I need help concering reamping

• Please forgive me, but i have spent now 5 hours of my life gooling the sh... out of me. i am going to loose my mind.
    I have had tremendous success (post 22) with doubling a track with 2 different profiles. this was relatively
    easy, because i could play the part while sleeping :sleeping: :D . this is not always the case. :whistling:
    the solution: REAMPING. i have read the 3 pages of wiKPA five times now, ingolf gave me some tipps.
    so okay, still i have a lot of questions and think it is too risky to order a focusrite, because ...

• my tascam US-122 for instance is a pain in the afternoon, because all drivers (believe me, i checked
      them all) are just plain BS. i changed from winXP first to win7-64bit, and now to win8-64-bit. my colleagues at the local
      music-shop have spent hours and could not find a solution, no hiss in winXP, mindblowing hiss on win8, spare me the
      details, i do not want to write a novel here ...
    • so to make a long story short: is anyone of you guys running windows 8-64 bit? good. does anyone of those friends have a
      soundcard that is functioning well? good. have you experience with reamping? does the S/PDIF in and out work smoothly?
      good. i have the KRK active loudspeakers. does anyone have a similar setting? good. does everything work without hiss or
      other unwanted noise? good. is the latency while reamping satisfactorily low and other issues (phase) do not bother you?
    • now please tell me the name of the manufacturer and the model!

you are so very cool :thumbup: , if you help me

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• pooh, after seven hours of research i have found two soundcards that are supposed
    to work with windows 8-64bit on a USB-2.0 bus and do not cost a fortune.

• Roland UA-55 Quad-Capture
    • Focusrite Scarlett 18i6

any experiences with them or other recommendations in this price level? please, i want to be able
    to reamp soon! cheers

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• USB 2.0 audio adapters are versatile of couse. Every computer has USB, even laptops or tablet PCs. But:
    In my experience, USB audio adapters have way more latency than Firewire audio adapters. And I also experienced problems with USB interfaces when I had other USB devices (external HD or pen drives or dongles) connected at the same time.
    So if you're talking about an audio adapter for your workstation, I would certainly go for a Firewire interface if it's possible with your hardware.

Just my 2 cents, of course
    Martin

• you are probably right, martin. especially the power connection via usb can cause problems and i am aware of that.
    but what can i do? my mainboard has no firewire connection. i have to stick to the usb solution i am afraid.
    thanks, anyway :thumbup:

• My Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 works like a charm (Win7, Win8, newest OSX on my hackintosh - all of them running at 64bits and 16GB Ram), reamping was basically plug and play, just had to assign the SPDIF send and return to a specific channel and that's it.

Edit: The Scarlet runs with 3ms latency with Win8 and about 1,5ms on OSX. Besides... latency doesn't matter for reamping stuff.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

Edited 2 times, last by mDan ().

• USB 2.0 audio adapters are versatile of couse. Every computer has USB, even laptops or tablet PCs. But:
    In my experience, USB audio adapters have way more latency than Firewire audio adapters. And I also experienced problems with USB interfaces when I had other USB devices (external HD or pen drives or dongles) connected at the same time.
    So if you're talking about an audio adapter for your workstation, I would certainly go for a Firewire interface if it's possible with your hardware.

Just my 2 cents, of course
    Martin

Agree... The only exception i know are the inferfaces by RME. They use a own special non USB protocol over the USB port. This way you are able to get latencies nearly as good as with PCI/PCIe.

• your word in the ear of the music gods, mdan! :D that is good news for me.
    i have ordered the roland an hour ago with the option to change it for the scarlett, if problems appear.
    roland has released a driver for usb on windows8 and took care of the power connection.
    at least this is what they say:

Extrem geräuscharme Stromversorgung
    Eines der wichtigsten, im Hintergrund stehenden Merkmale des QUAD-CAPTURE ist die besonders weit ausgelegte, extrem nebengeräuscharme Stromversorgung. Sie ist speziell auf saubere, gleichmäßige Ein- und Ausgangs-Signale ausgelegt und liefert eine zuverlässige Grundlage für professionelle Einsätze. Bei Stromversorgung über USB wird die Energieversorgung automatisch auf größte Effizienz abgestimmt, um jederzeit die optimale Klangqualität der mobilen Umgebung sicherzustellen.

i got to believe them.well, let's see. i am going to tell you what happened
    with geraldos first reampings. cheers :thumbup:

• my mainboard has no firewire connection.

It shouldn't be a problem to install a firewire PCI card? Unless you have a laptop.
    This opens up your choicees a lot.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• thanks, fretboardminer, this was a good post with this link :thumbup:
    because i thought this is impossible, so i checked my µ-form mini-mainboard again:
    and yes one single slot (i have a monster graphic card which is 2,5 slots high) would be available.

i will keep this in mind, when i face difficulties with the roland quad. but, you know, the guy from the music
    shop said that firewire is in no way superior to usb2.0 and dying out. anyway, thanks and we will see ...

• firewire is in no way superior to usb2.0 and dying out.

Yes, I heard that too. But I heard that already for years now. Like vinyl is dying out...

BTW I didn't mean to recommend you exactly that card from the link. Was just an example to show how cheap they are and how they look like.

I hope this is not confusing too much, as you already ordered the Roland, but: the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 has SPDIF in and out. That might be a bonus in connection with the Kemper.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• The Roland has S/PDIF I/O as well.
    What I like about the Roland is its internal DSP for direct monitoring. Can be pretty handy sometimes, especially when tracking vocals, imho.
    What I don't like about the Roland is the noise and hum of its imputs, especially the Hi-Z (instrument) mode and some issues with the connectors (audible noise when you knock on the case). But that's not my own experience, it's what I've read in some comments on the Roland.

• ... the guy from the music shop said that firewire is in no way superior to usb2.0 and dying out ...

The guy is right AND wrong. :)
    Of course the popularity of Firewire is pretty much over, history, done.
    But that doesn't automatically mean that it's not superior for audio interfaces.
    As I said before: Chances are high that you already have one or more devices connected to the USB ports of your mainboard. Chances are also high, that you connect an external USB device while you're working with your DAW. All this doesn't have to be a problem, but it CAN be a problem. I experienced problems a few times. With a Firewire interface card chances are high, that you EXCLUSIVELY use it for your audio interface. I haven't had a single problem ever, using various (Focusrite) firewire audio interfaces over the years.

Cheers,
    Martin

• I´m no Apple guy but i thought there aren´t any Firewire Ports on their Mac Book Pros anymore which caused many protests some time ago. Did they consider to put them back?

Not a Mac guy either, but I think nowadays it's hard to convince Apple to even provide USB connections. I'm pretty sure if they discover a Firewire interface in their new UFO building, they immediately call an army of pest exterminators.

• I´m no Apple guy but i thought there aren´t any Firewire Ports on their Mac Book Pros anymore which caused many protests some time ago. Did they consider to put them back?

Indeed my new MacBook Pro doesn't have any Firewire unless my last one.
    But the Thunderbolt- FireWire Adapter works flawlessly and will enable me to use my Saffire Pro 40 and my UAD Satellite for years to come.

• hey guys,
    bought an extra firewire adapter for my new mainboard. can send it (unopened) back. quad capture works well.
    latency is okay, could reduce it, but 5.4 miliseconds is okay?
    S/PDIF test worked, first reampin tomorrow, no USB trouble, one of the three usb-ports remains reserved for the soundcard. uff.

life is good sometimes :rolleyes: :D