Kemper in fx return of a tube amp

• Need some advice how i could get my kemper to sound better when connected through fx loop in my tube amps.
    When i do a profile of my amp, in this case evh 5150 i'm very happy with the result of the profile.
    If i use monitor out and connect it in fx return the sound is far off the original sound (i have turned cab off in monitor settings)
    i even tried a cab from a profile with no cab in it, and the result is better (less harsh) i have tried all cabs in my kemper and i doesn't matter which cab i choose, the real amp sound much more open.
    anyone with similar feeling and know some tricks to get it closer?
    i have also tried adjust with monitor eq but still far off.
    i guess i could use all other eq's in kemper but feeling it should not be needed. i do understand that this isn't the main purpose of the kemper, but have read alot of user that are happy when used in this way to.
    i was kind of happy at first but after comparing i feel a little sad ;)

• i did a new profile and did a comparison to help you understand what i am trying to say.
    I reamped a di to get a fair comparison. i did all this in a hurry so maybe i could have done the profile a little better, but it's good enough to demonstrate what i mean, we all describe sounds different and what i ask is if anyone have any tips to get closer to the sound that comes direct from kemper.
    There maybe differ a little in volume, but it is easy to hear what i mean anyway.

First clips is Real amp
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/real
    Kemper Profile
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/kemper
    Kemper through evh fx return.
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/kemper-evh
    Kemper through evh fx return with no cab selected.
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/kemper-evh-no-cab
    Kemper through marshall slx fx return
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/kemper-marshall
    Kemper through marshall with no cab seleced.
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/kemper-marshall-nocab
    Kemper through mesa mark 3 fx return (gpq off)
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/kemper-mesa
    Kemper through mesa with no cab selected (gpq off)
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/kemper-mesa-nocab
    Kemper through Peavey T-max fx return (solid state)
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/kemper-peavey-ss
    Kemper through Peavey T-max fx return (solid state) no cab selected
    https://soundcloud.com/thumas/kemper-peavey-ss-nocab

Edited 2 times, last by Thumas ().

• Well, the Kemper is primarily a studio tool.
    If you're playing it live, it would be expected that you run to the FOH or use FRFR monitors - it's ability to run through an FX loop is an added bonus by what i gather.

It works reasonably well if you adjust your amp accordingly. I still haven't run mine full blast but i imagine some tinkering will be needed to make it sound as good.
    CK claimed, with the release of the 'cabdriver' thing through the monitor out, that you no longer need to use a 'bypass cab', just turn the cab off. Are you using the monitor out?

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• hi thumas,

i had the same problem almost a year ago. here is the old thread.

follow guitarnets suggestions, it can't do any harm AFAIK and it could solve the problem. 8o

after that i NEVER ever had any problem with my KPA via fx return. and i tried 3 amps with this method, somehow things got
    f&%§&§ed up and the restart solved it
    even my band colleague was envious about my sound which the KPA as a preamp produced
    (btw he had the total opposite approach. hundreds of effects and pedals before the amp and sounded good as well)

so maybe in a few minutes you will be a happy guy. this kind of amplification is no additional feature, this is a must for a touring/gigging musician.
    cu

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• is the miking position absolutely identical in the four cases?
    if not. try to repeat the profiling AND the recording and post those new 4 files.
    it is really strange that number 4 is not closer to the original.
    but if you changed the mike position or/and it points towards the center of the speaker
    harshness can be the result. maybe this helps.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Can you closely match the original using the monitor out eq? (Specially the presence, I would turn it down a notch and adjust the rest accordingly) The tools are there to be used.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• If you are planning on using a rig connecting to the fx return of an amp I think the only good solution is to actually profiling from the fx send instead from a miked cab...
    There are some rigs on the exchange made from di fx send, give them a try if they sounds good to you, remember NOT to switch off the CAB on the STACK section!

• i have read it again and again. do you have another amp?
    can you play your 5150 profile to your cab via another power amplifier?
    maybe, just maybe the effect loop of your original amp does the colouring.
    if not, i have no idea. sorry.
    tell us when you succeeded.

• Thumas,

thx for your work here. I also put some time into investigating these problems. The real problem is not only on the KPA side here. It´s because the power amp sections in tube amps (mostly heads but also rack gear) are not standarized in how they alter the sound of the preamp signal that they are usually fed with. There are no standarizations in how tube amps are built so you don´t know which components of the signal chain belong to the preamp and which ones belong to the power amp section. This will result in one amp having a harsh sounding preamp and a mellow sounding power amp, which together sounds great. However, another amp builder build his amps differently, with the result being a dull sounding preamp and a harsh sounding power amp. If you now combine these two together, the results may sound great but also may sound horrible. All in all, this is just a matter of luck and is not predictable in any way.

I own about 7 tube amps and compared how they sound when their power amp section is fed by the same preamp signal. The results were sooo off, you wouldn´t believe it. From dull and muffled to screaming treble there was everything.

The KPA only sees the Amp sound as a whole since it cannot profile the preamp and power amp section individually. It only strips off the cab portion and the cabdriver makes sure that the monitor out sound is balanced. Every power amp will react differently to the sound. For example the two ENGL rack tube power amps i own put a lot of extra low end into the sound, which too much for many rigs. My Marshall power amps sound a lot more balanced.

I think the best solution in the long run will be linear solid state power amps.

• Geraldo7:
    I still has the same mic position in my music room so i could run a new reamp with a different amp and se what the difference is.

paults:
    When i refine i usually just play a lot of different stuff, some metal chuggs, some open chords some lead lines and i strike pretty hard on the strings, i don't think it matters in this case even if the profile differ a little,
    when i did this profile yesterday i was not well setup and had everything in the same room so i was hard to hear how successful i was with the profiling so i just ran the profiling and did one refining and hoped for the best.
    It's not too much off if you listen to the real and kemper clip .. one funny thing is that the kemper had more bass, usually when i did profiles before the kemper had less bass.
    Also tried a lot of other profiles and they all had the same bad character.

tylerhb:
    What you are saying are making sense, probably my evh's poweramp are a bad fit with kemper. But i do have a few other amps and will try a few of them and se the difference, i will post those clips up here to.
    Probably a solid state is the best solution, too bad i don't have one to try out here.

Thanks you all for helping me.

• short notice:
    the two (!) mesas, both sound best. this is a hint like tyler said that indeed the
    poweramp can colour the signal. solution #1: use the mesa!

problem number 2: what kind of interface do you use. there i KNOW are
    big differences between a cheap soandso and a good A/D sampling sound card
    the one i used for years had a metallic taste audible when recorded and nothing else changed.

hope that helps a little ...

• I have a Esi juli@ and a soundcraft mixer, thinking of a upgrade and run spdif.

Evh was worst with kemper, the other amps were less harsh, have to try compensate with mids on monitor eq to get closer to the real amp, hope it works out well.

• I can´t really say how scientific the approach was when CK developed the Cabdriver. I think he asked for early user opinions on how they adjusted their corrective monitor EQs and applied those settings into the cabdriver. Though this works pretty good, there maybe might still be room for improvement.

Maybe it would be a good idea to use a spectrum analyzer and compare the signals of an original amp´s speaker output signal vs. the speaker output signal of neutral solid state amp that is fed by the cab driver. Perhaps, a complete match is not possible, but maybe it could still get a little closer.

Maybe we could work together here. At the moment i don´t have a neutral solid state amp at home. Would a PA Poweramp work?

• i actually have peavey t-max bass amp here that is ss, i could try reamp with the kemper in loop of that and see what happends, best i got
    mic position is still available here i give it a shot.
    don't know anything about the analyzer though