In Search of the Holy Grail, Part IV (Vai, For the Love of God)

• i have good news. "christoph kemper" (is it a joke or what?)
    has uploaded a rig, which has got 5 stars and is good. its name is VAI.GOD
    i have used it to record the first 2 choruses of the song here
    at least this is a beginning. there are some frequencies that disturb me nevertheless with my pickup.
    maybe because i dont have a neck pickup? any ideas how to improve this one for my guitar?

What guitar are you using? I had a quick test last week with the profile when it was released. Sorry for all the mistakes (it's all one big mistake lol!!!) I haven't played it in 3 years (and even then I wasn't that good). I used my Peavey Custom Signature (dual humbuckers) fixed bridge. It might be a bit too trebly, but, you get the idea. I also used Kemper reverb, but, no wah (and no skill lol). http://soundcloud.com/user8278…r-the-love-of-god/s-VHjFA :whistling:

Peavey>Kemper>VAI.GOD+Reverb>RME Babyface>Clevo P150 laptop>Win7 64bit>Reaper 64bit.

• vai

okay karl, good one

knockout in the second chorus and the win for Karl!

charvel evh
    >kemper>VAI:GOD>Tascam-US122>CubaseEssential5.1>Win8

no,no i dont think it is too trebly. my charvel has
    only a bridge Humbucker. did you use the neck pickup? what does fixed bridge
    mean. that the tremolo goes in one direction only? i.e. down? have it, too!

any idea how to improve on the sound via eq? i dont know much about tweaking
    profiles.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited 7 times, last by Geraldo7 ().

• i am sorry for the last post of mine, but i tried to change this strange format in vain! sorry!

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• I used all bridge pickup, that was a mistake aswell as it should have been neck pickup, which is why 2nd note is wrong lol cause I looked down to check pickup sound hearing it was wrong. The original starts with neck pickup. My peavey doesn't have a trem n at the time I was too lazy to get the jem555 out. The closest I've got to the sound is using guitar rig 5 and it's preset called God's Love.

• I've made 2 profiles for you to try. Gods Love GR5 and Gods Love GR5 2. The first is just one refinement, the 2nd is 2 refinements. For some reason the 2nd one is a bit duller sounding, but, I uploaded it incase someone finds it useful. Both have delay and reverb effects on, but, they've not been tweaked much.

I think my 2 profiles sound much closer to the original song (especially the first one), but, isn't neccessarily everyone's cup of tea due to it's "digital" nature. It also seems to be a bit noisy when you're not playing.

You could improve these further by adding wah, but, that's up to you how you use (or don't) them. I have checked the quality with my Jem 555 and they sound pretty close tbh.

Also, this isn't anywhere near the quality of Vai.God, because that profile sounds awesome on it's own and should be considered the go-to profile if you actually want to play a realistic amp profile. My profile is only really FTLOG use.

Anyway, try it, tweak it and see what you think. Thanks.

• Hi guitarwork, credit where it's due. Great profile. What amp did you use?

I modify from christoph kemper's profile as I've mention in my post, but can not change the author name to be me, so even I modified and posted with my name but author name still be christoph kemper.

who knows how to change the author name after modification ?

• I modify from christoph kemper's profile as I've mention in my post, but can not change the author name to be me, so even I modified and posted with my name but author name still be christoph kemper.

who knows how to change the author name after modification ?

Ok, what's the name of the original profile? I assume it's a factory profile.

• I've now refined the delay and reverb settings to match closer the baseline preset which is very close to ftlog. It's not 100% yet, but, the space is there and sits better in the mix. Does anyone want those fx settings? They also go well with vai.god.

• here is a funny story. i have spent a considerable amount of my money over the past years (from 2006-11)
    in a pro shop in the middle of nowhere between augsburg and ulm.
    a short while after i had purchased my beloved red goddess there, the evh charvel series for 3 grand, i wanted to check
    a new amp, because i was not satisfied with my soldano hot rod.
    and - believe it or not - steve vai had just finished the german leg of his latest european tour (ca. 2008???).
    unfortunately i cannot remember the date exactly. this would be important, because i have changed the terrible humbucker
    mister eddie van halen wants in his guitar to the beautiful sounding DiMarzio 166DP166BK, which suits my tone much better and
    AFAIK this is exactly the pickup stevie has used ...
    anyway, i had the honour to play the carvin legacy top of mister steve vai himself. his signature on the back with white marker still fresh.
    i used his 4x12 of carvin as well. AND the amp was offered for a price considerably below 2000 euros, so you can imagine my face 8o 8o 8o ...

before me the magic amp the master himself played and touched ...

i started with the clean channel, everything @12'o'clock. 30 minutes later, after a considerable amount of firing funk riffs through the aisles of
    the shop, i seriously considered buying this gem. but - just for the fun of it - i wanted to check the gain channel before using my credit card, too. ;(
    good idea. bad for the shop. 8)

i hope i am not going to be lapidated by some of you: the sound from the carvin crunch channel was awful, transistor-like, chainsawish and flat.
    to this very day i do not understand how in the world steve vai gets his sound out of this amp. i do not know for sure, but i can imagine that the master
    uses the clean channel which is terrific and superb and gets the tone out of boutique pedals and expensive effects. at least with my guitar and my hands
    no way of achieving at least a decent rock tone of some kind. i am very curious whether andi's profile will prove me wrong or right ...

just wanted to share the story and remember: you are your sound. cheers.

• In my old archive boxes :D ...I found an old "Young Guitar : Special Steve Vai" Japanese magazine, (dated from 2002, from memory) which inside , Steve explained his gear used for some of his tracks.

For the recording of "For the love of god", Steve said he used a combination of ADA MP1 preamp with Marshall JMP Hot Rod (JMP modded by Lee Jackson and/or Jose Arredondo), with some effects like reverb (Lexicon), delay etc

If it can helps to build a profile... :)

• haha, Geraldo I dunno what the real carvin sounds like, but, the kemper profiles x something are crap for FTLOG. Haven't tried Tender Surrender, but, I just don't like the sound.

• haha, Geraldo I dunno what the real carvin sounds like, but, the kemper profiles x something are crap for FTLOG. Haven't tried Tender Surrender, but, I just don't like the sound.

Have you tried Erik Stam's Legacy profiles. Pretty good starting point if you're heading towards Vai's -sound. IMHO of course...

• yes the carvin profiles wont do for FTLOG, not even the nu one of ANDI
    i will try the Eric stam's again. still not totally satisfied with the VAI.GOD

• I just bought the new Carvin profiles- as you already noticed:-)
    I will try to get as close as I can.

Perhaps the sound will fit :)

• Can't wait to hear your sound munky. Got a PRS Torero on the way for some riffin.

The hardest thing to get right for the sound which other fx boxes and vst like GR5 do really well is the smoothness in the basic tone. The lack of detail in the distortion actually helps achieve the sound we want. With Kemper you hear the real meat of the amp in the profile which isn't what we want for FTLOG sound. Good delay and reverb settings helps to smooth things out. My delay settings are pretty much done, but, having minor problem replicating the reverb exactly. Almost there. I'm working all wkend, but, will work on it some more on Tuesday and then post my settings for you all to try.

Edited once, last by Karl ().