Ground Control Pro issue

• I use a Yamaha MFC10 MIDI Foot Controller. It can be programmed to turn the effects on and of: Each time I press a certain footswitch I toggle a certain effect in the Kemper. The problem is: The MFC10 toggles the state of the effect. This means that the first time I press the button, the effect will be turned on. But if the effect was allready on in the first place, nothing will happen. Therefore I will have to press the button a second time to send an effects off signal, which then really turns the effect off. If I now press the button a third time, the effect goes on again. BUT: Now I switch to another sound and press the same effects button again, it will probably send an eff-off signal this time, because the last time it sent an eff-on signal. See? The problem is that the MFC10 does not really toggle the state of the effect, it sends eff-on/eff-off alternately. Pure luck if this triggers what needs to be triggered. Possibly your foot controller does the same thing. I guess this is a problem with the MIDI code set, it contains eff-on and eff-off, but I believe it doesn't really contain a toggle code. A way to solve this would be to reprogram the Kemper in a way that it would toggle the effect each time it got an aproprate eff-on or eff-off message, regardless wich of the two messages it got. I hope this is of any help to you. best regards, Finn.

• I use a Yamaha MFC10 MIDI Foot Controller. It can be programmed to turn the effects on and of: Each time I press a certain footswitch I toggle a certain effect in the Kemper. The problem is: The MFC10 toggles the state of the effect. This means that the first time I press the button, the effect will be turned on. But if the effect was allready on in the first place, nothing will happen. Therefore I will have to press the button a second time to send an effects off signal, which then really turns the effect off. If I now press the button a third time, the effect goes on again. BUT: Now I switch to another sound and press the same effects button again, it will probably send an eff-off signal this time, because the last time it sent an eff-on signal. See? The problem is that the MFC10 does not really toggle the state of the effect, it sends eff-on/eff-off alternately. Pure luck if this triggers what needs to be triggered. Possibly your foot controller does the same thing. I guess this is a problem with the MIDI code set, it contains eff-on and eff-off, but I believe it doesn't really contain a toggle code. A way to solve this would be to reprogram the Kemper in a way that it would toggle the effect each time it got an aproprate eff-on or eff-off message, regardless wich of the two messages it got. I hope this is of any help to you. best regards, Finn.

I believe the GCP gives you the option of how you want it to react. I can choose to have it save the last state or on or off each time. Problem is that it is random at this point. Works perfectly for 5 minutes and then won't work the same way for the next minute.

• Received this reply from Kemper support. Can anyone explain this to me?

I'm not aware of such issues under any recent firmware. I'm personally using a Behringer FCB 1010 and am also testing with virtualmidifootcontroller freeware in combination with a simple Midi-USB-interface. Both are working seemlessly. The only issue being discussed and under investigation is the time it takes to load another rig. That's something we want to improve. Regarding MIDI CC# you are probably aware, that you have to associate 2 values to each of those. In order to switch any effect off, you send the corresponding Midi CC# e. g. 17 for Stomp A with a value of '0'. In order to switch it on again, you send a Midi CC# 17 with any value between 1 and 127. Sending a 127 while Stomp A is already switched on, has no effect. If your floorboard has just send a 127, it will send a 0 when you hit the button next time. If in the meantime you have loaded another rig, where Stomp A is off by default, sending a 0 will have no effect. In such a case you need to hit the button two times, because sending a 127 after the 0 will switch Stomp A on. That's Midi. And there is no synchronisation taking place between the Kemper Profiler (or any other device) and your floorboard. Universal floorboards practice one way communication only. The Kemper Profiler does understand Midi Program Change and Control Change. You need to set up your floorboard to not send any other meaningless commands

• The GCP sends CC and values 0 (CC off) or 127 (CC on). The expressions send CCs between 0 and 127. That´s all but has to work.

By the way: manual, site 10

NORMAL. The CC message is only sent when you press the instant access button. You press
    it once to turn it on, then again to turn it off.
    XMIT W/PRSET. This stands for “Transmit with Preset”. When you call up a preset on the
    Ground Control Pro, it will send out the current state (on or off) of this instant access
    button. Of course it turns on and off when you press the button too.
    MOMENTARY. This option means that it sends an “on” message when the instant access
    button is pressed, then sends an “off ” message when it is released.

What did you choose?

• I have it set to normal on all switches....to turn on or off. I also tried XMIT but got the same exact results as normal. It's strange because, as I said, sometimes the switches work as intended, while other times they have to be stepped on 3 times to work. I'm running firmware 1.02 on the GCP so now I'm wondering if that is the problem. I was told by Voodoo Lab that 1.02 should be fine for simple midi programming.

• "Normal" is correct, s/w 1.02 is correct too. Are some stomps programmed to ON in your presets of the kpa? Are the same CCs programmed to ON on your GCP?

This is how I have things set up on the GCP:

Switch IA 1: not using
    IA 2: phaser (stomp B) CC-18
    IA 3 - not using
    IA 4 - tuner CC31
    IA 5 - boost (stomp mod) CC24
    IA 6 - flanger (stomp D) CC20
    IA 7 - chorus (stomp C) CC19
    IA 8 - delay (delay stomp) CC27 for trails

These work around 90% of the time. The other 10% I have to step on them more than once for the Kemper to react.

I have 4 presets set up in the GCP.

GCP preset 1 - acoustic sound (IA 5, 7 and 8 are in the "on" position)
    GCP preset 2 - rhythm (IA 8 is "on")
    GCP preset 3 - heavy rhythm (IA 8 is "on")
    GCP preset 4 - Lead (IA 8 is "on")

These all work correctly when changing presets...it's the glitchy IA switches as you read above that I need to figure out. Hope this makes sense! The Kemper's stomps are all set to the correct "on/off" states for each preset when loaded.

• Just tested mine again (FW 1.12, btw) and I keep most of my fx off and then turn them on. When I do this, the GCP works perfectly. BUT, if I have something on like slot A and hit the footswitch to turn it off, it seems like the first time tells it to turn 'on' again, so it acts like it doesn't see it, second click turns it off. I also tried with XMIT on patch change or whatever it's called and normal setting, both behave the same. I hardly ever have fx turned on my patches to begin with, so I never really noticed it. If I did have something on I would need to turn off later, I'd tap it one time - as long as you don't change entire presets, it will remember that even if you hit other IAs and then it's a single tap. Kinda a pain in the ass though.

I haven't seen it act otherwise and tested the crap out of it this morning - it's a 100% thing. I have mine set to channel 1 on the footswitch and kemper, and channel 2 is a TC nova system.

Pete

• http://forum.fractalaudio.com/…sues-axe-fx-standard.html

Check out the link above, it describes how the GCP is working for me with the 'double click' if something is already on. I also tried with a MIDI cable going from the out of the Kemper to the In on the GCP, no dice.

Also, the guy there has an intermittent issue with the GCP not always working the same way - it was his midi cable. I'd try a backup cable if I were you, and if you don't have one - GET ONE. Especially since you gig, I had one go out on me at a gig and I would have scewed if I didn't carry a backup.

Pete