Posts by lbieber

There is a digital board with bad sounding effects? I can say that I haven't experienced that one yet. They are all basically software plugins. There are usually multiple types of reverb in them as well as multiple versions of the other effects in them.

Yes there are bad sounding effects. The fact that they are implemented in software and that there might be multiple types doesn't mean any of them are high quality. I don't get the logic?

Reverb, especially, is an effect that is sensitive to the way it is implemented. This is why many of the big companies have their own algorithms. This is essentially why Eventide, Strymon, TC, Lexicon, etc... all claim to be the best and why users prefer one over the other. Companies making digital mixers Mackie, Behringer, Presonus, etc... are generally focused on the product as a digital mixer with added effect options. They are not focused on implementing the best effects and the proof is in the sound. I thought this was common knowledge.

Turned up in Texas 8)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That takes me waaaay back. Started playing that one at 15 yrs old. Fun stuff

yeah I'm not fully set on kone or traditional cab, but given I'm looking for that dumble / two rock type I figured a cab with a g12-65 in would be fine for me, there's blue in the cab of my valve amp as well so I'd have two options at least.

I have a 2 x g12-65 cab in the Dumble format. Lousy cab for the Kemper IMO. Cloudy in general with congested low mids not well suited for the Kemper IMO. I'm not a Kone fan either. I GOOD PA monitor with a powered head is what works for me. I have used many monitors and have described some of them in other threads. FRFR is marketing hype for a PA monitor IMO. I found that I am only happy with a transparent PA monitor. My go to is the JBL SRX. Cheap monitors sound boxy with bad mid range artifacts that heavily color the result. YMMV. Good luck

I can only speak on the digital mixers that I have experienced. The onboard effects are typically low quality. Especially the reverbs. Yuck, nothing worse than a bad reverb. In that case, I will try to make due with the room reverb or set the verb very light so that the poor quality is hidden. Cheap reverbs tend to have bad tails that I would rather not hear.

If i had an advice to tell to a beginner it would be ; go and try the guitar in a shop, choose the one on which you feel most confortable, if you dislike the sound ; change pickups.... Done... Enjoy ;) :)

Funny how we all have different views. In my experience, replacement pickups are a waste of time and money unless your pickup is actually broken or has a limitation. Pickups come in different configs. Lack of potting could raise a feedback problem. That's a limitation, but I wouldn't buy a guitar with that issue. There are wiring limitations with 2 wire pickups so that might be a reason to change pickups. Otherwise, I don't recommend changing pickups. Buy what sounds good in the first place...this is the conclusion that I reached through my experience. Bad sounding guitars sound bad even with good pickups. YMMV.

I've never seen anything like that before. Can't even fine a single reference via Google.

I'd be more inclined to get a 4 or 5u rack shelf and attach the head using longer screws for the existing feet. Much easier to source.

That's what I did. Bought a server tray and mounted the power head via the feet on the bottom. The tray is much deeper than the head and allows me to mount a power strip, PoE, and some cables to it. Works great for me. Everything I need is self contained and ready to attach to the PA and monitor.

So, a backup does no good if the data is corrupted. This makes perfect sense.

But the backup process does nothing to verify that the data is valid or corrupt? This seems to be an omission that should be addressed even if it is a rare occurence. Shouldn't the user be notified that the backup that is about to be performed will do not good since the data is corrupt?

I think a check for data corruption should be implemented as much as it can be. This information should be reported to the user in some fashion and a forced backup should be implemented before an OS update is allowed to proceed.

Thank you for the feedback and possible explanation. Unfortunately, your suggestions will not help at this point because I reverted back the OS, reinstalled RM and restored an older backup. It is now 'working' at some level.

I listed the versions that caused the issue in the thread I started under the issues section.

I made a mistake by not doing a backup just before updating the OS. This is my fault. I hope that Kemper will seriously consider my recommendation of automatically performing a backup each time the user updates the OS. It is not sufficient to include a sentence here and there that data might be lost. Kemper could solve the issue the issue of lost or corrupted data during an OS update very easily. Kemper can also make the argument that users are notified about possible data loss. It is a valid argument and short-sighted all at the same time.

In the future, I'll be very careful when deciding to install updates as my experience indicates that the process fails with significant statistical probability.

I can feel your frustration. But I am sure many thousands updates are successful like my own updates on a kemper toaster and Stage over almost 10 years.

Do you have opened a support ticket?

This is not the first time updates have failed and resulted in broken behavior. These typically lead to multiple OS reverts and update attempts in order to get the system working again at some level. One previous failed update cycle resulted in an opened ticket, a broken USB interface, and free repair by Kemper. That issue was handled very professionally by Kemper - kudos to them in that instance. Although, they never actually explained what they did. I have experienced quite a few other update cycles which did not go smoothly. So yes, I agree that many updates do go smoothly and I have experienced those as well. But the update fails that have occurred generally indicate incomplete regression testing. It is unlikely I have been statistically unlucky. I'd say about 20% of updates have gone wrong in some way. That along with the relatively common complaints on the forum indicate that the failure rate is statistically significant.

FWIW, I think the Kemper is a great unit when it works. IME the update process is simply not statistically solid.

I have tried every combination of rebooting and switching performances. I finally reverted back to OS 10.1.2.47971. I can now unreliably use RM to edit profiles. Unreliable editing is an improvement!?!? Now that's a statement about functionality and the update process.

I now have a system that is unreliable after wasting hours of my time rebooting the profiler, many failed OS installations from RM and via USB. The OS update process has serious issues.

As a side note, Kemper adds a text statement in various places regarding possible loss of data during OS updates. In my view, the update process should absolutely force a profiler backup before allowing the OS update to occur. Since RM can't backup the profiler, the update process should require a USB stick so the forced backup occurs every time an OS update occurs. This would make the update process more bullet proof. Sure, I should have backed up, but the process could and should force a backup.

I am very frustrated and disappointed with this interaction. The updates are nowhere near seamless. I've mentioned this before, but Kemper's regression testing is flawed and has not improved in my experience.

Update to OS 10.2.0.48484b Public Beta broke performance mode. There are several issues:

1. all effects in all performances are empty in the profiler itself and in Rig Manager
    2. RM shows the incorrect amp and rig name for some performances, but the correct amp and rig name for others. RM and the profiler content are not in sync
    3. The profiler has the amp and rig name set to crunch for all performances.

In the end, all performances have been corrupted and are not working correctly.

This is probably not new info to most users and Kemper recommends a backup before updates. MAKE SURE TO BACKUP before updating as it can cause serious issues. . I lost about 2 weeks worth of performance changes. That's my fault for not backing up. I wanted to post this to log the experience so perhaps other users won't have a similar negative result.

I would say yes, the Orange cab(or any other cab), would be obsolete - as in no longer needed. The Kemper Kab somehow got brought in as a previously unmentioned alternative. I wouldn't consider it unless you already own one - you didn't list it. You will have plenty of cab options built into the Kemper itself.