Noob question about S/PDIF out into interface when recording

• I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP interface, as seen here:

Saffire Pro 24 DSP

I read on another forum (I think the Gear Page or Gearslutz) that when using the S/PDIF out on the KPA into the S/PDIF in on the Focusrite interface, you bypass the preamps and D/A converters on the interface.

What I'd like to know is if this is the case, what does this mean in a practical sense sound quality wise? Is it just that the Focusrite is passing the digital signal of the Kemper straight through to my DAW? Am I better off using the analog signal flow from the Kemper to my interface?

I'm very new to interfaces on the level of the Focusrite and DAWs, so any tips from the more experienced Kemper users, especially Fully Grown Male Individuals™, on their preferred signal flow would be welcome.

I'm not looking to take over from Alan Parsons or anything, but if there's a better way between the two types of connections sonically, then I'm interested.

Thanks

• Hey Sore, can you tell me more about that interface? How do you like it? I mainly use headphones at home due to noise etc... the integrated vrm sounds like it would be very helpful to mix with. Thoughts?

• I read on another forum (I think the Gear Page or Gearslutz) that when using the S/PDIF out on the KPA into the S/PDIF in on the Focusrite interface, you bypass the preamps and D/A converters on the interface.

Actually, by feeding the I\F with a digital signal you eliminate the need to have it converting an analog signal into a digital one. So, what you bypass are the Focursite A\D converters. And, since the KPA doesn't have to convert its digitally-generated signal into analog (because it supplies a digital signal to the I\F through S\PDIF), you also bypass the KPA's D\A converters.

All the above doesn't necessarily mean that the less conversions the best sound, because (as we all know) guitar signal is not Hi-Fi, and we're no interested in the purest possible signal but rather in a pleasant sound.