Crackling noise coming from the Alternate input.

• I am running a Line 6 M9 thru the effect (X) of the Kemper as a Stereo Loop. This sets the alternate and return inputs as stereo. Everytime I connect either the L or R output of the M9 to the Alternate input I get a really bad crackling noise. I know is the alternate input because I tracked the whole signal path starting with the studio speakers all the way back to the Kemper. As soon as I disconnected the alternate input the noise went away. I thought at that point that it might be the alternate input volume, but that is defeated when running a stereo loop. Also, there's no noise if I run the loop as mono . Anyone else has this problem.

• I also get the noise on both outputs. The output noise from the signal coming from the return input is very low and it comes and goes. The output noise from the signal coming from the alternate input is three times as loud. When I power on the kemper it takes about 10 to 15 minutes for the crackling to start. The noise start increasing the longer I play. In about 30 minutes the noise is so bad I just have to turn the loop off. There still some intermittent noise when turning on/off the stomps and effects as well but not as bad. I “LOVE" the kemper and hope that this issues get resolved asap. At the price point of this thing there shouldn't be so many nasty bugs. Before I encountered this problem, in version 1.7 I had set up two distortion stomps, one in stomp C and another on D. I would turn C on. Then turn it off, then if I turned stomp D on I would get an unbearable noise that would trail for about two seconds. Thank God that was fixed in version 1.8. I love the fact that the updates keep coming so fast, however, I think they should test the code more to ensure that these issues are caught before it gets to the public. I along with a friend of mine which also has a kemper have been getting together by-weekly to tweek the hell at of this thing as we do a lot of Christian songs which requires a lot of stereo, ping pong delays and auto volumes among other things. The only way for us to do this was to use outboard gear running through the loop of our amps. We bought the kempers so that we didn't have to carry the amps around but the kemper for live use has been unreliable with all these noise issues. If the music I played didn't demand so many patch changes and effects I could use it live but I can't. I've had it for about a year now and I still don't feel comfortable taking it out. That's crazy, again, at this the price point. I had line 6 pods sine they came out as backups for my amp and I didn't have all these problems. Of course they don't sound anywhere as good as the Kemper but I could use it live and I felt confident I wouldn't have any problems.

Here are a few videos of my current and previous problems.

http://www.youtube.com/playlis…buVfUb88n_v9_6lSsmIQ6sPoW

• I got a reply from the Kemper tech support team.

Dear Robles1999,

This sounds like a hardware problem. Please contact your dealer so the unit can be serviced.
    Sorry for the inconveniences.

Sincerely,

Kemper Amps Support Team

• Hi, all of my posts on this forum reply to this problem. It's a hardware problem but, since there are many KPA units out there with this problem, the guys at Kemper should tell us details about this problem, because they surely know why this problem happened on a bunch of KPA units.

It would be nice to tell the guys at the repair centers the nature of this problem and the specific details so they would know what to look for.
    I called my repair center guy and I was told that they never repaired any of KPA units and that they know nothing about this problem (Kemper products just came to my country, few months ago).

So, to speed up the repair of these units, please, guys at Kemper, you should really inform us about the specific detail concerning the distorted and crackling noise at rear inputs. It doesn't matter if the problem is caused by faulty cheap 5 cent piece of electronic (this is the guessing of the guy at the shop that sells Kemper in my country).

:thumbup:

• I agree with you Kosjen. The reply from tech support actually got me nervous. "This sounds like a hardware problem" wasn't reassuring. I think they should know by now what the problem is and if this occurred in a specific batch or something. I would hate for sweetwater to send me a new unit with the same problem.

X(

• I agree with you Kosjen. The reply from tech support actually got me nervous. "This sounds like a hardware problem" wasn't reassuring. I think they should know by now what the problem is and if this occurred in a specific batch or something. I would hate for sweetwater to send me a new unit with the same problem.

X(

Well in my country, they won't send you a new unit, you have to wait for this brand new to be repaired. That's what's frustrating. KPA unit in my country costs approx. 3 average months salaries. Then you go, buy a brand new unit and find out that you cannot profile anything, because the rear inputs are faulty and then you have to send it back to be repaired, but you paid for brand new unit, not repaired one.

This problem could be solved by enabling profiling through spdif. Also, this way we could use our own studio converters. But, this feature is requested long ago on this forum, but I guess that it probably can't be done hardware wise.

• This problem could be solved by enabling profiling through spdif. Also, this way we could use our own studio converters. But, this feature is requested long ago on this forum, but I guess that it probably can't be done hardware wise.

It definately IS possible hardware wise :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• It definately IS possible hardware wise :)

Thank you for the information!

Let us hope that the guys at Kemper will enable this option in the future. This would make KPA even more pro gear. To chose our own converters for profiling, to get the exactly same sound as we hear when miking an amp for recording.

:thumbup:

• Hi,

I used my Iphone to play backing tracks though the alternate input/return yesterday.
    After about 10 minutes the tweeter on my monitor starts crackling more and more
    and i thought my speaker was giving up on me.

It turns out that it is the alternate input, so now i can only play music through the return
    jack in mono.

What to do?