Posts by washedburn

Correct but you don’t need to daisy chain them. You could connect a non powered Kabinet to the speaker out and a second powered Kabinet to the Monitor Out or (if you want stereo) Direct Out with the Stereo Monitor box checked.

I would also add that if a single Kabinet isn’t loud enough for a rehearsal room, the problem isn’t that the Kabinet is too quiet but that the rest of the band are too loud. I say that as a 54 year old with some hearing loss and terrible tinnitus from too many years as a younger guy who though volume was cool.

Appreciate the reply. Wouldn't I need a powered kemper to do that? From what I've seen the power kabinets only have an input and no output

This is awesome. Did you ever get a chance to A/B test it with a Kabinet? Also curious how the volume is with two kones!

I kinda want to build a 2x12 myself or buy and empty one and fill it with two kones, just worried it might not turn out so great, or that the wood could color things in a way that was not originally intended

So I have a profiler stage, and I'm looking to get into the Kabinet stuff. I've read a lot about them not being quite that loud, if you were playing with a drummer/band. It seems like you can daisy chain the non-powered Kabinets, but I read that will only get you an extra 3db of volume - is that a lot? Would like to be able to get plenty loud without necessarily also using a PA

Seems like you can't really chain a non-powered kabinet to a power kabinet, is that true?

--

Seems like the seymour duncan powerstage ~200 could be a good option if I need to go that route. I've also read that it's basically the same poweramp that is in the powered kemper - and I assume the power kabinet. Seems like an optimal solution, but open to suggestions or ideas

Issue sorted out! BHP RTUBE922 is amazing. Most fun I've ever had with kemper profiles. Definitely got that Marty Friedman rust in peace character, but surprisingly enough believe it or not, with my DT fishman fluences I've also gotten some of the most convincing van halen tones I've ever gotten by making a few minor tweaks

I just tried to buy his BHP RTUBE922 (Real Tube RT-922) pack, but it said my payment details could not be verified but I did get a notification on my phone that the CC transaction was approved -- anybody know if there's anywhere else he lists the profiles to buy other than that main website?

BigHairyProfiles Sent a message through the contact form, tagging you this is in case it doesn't work!

quick edit: To be clear wasn't able to receive the profiles yet since the site thinks I didn't pay yet, item is still in my cart

Ok so - update

After making sure constant latency is on:

1. I right clicked the reaper timeline, and had it measure by "Samples" instead of "Measure.Beats",
    2. I then reamped a few seconds and stacked it under the original wet amp track,
    3. turned off snapping (alt+s) and zoomed way in and selected the difference between the tracks
    4. To the left of the tempo box, it told me how many samples I had selected, I inserted this as "Output manual offset" in preferences > recording
    5. Redid the reamp, dragged it under the original wet track and checked the alignment, looked good, I played it back, no phasing.
    6. Fully confirmed by taking two copies of the original wet track and stacked them on top of each other, sounds the same as the pair with the reamp!

So - assuming setting "Output manual offset" won't affect my live recordings, I think this is the solution.

Thanks again for the reply deadman42

And for anyone else using reaper who finds this, I'm going to check if there's a way to do this automatically and will update...

Wrong place means here at the wrong moment "in time", i.e. a bit delayed by some msec which are actually the sum of what you describe above, right?

Depending on your DAW that function might have different names but in principle all DAWs should have something like it. Alternatively you can add a reference point to each recorded track, e.g. make a chug at the beginning so you can later position it manually as close as possible...

Hope that helps for your case as well 8)

Yeah, looks to be off ~4ms. I will look for that. I'm currently using reaper since I know it the best. I'm not super hip to all the recording nomenclature, but using the term "outboard gear" will hopefully lead me to the right place. Reaper does have options for "output manual offset", and "input manual offset", just slightly worried about fiddling with those in case it screws up my regular recording, although I think I should be fine adjusting the output, and that would leave my regular non reamp recordings be if I'm not mistaken? Maybe that's the solution

Thanks for taking to time to reply! Will post my solution if I'm sure I have it figured out

This one is giving me a bit of a headache so figured I would ask for help - did a lot of googling but couldn't find anything about my specific situation, please let me know if I've left out any details / variables

So I'm connecting the kemper to my apollo twin x via S/PDIF (using one of these) - so far so good.

Because the twin x only has optical/spdif in and not out, I'm sending the kemper DI back to the kemper through an analog output (Maybe this is breaking/deviating from the interface clock source?), and then I'm getting the reamped track back into the DAW through the spdif input on the interface.

So when I go to reamp, the reamped track always ends up in the wrong place inside the DAW, layering that reamped track directly on top of the original wet recording and it's never right, no matter what I change; clock source on the apollo, the clock option on kemper output, enabling constant latency, etc.

This has me pretty confused and questioning whether or not any of the DAW recordings, reamp or not are ending up in the right place - might just be overthinking it, but I am really shooting for precision.

Anyone who has their head wrapped around this better than me, I would appreciate your input!

Hi! In Reaper you can group Amp and DI tracks, when Amp track would be master, DI - slave, and when you arm Amp DI track would be armed automatically. Also in routing window I recommend to switch off master send, so you wouldn't hear DI signal in your mix.

And for more efficiency you can set and adjust all tracks and create template, so later you could just load this template and record.

I ended up doing this, I think it's the best way, thanks!

I know this could be DAW specific, but figured I'd ask anyways to see what other people do. I'm using reaper currently, but I may be open to switching if there's a DAW that makes this easy on me.

--

Don't know if I'm just being stubborn here, but I feel like there could be a better way to do this, I've done quite a few google searches but either wasn't using the right terms, or nobody else considers this as much of a nuisance to creativity and workflow as I do.

Currently I usually just add an extra tack that I keep on mute for the DI, but I don't always remember to arm it, and it can get cluttered very fast if I want a bunch of different guitar tracks

I've also tried recording both the DI and Amp inputs on a single stereo track, but then I had to use a plugin to make sure I can only hear the live amp. But then when it comes time to reamp, I still end up with extra tracks.

A perfect solution to me would be when I arm the track, it records both the DI and amp inputs to one track, while only monitoring / playing back the amp. And then when I go to reamp I could reprint (over the existing amp sound) on the same track while leaving the DI in tact. i.e. no extra tracks.

If anyone knows any magic tricks in this regard, I'd love to hear them!