Master out sound quality: TS vs. XLR

• I just purchased a Zoom R8 recorder and I hooked it up to the Master Outs using the TS connectors as I don't have XLRs. My TS cables are ok quality and 10', but not Mogami quality. When comparing the headphone out on the R8 to the KPA, I must say that I was very disappointed in the R8. I couldn't get the volume and I couldn't get the same fatness of tone as the KPA headphone out. My headphones are Sennheiser HD598 50 ohms.

I need to go back and check the faders etc. again on the mixer and the master out on the KPA as maybe something was screwy...but I don't think this will help. So I'm wondering if there is a difference in quality between the XLR and TS outputs.

I'd hate to have to buy a headphone amp for the R8...

I even thought of putting the R8 in the effects loop of the KPA just to see if the unit is coloring the sound at all. Problem is, I don't have two TRS cables and I'm not sure if the TS cables would work well. I guess I could still try the TS cables.

Any thoughts? I've got 30 days to make a decision one way or the other.

thx!

• XLR are the same as TRS cables internally....they both have a hot cold and earth/ground wire, its just the connectors that are different on either end.

TS cables contain a hot and ground cable.

The only real difference is that TRS cables are capable of stereo functionality over the one cable, and it is generally better shielded against interference with mono signals over long distances. This last feature only applies if you are hooking it up to a balanced output.

TS cables on the other hand, carry only a mono signal and are used for connections to unbalanced outputs. They are also generally cheaper on a like-for-like comparison.
    Sound quality wise, both are the same for a mono source (like a guitar cable for instance), HOWEVER over long distances, the TS cable may (or may not) pick up some interference hum somewhere along the line. TRS cables are better designed to carry the signal cleanly over the distance.

There is a bit more to it than this, but this is about 95% or it in a nutshell.
    Oh and dont be fooled by "cable-philes" who spend rediculous amounts of money on cabling. A $400 cable will sound EXACTLY the same as a $10 cable in most circumstances. People who believe otherwise have more money than sense IMHO!