Please recommend an epic strings type effect

• Hi all, are there any "epic strings" type effects in the rig exchange or otherwise?

I'm looking for that orchestral-type sound/effect. Especially ones that could be bought in gradually with volume pedal.

Thanks in advance!

• Hi all, are there any "epic strings" type effects in the rig exchange or otherwise?

I'm looking for that orchestral-type sound/effect. Especially ones that could be bought in gradually with volume pedal.

Thanks in advance!

Look for recent profiles made by Paul (paults).
    He has done some very clever stuff with the harmonizer.

• Karl,

If you want the sound of real people playing bass, cello, viola, violin, you would need to use the Roland GR55, Fishman Tripleplay, etc.

But there are some profiles on the Rig Exchange that sound similar to 1970s/1980s synthesizer sounds. (Thanks for the compliments, Ingolf!)

Look for Touchlayersyn and Ensemble synth.

And, there are two older profiles that may be useful.

VoxcelloDoosynth and Vowelotron2 were put on the Exchange last December - they are also the last two sounds in the Soundcloud collection.

• One particular sound? or all of them?

Is there also a keyboardist in the band, and/or a second guitarist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtemrZ7-pj0

The sound that comes in at 0:50, but, the actual sound I want is from 1:20 onwards. It's played with a cello bow. Masses of delay and reverb on it too, but, the sensitivity, harmonics and particular distorted sound is what I like about it, very expressive.

I also really like Crystal-type sounds for which I see you made one. Any enhancements towards that direction please?

I'm a massive Jonny Greenwood and Radiohead fan and love their spacial guitar stuff. Perhaps "epic strings" wasn't the best way to describe what I'm after, but, now I've named some artists I hope to find similar sounds, thanks for your help Paults. Seems like you're the fx guy around here :D

Edited once, last by Karl ().

• Tryed some of them, but i don't really get the vibe from paults profiles. But the new firmware has some pitch-effects you can tweak. I got some pretty cool synth-like effects.

• [size=12] I agree - the processed guitar sound is a different fundamental sound thant thise Rigd. The sounds does have delay and reverb effects that are similar to the ones in some of the synth rigs.

In that song, the tone of the guitar and amp are providing the tone and distortion.

Using a bow is a good idea.

If you don't want to do that, Play without a pick - use your fingers
    Pitch = Chromatic
    Chord Smoothing= ON or OFF (try both ways)
    Pitch = 0,0
    Pitch mix = 100%
    Ducking = .1 or more ( this will change your attack, and make the notes fade in, more like a bow than a pick)

For the effect, Try something like this:

Delay = 200 to 300ms
    Ducking = start with -1 ( this will give you the 'reverse' swell effect.
    Feedback = 65% to 90% (you want that kind of sustain, without it holding too many notes)
    Delay mix = 50% to almost 100% ( as you get closer to 100%, you feel something like 200 to 300ms "latency")

Reverb = Hall
    Size = 1.5 to 3.5 (if it starts to sound like a concert hall, too much)
    Reverb mix = 100/30 to 100%
    Reverb/Delay mix = -1 to as much as you like
    Ducking = 0 (probably - you can try greater than zero)
    Keep the reverb Tone relatively neutral. Too bright won't sound like the song - too dark would sound less like a guitar.

• I do have an ebow that I can use for 1 string stuff, but, it's no bow. With a bow you get a lot of harmonic content that is different to everything else. Even a sustainer is limited in comparison, but I dont fancy getting rosin all over my guitar. I actually had a blast playing your crystalike profile paults. Using volume knob I can do Radiohead-like organ similar to their song Motion picture soundtrack.