Posts by Chris4189

Lynyrd Skynrd’s “Second Helping” album is the reason why I picked up a guitar many years ago. I have tried a long time to nail the specific sound of this album and the Kemper has gotten me the closest. Long story short, I profiled my ‘74 super lead and matching cabinet with an SM57 and MD421 with settings that the late great Ed King provided me years ago. The settings are for Gary and Allen’s Marshalls which are also ‘74 1959’s and Ed told me that all the guitars were mic’d with the above mics. The only thing I am missing is the Eq that would have been applied at the board to get that compressed sound with those smooth singing highs.

I'm also using a Les Paul with PAF’s.

Here is the sound specifically the lead parts:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Any suggestions on EQ settings?

Lynyrd Skynrd’s “Second Helping” album is the reason why I picked up a guitar many years ago. I have tried a long time to nail the specific sound of this album and the Kemper hasn't gotten me the closest. Long story short, I profiled my ‘74 super lead and matching cabinet with an SM57 and MD421 with settings that the late great Ed King provided me years ago. The settings are for Gary and Allen’s Marshalls and Ed told me that all the guitars were mic’d with the above mics. The only thing I am missing is the Eq that would have been applied at the board to get that compressed sound with those smooth singing highs.

Here is the sound specifically the lead parts:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Any suggestions on EQ settings?

I too found this to be an issue with Topjimi profiles in fact I found this to be the case with many Marshall profiles. They lack the mids and the highs associated with the classic Marshall sound and often are boomy.

Here is two things that have worked for me: Find a cab from another rig that you like and think sounds good and use that cab instead of the baked in cab. I also really like the combo of an SM57 paired vintage MD421 so I bought an impulse response pack from Ownhammer that was made using a vintage Marshall 1960 Cab, T1221 greenies, and the mics mentioned above. I found that often using a direct profile of my amps or direct profiles from the packs that I have purchased used in conjunction with third-party impulse responses get me the sounds I want and like.

The biggest issue I have with someone elses profiles is that you're at the mercy of what they think sounds good meaning amp setting, mics, mic placement, speakers etc.

Finally, I would highly recommend you try Matt Figgs “Marshall experiment” pack. It is truly the only paid profile that was plug and play and sounded good just as is for me.

I’ve been through all the attenuators you mention in your title and for me the winner hands down has been the Captor X. I run a 1974 Marshall 1959, BF Vibrolux and a Mesa MKI through it via a pair of Yamaha HS8’s and some good Irs and it the best tones I’ve ever gotten at room volumes. The Kemper would be a strong second. My biggest gripe with the Kemper is I found profiles of Fenders and Dumbles to sound great but Marshall profiles to be very boomy and lacking some the highs and mids associated with Marshall’s.

I plan to profile my amps using the captor and the IRs that I like and see how that sounds.

Not long ago I sold my powered toaster and kabinet and bought a Captor X and a set of Yamaha HS8’s to use in conjunction with tube amps and while I’m enjoying that setup I find myself missing the Kemper. I miss having access to various vintage amps that I do not own and the effects. I thought the kabinet was kind of meh and only used it in FRFR mode 98% of the time and when I used super lead profiles I would use the D120f imprint which I did like.

So, I'm thinking of buying a used rack. I'm a bedroom warrior these days so I'm torn between a powered or none powered rack. I don't plan on running it through a traditional cabinet but can you still use the imprints with studio monitors and will they sound the same as they do via the kabinet?

All,

I play Les Paul’s exclusively and all are wired in the 50’s configuration with VIP Centralab replica pots, .022 luxe Bumblebees and I use various winders for my PAF replicas but they are all either A2, A4 or A5 and none are overly hot.

I have a powered toaster and run it through a kabinet. I have found that tone junkies profiles sound the best for me. If I play Fender or Dumble profiles it’s pure tone bliss but I really find all the vintage Marshall profiles to be lacking vs. my actual vintage Marshall heads. All the vintage Marshall profiles I have, sound very bass heavy and flat. They all seem to lack those classic Marshall mids and top end kerrang. I have tried post EQs and that’s helped but still they just don’t sound right.

It seems like when you adjust the EQ on the toaster like a you would a normal amp it gets even worse. is there any magic humbucker settings to overcome this?

I received my kabinet Friday from Sweetwater and I think I’ve got something set wrong perhaps. I’ve been using it in frfr mode and all my profiles (tone junkie, Britt and Topjimi) all sound like there is a blanket over the speaker. No highs or mids and just generally dark sounding . The speaker imprints behave the same way.

I put the kabinet on chair and dimed out the rig volume and this helped a lot along with tweaking the definition on the profile.

Any settings I need change?

Previously, I had been running my toaster through a Metropoulos 2x12 loaded with M75 Creambacks.

I’m straight on all of that but it still sounds very dark. The imprints do not sound any better.

I’m tempted to do a factory reset and see if that helps.

I received my kabinet today from Sweetwater and I think I’ve got something set wrong perhaps. I’ve been using it in frfr mode and all my profiles (tone junkie, Britt and Topjimi) all sound like there is a blanket over the speaker. No highs or mids and just generally dark sounding . If I want anything remotely clean I have to switch to a Tele or Strat.

I’m using a R9 with Wizz pickups and vintage fender and Marshall profiles. No high gain stuff.

Any settings I need change?

Kabinet/Kone question:

I’m a new powered toaster user and I love it so far! I’ve been running it through a Metropoulos 2x12 slant with M75 Creambacks and it’s obviously making all the profiles sound about the same even with the settings tweaked.

I’m really wanting a Kabinet but everyone is sold out here in the states. Let’s say a Marshall profile was created with a vintage pre rola greenie cab do you use the Greenback imprint via the cab? If it’s a Fender twin profile with two JBL D120f’s do you use the JBL imprint?

I’m sorry but i don’t fully understand your question. Virtually everything on the Kemper can be changed via Rig Manager editor.

Say for instance I wanted to chance the predelay above in rig manager. Can I change it some how with my lap top instead of changing it via the Kemper itself? For instance while in rig manger I can add effects, Reverb etc but I cannot figure out how to change the settings in rig manager and have to do it thru my toaster