Does anybody know a really momentary footswitch?

• I am looking for a footswitch that I can connect to the EXP jack of the KPA so that when I push down the switch a stomp is ON and when I release it the stomp is OFF. So it has to quickly close and open the circuit when pushed down and on releasing it should do the same again: quickly close and open the circuit. Haven't heard of anything like that so far. But maybe someone among you men here can give me a hint.

I found out that the new pitch effect (one voice a second up and the other a second down) is great for creating clusters on the guitar. I like clusters a lot, but they should be up only for very short moments. If it is on too long it turns it all into "attack of the killer tomatoes".

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Unfortunately what you describe is exactly a temporary switch....that the Kemper use as a normal switch.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Yes, that is the problem. The Kemper interprets one circle of close and open as just one switching. A footswitch that does the whole circle on pushdown alone and on release once again might be very rare. I fear I will have to take some tapdancing lessons to create the sound that I am thinking of...

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• ....or you could connect an exp. pedal leaving the plug set as switch....it could work...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• No. I just tried it:

Heel down > on. Toedown > nothing. Heeldown > off. Toedown > nothing.

That's even more gymnastics.

www.audiosemantics.de

• .....you cannot change the range with the volume pot on the pedal? With the Boss you can...

• With the BOSS it is the other way round:
    Toedown is ON, then Heeldown makes nothing, the next Toedown is OFF and Heeldown again nothing.
    And the Range pot only makes that at a certain point there is no more reaction at all.

Such a "really momentary footswitch" could also be interesting for Dub guys. When just a short footstep opens a send into a delay line...

www.audiosemantics.de

• By definition, you already have a "momentary" switch. It is not latched or maintained when released. The issue is the KPA's reaction to the signal. The KPA is toggling on the 0 to 1 state of the switch. What you need is a switch the generates a pulse on both off to on an on to off events....there no such footswitch that I've seen. Perhaps CK could add a mode to make switches momentary or latch like others do.

bd

• there no such footswitch that I've seen

Yes. I also never saw something like this. Right now I am asking Mr. Google - but he is also not wiser.

And I fear that such a switch yould be mecanically very unrelyable. Because it would have to do lots of switching circuits in one movement. A software solution would be cool indeed.

www.audiosemantics.de

• Wow, "pedal range 0 to +2, and 0 to -2 " - that might do! I will try it later today.

And if it works it might indicate that instead of a pedal I could as well use a nonlatching SPDT switch (if I find one to buy).

www.audiosemantics.de

• Yes, it would work with the Pedal Pitch. And maybe it will even work if I replace the pedal by a SPDT switch. But the Pedal Pitch has a little bit more delay than the Chromatic Pitch, which I used for my Clusterbutton.

www.audiosemantics.de

• You could wire a SPST momentary switch in parallel with the tip and ring of a control pedal - it would be faster than the pedal, but you could still use the regular pedal when you want pedal-style control.

I haven't done it, so I don't know if you need "normally open" or "normally closed" when parallel wired to an expression pedal.
    I think it would be "normally open" - you can test that before you buy a switch.

• I thought of a SPDT switch because this would simply replace the extreme positions of a pedal:
    [Blocked Image: http://www.audiosemantics.de/FORUMS/switch004.jpg
    The advantage would be that, as it also uses all three contacts, it will do two switchings (open and close) in one movement. Which will be interpreted by the KPA as one switching cycle. Might work, no? Don't have such a switch here, so I will have to wait a bit.

Also - I have gigs on the acoustic guitar to do until Saturday. So I stay away from switches and soldering irons. Instead I rather spend my time polishing my fingernails for tonight... 8)

www.audiosemantics.de

• You could wire a SPST momentary switch in parallel with the tip and ring of a control pedal - it would be faster than the pedal, but you could still use the regular pedal when you want pedal-style control.

Now I tested this with simple shortcutting between tip and ring. But the KPA seems to receive more complicated informations from an expression pedal. It doesn't do any reaction no matter which pair of the TRS I hot-wire.

Hopefully the other verson with a SPDT will do.

But anyway in the meantime I am already quite Fred-Astair-swift with my left foot. :)

www.audiosemantics.de

• If it didn't work in simple combination with the pedal:

Look at this EV-5 Schematic. You want to be able to use a monentary switch to function like the VR2 "minimum volume" potentiometer - if the min vol pot was set to "maximum volume"

[Blocked Image: http://www.midiguitar.net/group/EV-5%20Info/ev-5-schematics.png]

Adding a 50K resistor to the circuit with the switch?

• Stupid me! Now I understand it. I tested heeldown and expected the hotwire to do maximum. But it is the other way round: with the pedal in toedown the hotwire does minimum. This can easily be fixed in the Pedal Pitch parameters.

This is great, it will work with any simple closing type of switch. I guess I will get myself one of these heavy foot pedals that grown up piano players :) use. Maybe even this one here , one for the clusters and the other one for the EH-Freeze. And, yes the pedal itself is still free for other effects in other rigs. Gorgeous!

Thank you so much!!

www.audiosemantics.de

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• That looks funny. I wonder if they have it in my (big!!) shoe-size? :)

www.audiosemantics.de