Reamping preparations, problems with S/PDIF in cubase or with KPA

• I have to confess that i have a problem with cubase or the KPA and i dont know where to start.
    does anybody by coincidence have also cubase? i am running cubase essential on windows 8.
    on my other pc i was using cubase SE (2003 edition) which was much easier to understand, but hey winXP is over now.
    the good thing is: i can record via s/pDIF! i do get a track, but the level is very low and the second (stereo, other side??) is not audible.
    i presume this is the clean track which is later to be re-amped?
    goodness, i am a dummy with this friggin' version of cubase. forgive me, please.
    so how do i separate this clean version from the other track, selecting does not work here? or how do i route the S/PDIF input so that TWO
    tracks appear in qbase in the first place?

could someone with cubase pleasepleasepleeeze post some kind of short step-by-step guide to recording a re-ampable track with the KPA via S/PDIF?

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• thank you trazan!

the Problem is: i cannot "create" mono tracks. they are always Stereo. strange Thing #2: i have imported an older Project from my cubase SE and it
    has mono tracks!!! but i cannot Change them to Stereo, this i could always tell cubase and change like i would like. that is strange.

but apart from that, i found an older Project of mine with two mono tracks, deleted the waves and recorded my guitar via S/PDIF to two separate channels.
    it worked, but the two of 'em were distorted. but Ingolf once told me to set the S/PDIF Output to GIT/STACK. this works fine now.

thank you. but is it normal that the "clean" channel has got 50% of the loudness of the KPA-Sound channel? i expected around 75%? cu

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Don't worry about levels.

As for Cubase I cannot help as I ditched this bloated piece of software a long time ago. (Please note it's just my personal opinion, Cubase once even had local hero status for me as their HQ used to be only a few streets away :rolleyes: ).
    Asking this in the Steinberg forums should give you an answer within minutes though.

• no answer from the german forum at all after 17 hours and btw some of those guys are really nasty like:

"i know what you mean and i know what you want, but i wont tell you, look in the manual, you lazy MF!"

"where in the manual is it exactly?!" ---- "find it out by yourself and dont bother us again, you lazy SoaB!"

childish, really, smartasses enjoying their dumbness, sad sad sad :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

• I haven't been there for years. Sorry to hear that it has developped in such a bad way. Which is indeed another reason to change DAW (IMO), as forums also display a company's attitude towards their customers.
    As an audio orientated guy you would be way better off with Reaper or Studio One anyway.

• The fact that you don't get an answer between Friday 7:35pm and Saturday 12:19am in a user forum's board of a dated Cubase version isn't exactly surprising. And as far as I can see, you didn't get any bad comment (of the sort dramatically described by you) at all. So you better relax a bit, no? :)

Did you setup your input bus configuration accordingly? Have you setup any mono input busses yet? Probably not, so that's what I suggest you to do first. Read the german manual page 10 and following, everything is described there.

Cheers,
    Martin

• guys, i am okay with those lads Steinberg, if this is the way they want to communicate with each other, it is okay with me, it is just not
    my way, and i am happy that here on "my" forum, guys are nice even to dummies. but what ingolf described is true also, i called the hotline
    two times and they treated my not as a customer but suspected from the beginning that i have a cracked version which is not true.
    but, yes, i have exaggerated a bit, there also some good posters there and helpful information. but it is tiresome to turn deaf to the 50%
    RTFM posts.

btw, lightbox, i have downloaded six manuals, in which one is your mentioned description? i need it asap, because now even recording
    two mono tracks does not work any more. either the two of them are "dry" or "wet", which is strange, because yesterday i was already celebrating
    the fact that the first steps to reamping worked.

• checked all six manuals, nothing on page 10. do you have a link to the manual you have mentioned? thanx

• After I downloaded the german operating manual to search the pages, I already deleted them again.
    I'm sure you will find the information (from page 10) in the main manual easily if you already have downloaded all of them.

Just for your info:
    I don't use Cubase Essential, I'm on Cubase 7. So I only did a quick search for you. You can do it as well, I'm sure. Just configure your input busses and note that the bus configuration is saved by project. Good reason to make a template project.

• thanks for the hint, found VST connections on page 14 now, didnt know that this is the right bus as i thought VST is for virtual instruments only.
    just printing those pages. thanks. will try asap. thank you, lightbox

• okay. dun it. routed the mono input to 3-4 and the other to 3-4(4) by trial and error. this 3-4 or 3-4(4) is confusing.
    back to starting point. i do have a clean track and a wet one. routed the output of the clean track via evrything possible
    to the input of the KPA. to no avail. do i miss a point in the KPA menu (input menue???) or is it definitely a cubase issue?

• I haven't been there for years. Sorry to hear that it has developped in such a bad way. Which is indeed another reason to change DAW (IMO), as forums also display a company's attitude towards their customers.
    As an audio orientated guy you would be way better off with Reaper or Studio One anyway.

okay then, i will give reaper a try, i am curious and a 60-day-trial-period seems to be more than fair.

• thanks, bruno. this! :thumbup:

this helped, alhtough i have to confess that i like the focusrite a lot more, the mixer/bus naming of the quad capture is strange.
    ikusark and myself, we spent two hours with reamping and it still is a mystery to me. maybe i have to change the soundcard again.