Distortion Sens Parameter - I'm not getting it

• I've read what the "wiki" PDF has to say about it, and it just confused me further. What does this parameter do and how do you set it?

The reason I'm asking, is when I play a real Tube Screamer into the front of the KPA, there is FAR more gain than if I play it into the front of the real amp that I profiled.

• Then turn the Distortion sense down. It balances the different outputs from different guitars, but playing with a pedal in front I would turn it all the way down. If it is still not enough you can put a booster with negative value in A

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• You can set it global if you lock the input section (though you can save different presets for different guitars) or per Rig if you leave it unlocked.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I've read what the "wiki" PDF has to say about it, and it just confused me further. What does this parameter do and how do you set it?

It is like a global Gain fine tuning. Set it to <0.0> and forget it.

The reason I'm asking, is when I play a real Tube Screamer into the front of the KPA, there is FAR more gain than if I play it into the front of the real amp that I profiled.

I would turn down the Volume of the Tube Screamer. Or turn down the Gain on your KPA rig.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Maybe it is a feature that is not created from a demand but rather created from a possibility that the special way the KPA is designed offers. You don't have to use every single parameter on an amp that the inventor offer you, do you? It works fine if you leave it on zero. Anyway it is not meant for extreme changes like you are looking for with your TS.

But BuckeyeBrown's explanation is very interesting. Meditate on that I will ...

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited 2 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• It makes sense a vintage strat would need more Distortion Sense for High Gain. The opposite is also true. High output pickups need less than average Distortion Sense with other people's profiles.

Not all of us have just guitars with 5k strat pickups. If you have hotter than average pickups, like the 11k+ to 13k vintage pickups in my old Hamers, and the gold/blue lace sensor at the bridge of may strat (which also has a Clapton boost in it), all profiles will have more gain when you play them than people's soundclip examples. You can either edit them all, one at a time, or do what I did. Decrease the Distortion sense, so those hot pickup guitars will sound roughly the same with unedited user and factory stock as intended. I Locked the Input, and saved a "stage guitars" Input setting and a second Input setting for my passive pickup strat and dual P90 12-string, and my vintage Les Paul.

• It makes sense a vintage strat would need more Distortion Sense for High Gain. The opposite is also true. High output pickups need less than average Distortion Sense with other people's profiles.

Umm... no, not really.
    The 'average' distortion sense would be exactly Zero which is the default setting.
    Increasing this makes sense only if you wish to have more gain for all rigs if you have only low output pickups (which IMO would be undesirable because in this case you would drive any profile too hard and miss on the goodness of vintage single-coils). I would prefer to drive specific profiles anytime by inreasing the specific gain or use a boost.

Decrease the Distortion sense, so those hot pickup guitars will sound roughly the same with unedited user and factory stock as intended.

Exactly this normally shouldn't be possible as dist sense defaults to zero.
    If somebody uploads a profile with dist sense other than zero I will usually not be affected by this (maybe don't even realize it) as my input is locked for my guitars.
    But actually my thesis is: if somebody tinkered with the dist sense before uploading it the chance is that the profile in itself doesn't sound very good or at least unusual.

My conclusion is to second CK's proposal: Hands off distortion sense except for unusal/temporary tasks (like somebody borrows you a guitar just before a gig because yours is broken and the pickups are much lower than the ones you normally use). ;)

• My conclusion is to second CK's proposal: Hands off distortion sense except for unusal/temporary tasks (like somebody borrows you a guitar just before a gig because yours is broken and the pickups are much lower than the ones you normally use). ;)

Mhhh ... a very good explanation this is!

[Blocked Image: http://www.audiosemantics.de/FORUMS/Yoda.jpg]

www.audiosemantics.de

• It depends entirely on your guitar(s).

BTW - CK is who said he might increase distortion sense if the wanted to use High Gain sounds with his low output pickups.

If you have hotter than average pickups, all profiles will react accordingly, and they will have more gain than with a guitar with less output.

If I hear a profile that I like the sound of, using the Input Setting I have for my hot pickup guitars gives me that sound.

If I had not adjusted the Distortion Sense, I would have to edit literally every profile for it to sound like a soundclip.

• Yes, but hot pickups will remain hot pickups.
    And you can't lower distortion sense below zero which is the default.
    To weaken hot PU's you would lower clean sense instead.

What CK said about low output pickups OTOH makes perfect sense, like I tried to outline above. 8)

• And you can't lower distortion sense below zero which is the default.

Wrong! These two different scopes are another reason for all this confusion about the "Senses":
    Clean Sense goes from 0 to 10
    Dist Sense goes from -5 to +5 with default at <0.0>
    I am shure there is some logic in this. I just didn't get until now.

There are many good examples here why it is good to have a global input adjustment for different PU outputs. But so far I did not find a single good explanation here on what is the use of having two different adjustments, one for Clean and one for Distortion. And what is meant by "clean sound" and a "distorted sound"? For me every clean sound needs to have a tiny bit of grit of saturation in it and every crunch sound certainly has lots of clean parts, especially in the pianissimo range and in the ring out phase of every note.

www.audiosemantics.de

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• Wrong! These two different scopes are another reason for all this confusion about the "Senses":
    Clean Sense goes from 0 to 10
    Dist Sense goes from -5 to +5 with default at <0.0>

I stand corrected.

Now PAULTS's examples make at least some sense to me.

For me every clean sound needs to have a tiny bit of grit of saturation in it and every crunch sound certainly has lots of clean parts, especially in the pianissimo range and in the ring out phase of every note.

I agree with you on this as I want my cleans to have a bit of grit as well.
    If my memory serves me well the Roland JC 120 is the only amp I have played that doesn't break up even a little bit when cranked.

• For a long time I was really horrified by RolandJC120 exactly because of this "really allout dry" reputation. But then one gig there was no alternitive, I had to use a JC120 - and was big surprised how good it can sound! (With the right crunch pedal...)

Back to that "Stop Making Sense" topic, there is one good thing in all this confusion: you cannot set it terribly wrong. It won't destroy the whole sound if you set the DistSense "wrong" (if there is). But until the day I understand it better I will stick to the "don't ask don't tell" doctrine.

www.audiosemantics.de

• Don't worry, Ingolf. The confusion comes from the mothership.

www.audiosemantics.de