How do u go about setting up a rig

• Thought I'd get an idea how you guys out there go about setting up a preset you like.

I've got just over 800 profiles in my kemper and its driving me crazy :D every nite I sit in my studio for a couple of hours going through the profiles ( I've put the ones I like in favourites) trying to come up with just the right sound. I've been reading these forums and listening to people playing there favourite profile and god do some of these sound kick arse. Now I know a lot of it is the feel of the player, but I class myself as quite a reasonable player so I don't think it's that.

I play a PRS Dave Navarro modal guitar monitor my KPA through my PT HD system with KRK RP8 monitors so I'd class this a quite good gear, so I don't think it's that either.

Here is an example for you, I listened to someone on the forum playing through And44 JCM 800 profile it sounded killer so I downloaded it thinking hey I could use that sound but it didn't quite sound the same. Any thoughts on this along with some help and advise from you great lot on here would be much appreciated :)

• Difficult question on one hand, but easy on the other.

There are already thousands of very good profiles available, free ones and commercial ones, and even profiles that don't appeal to me instantly can be tweaked to really awesome results when you change cabs etc.
    Therefore, in order to not get lost in the rabbit hole forever, I demand the following for a profile:

It doesn't matter if it is hyped in the forums till the cows come home:
    1. If it doesn't attract me the first 20 secs of playing it I will ditch it, delete it and move on. Im very restrictive with myself here.
    2. If it attracts me I will put it aside, play with EQ, compression and other deper parameter to get a feeling for this profile.
    3. Eventually it becomes a favourite.
    4. Forget about a 'potentially better profile'.
    While it may be possible that it it exists I have learned that with the KPA I can forget about the search for a holy grail profile and simply play because it sounds that good. THIS was never the case with all the modellers I have used before the KPA.

• Hej Raoul23
    I feel your pain!!!
    i was in exact the same situation, 915 profiles, I was going nuts.
    I have all the profiles I have downloaded on my mac, so knowing they will always be there
    i went through the profiles and if they did not immeadiately have an impact I left them, the ones that did
    i marked as favorites.

I play (or try to ) heavy stuff so in addition to what I use now I also kept clean profiles that perhaps did not fit in with what I play just now I
    liked and then I pressed delete for all profiles except favorites - down to 187 profiles and I feel great, almost liberated. Yes maybe there are ok profiles
    out there that can be made great with a change of the cab or whatever but life is short and there is all those songs that need to be written.

just do it , all the profiles are still there either on your computer or on the exchange, there not going anywhere. when you have the time you can down load, one, or two , or twenty.
    I love kemperworld!

2005 gibson lp standard faded/frankenstein tele->kemper->adam a3x/LD systems mon 121