Posts by BERNARDIJ

I just got the kemper a few weeks ago and havent spent a ton of time with it because ive been really busy. But ive made a little progress, mostly with the stock dual rectifier, peavey XXX, and the Engl Invader profiles. I have a few problems however.

1. The most problematic is that I have been playing on a Line 6 combo for the entirety of my guitar playing for the last 13 year's, so this is a massive upgrade, but I dont understand parameters well enough to understand them beyond the obvious bass, treble, mids and gain, to dial them well, let alone understand them from a physical/sonic/electrical perspective. This becomes a problem when trying to dial in FX parameters, knowing which FX to use, and where. I have the quick start manual and the main, big manual.

2. I love the sound of the XXX and the Engl Invader, but I still am not spot on yet. What tends to happen is without a distortion FX, they dont sound gainy enough. When I add distortion they sound way too compressed, harsh, and thin. It seems like there is a very fine line when adjusting distortion FX parameters.

3. When I do get close, it seems to sound either harsh, thin, or both, not warm enough. I'm wondering if there are other FX I should be using, or not using, or if I'm just doing something else wrong. Ive gotten about as far as using a distortion FX and an EQ and the EQ is pretty confusing to me. It seems like when I just use a boost instead of distortion its not enough gain. I'm kinda lost. I feel like I need a class.

4. I'm using FX generally after the rig in the signal chain, because that is how a lot of the stock high gain profiles are set up. Dont know if thats correct.

Also, this is a dumb question but is there a list of the real names of the available stock rigs? I just want to have an idea of what is there and is not. I'm trying to get as far as i can with stock rigs, before I treat myself to buying some for purchase ones. I havent even touched Rig Exchange yet. Someone did tell me that I'm missing out on the really really good shit though thats for download free and for purchase and said its a massive world of difference.

For reference I'm currently playing through a Headrush FRFR 8 inch 1000rms speaker. I really like FRFRs i can see myself getting a much higher end much bigger one one day, id also like to try the Kemper thru a tube power amp thru a 4X12 guitar cab too. But thats just future for now I'm happy with my FRFR

I love dialing in my own tones but has anyone found any really high quality profiles (free or purchased) of that super crunchy Exodus tone, or of any Classic Metallica Tones (Master, Justice, Black album)? If so if really like to get/buy them.

If not, but you do play these types of tones, could you point me in the right direction rig/ parameter/FX wise?

Always start with a rig that sounds good or close right off the bat. Adding a little more gain or EQ to that will be better than trying to modify a clean rig by adding a pile of gain.

Yes, you'll find many rigs with certain/various effects already applied. Change them at will.

Also, what are you listening with? Headphones? Studio monitors? Guitar cab? FRFR?

I'm using a FRFR but I honestly haven't had a chance to really turn it up to where I would like yet. I have tried to play it through headphones that aren't flat response and it sounds horrible so I won't ever do that again lol.

I just got an unpowered toaster and don't have a ton of time with it yet. I also dont have a laptop right now which doesnt help. But I can't seem to dial a heavy overdrivenn tone that sounds good yet. I'm gonna put a lot time into it tomorrow, but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice. I'm using an ESP LTD Kirk Hallett signature with EMG HZH4 pickups. One thing I dont understand (I know this is a really dumb question) when i switch rigs, a lot of them have distortion effects already set, and I'm 99% sure I didnt go through and add effects to every rig. And its not locked.

I have the main manual downloaded to read whenever i need to and ive read a lot of it, but its a lot to remember. Also I'm wondering the difference in placing an effect or an EQ before vs after the rig in the signal chain. I'm also kind of a gain addict so the problem is that I add too much gain or maybe in the wrong spot or wrong tone or saturation or something and it doesnt slund very full, it sounds muddy or like way too distorted. Its frustrating because I know for a fact you can get perfect tones out of the Kemper but I havent been able to yet. I'm also holding off on just buying downloadable stuff yet since I want to learn myself. Its a big learning curve from my last amp which was a line 6 spider valve combo.