Posts by lbieber

The one thing I do look forward to is the gain knob sounding better when increasing gain.

That's just guessing. ;)

But you bring up another point that was omitted in the HW/Britt video. Did they adjust the gain to show how much better the gain knob will sound when increasing it? Maybe they just forgot the significant stuff? ^^

Of course not.

One, they already profile the amps (supposedly) at the settings where they think the amp sounds the best.

Two, the selling point of "I've profiled this amp to capture each sweet spot" is somewhat watered down if the idea is that you can get by with just ONE profile as long as it is "liquified". So a new selling point might be shifting toward more different mic positions, which is way more work.

Not sure I agree. If LP provided any substantial improvement, salesmen would be leveraging it for more $. I can imagine it "For only $x.99 you can purchase the knob settings so that you too can achieve the unparalleled benefits of liquid profiling."

I should take the time to relisten.

I do remember CK stating that the tonestacks will provide controls with different frequency centers. This implies a tonal change as the current TMBP controls will not replicate what the LP tonstack is capable of. That is not simply EQ limiting. We could discuss what an improvement in tone really means, but LP is different in that regard.

Lol we had this same discussion previously, didn't we?

I am quite sure I could relisten to the full HW video with Kemper and find statements that imply tone improvements even if not explicitly stated.

The primary goal of the Kemper IMO is to provide the tone of any amp that is profiled. It has many features outside of that scope, but without profiling the unit isn't of much interest to guitarists. The Kemper is first and foremost a guitar amp tone generator. There has been quite a lot of enthusiasm regarding LP being a game changer. I would argue that it can't be game changing if the tone is not improved.

Two of the main 3rd party profilers didn't express much praise or excitement in the video focused on LP. That fact is revealing to me.

I was holding off on updating to the latest OS and RM. Took the plunge yesterday. Carefully noted the currently installed OS and RM versions. Everything was working fine before the update.

Now RM seems permanently stuck in Scanning for Profilers mode. Reinstalling the last known good OS and RM results in Scanning for Profiles. Have tried many different OS and RM version since and always get the same result - Scanning for Profiles.

Things of note:

• Versions before I entered into this nasty mess - OS 8.7.10.38833, RM 3.3.50
    • Performed a factory reset along the way
    • Tried many different versions. Nothing works
    • Uninstalled RM via Windows uninstall as suggested in another thread. No difference in behavior
    • Cable are the same 3 that have always worked previously. This is not a cable problem.
    • Versions that I upgraded to are OS 9.0.5.45603 and RM 3.4.32
    • Tried two different PCs. Both worked before the 'upgrade'

• I7 processor, USB 2.0 ports, Windows 10 Pro, desktop
      • I7 processor, USB 3.0 ports, Windows 10, laptop. This machine was not upgraded and no longer works. It is stuck in Scanning for Profiles hell also.
    • It seems the Toaster itself is toast

I'm seriously disappointed with all of this. I should have continued to hold off on the update. Took careful steps to avoid exactly this situation. Hours of time wasted.

There wasn't much substance in the HW/Britt video.

Britt mentioned knobs not being as touchy and having a wider sweet spot. OK, nice to have.

HW seems to like the Vox cut control. OK, that would be nice, but I like some of the ACs as they are.

I didn't hear anything that sounds like a game changer.

HW is a salesman and it seems all he could sell was a cut control. Big deal. I saw very little excitement from either of the two.

I heard Britt state that the new recommended way of profiling isn't as good as the way that he was doing it before LP.

I expect little to no improvement in tone with LP.

A great guitarist & singer and another smiling KPA user ; really dig her style. Texans : she's your neighbor !

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I love the vibe of that song. I could have done without the autotune.

Speaking of Ike. Great song...great guitar tone

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So,

Haven't used the Kemper in a long while - plugged into my Gemini 1x12 powered FRFR and my old settings seemed to be clipping the input of the speaker.

Is there a rule of thumb for the sweet spot for monitor line out with current OS to a powered cab?

I know I can noodle with it but thought I would ask.

All good answers above.

How could your old setup, that used to work, not work now? That is a different question than the one you asked. I would be more curious about that.

There are too many potential variables regarding gain staging to provide a single answer so noodle with it. IMO, just turn some knobs until it sounds good and get on with it. :)

I have used my powered Toaster with guitar cab(several different types 1x12, 2x12,4x12) live many times for many different types of music. I never experienced any issues that I couldn't solve during a gig. As alluded to, why do you think it changed from rehearsal to the live gig? It could only be the room or the PA, right? If something was missing during a live gig while using your tube amp you would have adjusted knobs, correct? Did you try that with the Kemper? IME, the powered Kemper is capable of putting out punishing lows and thump.

I switched to using a PA(FRFR) monitor instead of guitar cabs because I feel it gives me more consistent sound on stage compared to FOH. I don't have any quick fix to offer other than adjust controls in real time during the gig. Good luck.

I recently visited a drummer who did over 60 live tracks with me.

He gave me this Alvarez 5056 with case. It's almost 50 years old and sounds like a Martin D-35.

These guitars were built to compete with Martin and they got really damn close. 8)

That's a pretty one! I have 1980 Alvarez that is much plainer, but it sounds great.

Jeez fellas. ..take a deep breath.

Yes, there was/is a lot of hype. No reason to be dissapointed if expectations are realistic.

I'm interested in the USB audio. I won't attempt to use it until the apparent bugs are resolved. I don't have an interest in being a beta tester for this, but thanks in advance to those of you who do.

Input filtering saves you from aliasing. I am talking about how do you get a perfect sine wave from a DAC when its output is only 5 points or less?

How do you get a perfect sine (RED) from the points taken above? If the DAC had no filtering or oversampling it would be a blocky mess of garbage. I would have preferred he spent a minute on this in the video.

Sorry, I didn't get that from your previous question. Here is an explanation:

Digital-to-Analog Conversion (dspguide.com)

Look to the explanation around figure 6. The basic technique is a zero order hold coupled into a lowpass filter. There are many types of DACs, but this is one of the simplest types for audio and is used quite a lot. Proper analog filtering on the input and the output is usually required.