why does the same cab in different profiles have a different sound?

• My favourite profile to use with my Les Paul is the Plexi Cranked from the Amp Factory pack 1, so I tried using the cab from that profile with other rigs and sure enough it made those rigs sound better to my ears. (more like the Plexi :thumbup: ) Then I tried adding the cabs from the other Plexi rigs in the Amp Factory pack to a single amp and found to my surprise that there was a really big difference in tone between the cabs, even though it was the same cab and the same mic positions (I assume) in each of the plexi rigs. I am assuming that And44 only changed the amp settings between each Plexi profile and not the mic positions. Seems a safe assumption. It is certainly the same cabinet.
    So why the very different sounds from the same cabinet? It sounded to me like something of the Plexi amp character was moving with the cab, not just the cab itself.

• Well, probably that's because the KPA catches the interaction between amp and cabinet, so no "math" model can exactly subtract the amp part and let the cab be really alone as you do with IR's.
    More bass in the amp EQ will let the speaker move in a different way, and that's what the KPA takes. If you switch the amp you'll have a different final sound, and the cab will obviously keep some of its original rig. 8)
    If you prefere flat and switchable cabs you should take a look on rig exchange: some people did cab profiles using flat poweramps.

• The Kemper (and any real amp) works similar like this:
    Digital EQ - Distortion Generator - Digital EQ

During the profile process it tries to find out which frequencies need to be cut and boosted before the Distortion Generator and also which frequencies need to be cut and boosted after it.

The first Digital EQ settings are stored in the Amp block (beside other amp related parameters) the second Digital EQ settings are stored in the Cab block (beside other cab related parameters).

So in a real world profiling session e.g. creating 5 Marshall amp profiles with different tone stack settings (same gain setting, same mic, mic position and cabinet) - we'll get 5 identcal Amp settings and 5 different Cab settings in the KPA.

Most of the real amps tone stack setting is stored in the cab(!) block.

If we would use any other cab model for all 5 profiles then ALL 5 rigs would sound the same.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 2 times, last by Armin ().

• Thanks.