Samamp VAC 40 profile anywhere?

• Love listening to Steve Albini. His recent video is about a Samamp V.A.C. 40, which sounded so raw. Wondering if there’s a profile anywhere.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• What would be your workflow for this?

Start on some med low gain profiles maybe a JTM45 or AC30/20 ish type, something with scratchy gain. Probably not a fender type circuit. Maybe even a plexi type with gain low and adjust to suit. I sure as heck wouldn't spend over $200.00 for that amp if I had a Kemper. I've been using some JCM800 profiles that get scratchy like this when gained down. As I said, IMO this sound is not that special, there's something that came with the Kemper that would get super close, just try some filtered by gain start low and work your way up adjusting EQ as you go. I think this tone is beneath the tone of most well done profiles and reminds me of a lot of "meh" sounds I've tried in rig exchange. Trust me when you bought a Kemper you at that point already own this amp and much much more..

• Start on some med low gain profiles maybe a JTM45 or AC30/20 ish type, something with scratchy gain. Probably not a fender type circuit. Maybe even a plexi type with gain low and adjust to suit. I sure as heck wouldn't spend over $200.00 for that amp if I had a Kemper. I've been using some JCM800 profiles that get scratchy like this when gained down. As I said, IMO this sound is not that special, there's something that came with the Kemper that would get super close, just try some filtered by gain start low and work your way up adjusting EQ as you go. I think this tone is beneath the tone of most well done profiles and reminds me of a lot of "meh" sounds I've tried in rig exchange. Trust me when you bought a Kemper you at that point already own this amp and much much more..

Thanks for this. I’ll have a go.

• He mostly just talked about the amp and played it for what seemed to be only a minute so I didn't ingest 100% of the character I'm sure, but I think this rig from the MB rig pack could get there (or better) especially with some studio EQ mids and gain adjusted. MB-VOICE ACE 501 K2 Try it and tell me what you think, Some of that "hollow tone" he was getting was coming from the way he was miking the amp, sounded like he was using a room mic maybe

• The claim is that using a light bulb in this way is 'absolutely novel and ingenious'. I disagree with that statement. This is just another way to accomplish attenuation and has been accomplished with many different circuit designs over the decades. There is nothing that special or interesting going on. Chokes, resistors, VVR, load boxes, etc... have been used to accomplish similar results with varying degrees of success. The main goal of these types of circuits is to keep the drive and base tone of the amp while reducing the volume. The Kemper is VERY good at this all by itself. Knowing the topology of the amp would be the best way to choose a profile that is close. Without it, you already have good recommendations.