Interface vs. analog mixer

• I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which sounds pretty decent to play audio files back from the computer thru my JBL LSR 4326P monitors.
    I also plug the Kemper into the 2i2 but the h.p. vol. is very weak and the tone is just not even close to the sound I get when I plug my AKG K240DF phones directly in the Kemper.
    Should I upgrade my interface or instead, get a small high quality analog mixer ?

• I'm using a mixer only because I have other stuff plugged in. The sound shouldn't change... How are you connecting the 2 units? Did you tried adjusting the signal level and gain on the Scarlett?

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I'm coming out of the Kemper main rca's w the 2i2 set to line and the gain just about at noon, so as not to clip.
    The 2i2 is known to have low out put to the h.p.'s but the sound isn't even in the ballpark compared to the Kemper h.p. outs.
    It's convenient to only have an interface but I'm thinking I may need to add a mixer...

• I don't know if it's an issue related to the output level or you have it because you are missing the punch that direct monitoring gives.
    Do you feel the same if you route the audio interface in order to get direct monitoring?

• As the Scarlett only has 1 set of outs and if you don' t mind un and replugging may I suggest a decent headphone amp.

I have my KPA outs running into a matrix M-Stage powering AKG Q701's and the sound surpasses the KPA Hp.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• I have the 2i2 set to direct out. That's not the problem. The problem is the headphone amp section in the 2i2 sucks.
    I've been looking at the Mackie VLZ 402 mixer and I like what I see.

• I have the 802 and is really good! Never thought you could find so good preamps in that price range. Headphone is also good, and I have the 250 kohm DT 880 pro. Sounds better then plugged directly

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I have the 802 and is really good! Never thought you could find so good preamps in that price range. Headphone is also good, and I have the 250 kohm DT 880 pro. Sounds better then plugged directly

Do you also run your interface thru the Mackie ? If so, have you tried running it or anything thru the tape r.c.a. inputs ? I'm just thinking if the interface works thru the tape inputs , it would free up mike / line inputs.
    I'm very pleased to hear your low imp. h.p.'s sound that good thru the Mackie.

• Took your advice and bought an 802 and it's the best $200. I've spent on gear for this project.
    I can't believe what an improvement it's made to my sound. The h.p. mix is amazing and even the JBL monitors are sounding good.
    The interface does it;s job at converting digital signals from the 'puter into analog. It does an excellant job at that , but don't expect it to be dynamic. If you want dynamics, buy a mixer.