is it possible to use th Kemper as an FX only unit?

• I have the black lunch box and love it....just wondering if it is possible to ALSO use as an FX only unit and completely bypass profiling for the odd time I would want to use it with a tube combo?

Thanks,
    Derek

• Of course you can, just switch off the Stack section. Profiling concerns only the Stack section (mainly Amp and Cabinet).

You can use a Stratocaster as a baseball bat ... :D

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Yes, Tellys have that uncomparable "swing" you need for Cricket. :)

But even with the Stack left ON the Kemp works perfect in front of a tubeamp. It is like a classical Little-Big-Amp setup:
    small tubeamp > speakerDI box > volumepedal > big tubeamp
    Or what others call "brown sound".

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Yes, Tellys have that uncomparable "swing" you need for Cricket. :)

But even with the Stack left ON the Kemp works perfect in front of a tubeamp. It is like a classical Little-Big-Amp setup:
    small tubeamp > speakerDI box > volumepedal > big tubeamp
    Or what others call "brown sound".

Hm, I should try that with my hiwatt before it's gone!

• Hm, I should try that with my hiwatt before it's gone!

I hope you mean that Kemp into tubeamp thing, not the uncomparable cricket-swing.

Well, if there is a Line-In I would always prefer that. I don't see really an improvement in going into another preamp (Instrument Input). But even that works fine, I had it recently with a blackface twin. I didn't even have to change the output EQ at all. It was just nice right from the beginning!

Anyway - what we call a fine guitar sound is the result of those Blues and Rocknroll guys back then abusing their tubeamps beyond what engineers recommended as "clean usage". There might be things to discover.

www.audiosemantics.de

• Oh yes. I remember the crisp overdrive of a Telefunken reel tape machine before it went up in sweet smoke ...

www.audiosemantics.de