Mytek Digital Converter

• Hi,
    In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5tDN2FVjOM) of Animals As Leaders rig they say that they don't use the digital to analog converter inside their AxeFxs anymore and instead they are using the Mytek Digital Converter because it has a higher sampling rate.
    What is that for? Does the Axe have such a bad sampling rate?

Our Kemper does the opposite, right? - Everything is in analog and then it is converted to digital for the outputs... ?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong!

• You are wrong, since all digital devices have an A/D and a D/A converters.
    In general i'd say that dedicated converters (sometimes costing the same price of the digital device used for processing the signal) give a better conversion.
    What i wonder is if humans can really hear differences. I think that we cannot do it.

BTW, you can get more noticeable results by using an high quality DAC converting the signal from a digital device instead than feeding the device with an high quality ADC.

• Jimmyno is right, often dedicated converters cost more than the source, and by a good reason!

While we can discuss if the average guitar player can perceive any difference using a 5,000 € converter, the differences come more to life where the rig allows for such subtleties, for example in a high-level hi-fi system. How much you perceive them is a matter of specific (maybe guided) training and knowing what to listen to.

In this case, while on stage any difference may be negligible, in studio things may be quite different, and I perfectly see Alan Parson or the Pink Floyd relying on such expensive units for a pristine sound.

This is probably going to open a can of worms, since I know that the "this is just hype" party is quite crammed. As for me, having been in touch with people who can detect a change of cables in a hi-fi system, I'll keep my opinion, which is true also for 16- vs. 24- bit and 44 vs 196 kHz conversion.

[where's the "hide-under-the-table" icon when one needs it? :D ]

• Ok, so then what is the point in converting a digital modeling amp signal to analog?
    Does this actually make the sound better or does it just sound better to say: "The signal is analog."? ;)

And if you listen to a song on your pc or mp3-player, ipod etc. isn't this always a digital signal you're listening to? ?(

• isn't this always a digital signal you're listening to? ?(

...no, is converted to analog (D/A conversion). 101000101010010101001010100101110100101 doesn't make any sound....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Actually the DA converter is 1,500 Euro and the AD converter to the left is 900 Euro.
    Regarding studio work ... I doubt these big names use Mytek gear for DA conversion. AD on the other hand can make sense, especially when using vintage gear with modern DAW.

Cheers,
    Martin

Hey Martin,
    I was speaking generally, not referring to Mytek. My point is, it may make sense to use - say - a 900€ DVD player and skip its D\A converters to use a 5,000 € external unit instead.

If you're recording on analog tape, for example, you need a D\A conversion at some stage. It may make sense, if you have a converter you know and like, and trust above everything else, to use it for every conversion.
    In the pro realm almost no-one makes things (i.e. investing thousands of bucks) just because it's cool!

As Guitarnet pointed out, your loudspeakers\headphones need an analog (i.e. tension, current, impedance) signal to be driven. This means that, at some stage, your mp3 - or any other file format - underwent a D\A conversion to supply an analog signal to the poweramp\headphone amp :)
    In many situation, when you know what to listen to, replacing a cheap D\A converter (like those you find in iPods or non-audio pro computers) with a better one gives perceivable differences. Whether the experience is worth the investment is up to the listener!

• ...no, is converted to analog (D/A conversion). 101000101010010101001010100101110100101 doesn't make any sound....

If you're recording on analog tape, for example, you need a D\A conversion at some stage. It may make sense, if you have a converter you know and like, and trust above everything else, to use it for every conversion.
    In the pro realm almost no-one makes things (i.e. investing thousands of bucks) just because it's cool!

As Guitarnet pointed out, your loudspeakers\headphones need an analog (i.e. tension, current, impedance) signal to be driven. This means that, at some stage, your mp3 - or any other file format - underwent a D\A conversion to supply an analog signal to the poweramp\headphone amp :)
    In many situation, when you know what to listen to, replacing a cheap D\A converter (like those you find in iPods or non-audio pro computers) with a better one gives perceivable differences. Whether the experience is worth the investment is up to the listener!

Ah, thank you guys!
    I think(/hope) I've got it now: Your Instrument produces an analog signal -> that you can either record analog or digital ->
    if you put the recorded analog signal on vinyl it stays analog an no A/D convertion is needed, but if you put it on a digital medium like a CD or mp3 a good A/D converter makes sense -> and if you finally listen to the record on your PA or CD-player or PC... the player or soundcard converts the signal back to analog so you can hear something (so a very expensive D/A-C. only make sense if you have a very good PA or speakers).
    Right? 8o

Edited once, last by seNums ().

• guys!
    I think(/hope) I've got it now: Your Instrument produces an analog signal -> that you can either record analog or digital ->
    if you put the recorded analog signal on vinyl it stays analog an no A/D convertion is needed, but if you put it on a digital medium like a CD or mp3 a good A/D converter make sense -> and if you finally listen to the record on your PA or CD-player or PC... the player or soundcard converts the signal back to analog so you can hear something (so a very expensive D/A-C. only make sense if you have a very good PA or speakers).
    Right? 8o

That´s right. However, the onboard converters in most state of the art audio interfaces or digital mixers are already so good that you won´t need a dedicated hi end converter. Those devices made way more sense 10 or 20 years ago when onboard digital converters with a good snr and frequency balance were still expensive.

• That´s right. However, the onboard converters in most state of the art audio interfaces or digital mixers are already so good that you won´t need a dedicated hi end converter. Those devices made way more sense 10 or 20 years ago when onboard digital converters with a good snr and frequency balance were still expensive.

Yes, I know what you mean. And that's why it suprised me so much that Tosin and the other guy have DACs in their LIVE rigs....

• Considering the frequency range of a guitar signal this a joke... The quality of the converters in the KPA are already overkill as are the ones in the AXE too, i bet.

As long as ff you are not into recording classical music i would not even care for such snake oil.

While this might be the experience for most users, it's not entirely true. The KPA doesn't output a guitar signal only, but a much richer and wider signal, with fx, reverb tails, harmonix and sub-harmonix and the like.
    The difference from a low-lever reverb tail sampled @ 16 bit (which leaves just the least 3-4 bits for coding the tail) and the same signal sampled @ 24 bit\196 kHz is definitely audible. Again, to anyone to decide whether it is worth the investment.

OTOH, a correct A\D\A conversion has only not to do with the extension of the frequency response, but with the discrimination of the level nuances, with the stability of the "image" and other critical factors.

Ah, thank you guys!
    if you put the recorded analog signal on vinyl it stays analog an no A/D convertion is needed, but if you put it on a digital medium like a CD or mp3 a good A/D converter makes sense -> and if you finally listen to the record on your PA or CD-player or PC... the player or soundcard converts the signal back to analog so you can hear something (so a very expensive D/A-C. only make sense if you have a very good PA or speakers).
    Right? 8o

Well, actually the story is a bit different.
    If you use a digital mixer, for example, you use an A\D converter when you voice\guitar\drums\etc enter the mixer. if you then for example record on an analog tape, you need a D\A converter... and so on.

Anyway, the OP talks about a D\A converter, that is the digital signal processed by the KPA (which is normally converted in analog and made available at the Main Outs) is taken via S/PDIF and - as digital - converted in analog through an external (much more expensive) converter.

the onboard converters in most state of the art audio interfaces or digital mixers are already so good that you won´t need a dedicated hi end converter. Those devices made way more sense 10 or 20 years ago when onboard digital converters with a good snr and frequency balance were still expensive.

I don't believe it's a matter of actually needing it, but rather of a higher quality.
    A 1,000 € converter doesn't sound like a 5,000 € one, if you know what to listen to.

While many people in many situations would not perceive differences, research and seeking for quality is part of mankind evolution and progress. Saying that something which sounds better is basically useless would mean to stop progress.

I believe there's no need to create two parties, they're just tools for those who want to search for more quality. And yes, they sound differently.
    :)

• The first time i listened to music through my M-Audio studio-grade soundcard i couldn't believe what i was hearing.
    I had good studio monitors at the time, but up until then i was using my soundblaster 16 (remember these :D ).
    The difference was astounding - and the only difference is the quality of converters.

The second time this happened was when i went all digital via S/Pdif, meaning i pulled two converters out of my signal chain. Again, huge difference.

By the way, do different converters induce different latency?..
    If so, this could be another reason.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."