Posts by Crispy Panther

Quote: “I believe '"stereo" is a vast improvement over mono with music.”

I appreciate your excellent viewpoint and would never disagree.

It’s just that with complete respect, some things seem very straightforward, but are in fact, rather more complex, examined closely.

The sheer groove level on many original mono recordings made them sound far superior to early stereo recordings by comparison, because of its more complex groove.

Some recordings, for instance, the early Beatles recordings, rehashed into a stereo format in America for release on that continent, were notoriously bad in comparison to the original mono mixes. A total embarrassment.

The Beatles in Mono - Wikipedia

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with listening to a recording, hearing it as it was actually intended to be heard, just as George Martin originally mixed it.

Instead of asking myself “what format am I hearing?” I ask myself “how does this recording sound.” I genuinely want to be bowled over with killer sound and have found that usually coincides, with the use of a well-established, mature technology.

Early digital recording sounded terribly sterile. It took a long time to sort out the issues with digital. Hence, some artists have later re-recorded their early digital release’s, recording them to tape; then transferring them to digital, so that the quality of their recording legacy will better stand up to scrutiny in years to come.

In my experience, artists desperately want their recordings to sound the very best they can. A while back I was playing bowls on the grass with one of our foremost singer songwriters Kate Bush. She for instance has re-recorded many of her vocals on digital recordings using mature analogue technologies, then transferring them to digital. Her studio is adjacent to our family estate and she has brilliant technical chops.

Director's Cut (Kate Bush album) - Wikipedia

All of my recordings are stereo you will glad to hear.

My fundamental point was there are definitely situations where the absolutely optimal solution for everyone to hear a perfectly balanced mix, is to present the audio in mono.

Performing in Stadiums and large concert halls that makes perfect sense, but for some, will no doubt seem a revolutionary notion altogether.

Quote: “I have not heard music mixed directly for 5.1”

A former colleague and mentor, a very good engineer, recorded “Diana Krall Live in Paris” available on DVD or BluRay with 5.1 Surround Sound.

Diana Krall - Live In Paris [DVD] [2008] [2002]: Amazon.co.uk: Various Artists: DVD & Blu-ray

Like me, he used to enjoy watching old black and white movies, with great plots and acting. Maybe we were just old guys sentimental about the world we grew up it. 😊

An era today regarded, as golden for great recordings and guitars alike. 😊

Quote: “I never pan things hard in a live mix”

I’m sure with very good reason.

I have a pal who when recording, tends to put everything in the Centre, or panned hard Left or Right. LCR.

I don’t follow this axiom myself, but he has produced a great many hit recordings for a huge number of well-known Artists and Groups.

So, it may be something worth trying sometime. I think the idea is associated with how consumer stereo systems operate, in an absolutely optimal manner.

He’s way better than I am, so I share that, as it may be useful to someone.

Quote: “I can't imagine a Pink Floyd show in mono.”

In 1972 my group played at the humongous Earls Court Area, the week following Pink Floyd’s Concert there. I was playing lead guitar at the time.

We were blessed by the manner in which Floyd’s experts had addressed the acoustical properties of that singularly particular building and left in place which we benefitted from.

The thing is, it’s not simply a matter of mono verses stereo, but rather how one presents stunning special effects in such a vast audience context, whilst simultaneously delivering a well-balanced sonic performance, to everyone in the building.

If it were to be explained regarding some of the complexities of the acoustic problems in that huge building, it would be possible to appreciate that it is necessary to think somewhat outside of the stereotypical (forgive the unintended pun) boxes, that can so easily frame our basic comprehension of such matters.

As Rupert Neve would say: “Implementation is Everything!”

Quote: “Have you ever listened to music in Surround Sound? Do you prefer it over Stereo? Is Surround Sound recordings the next leap for music to make?

I have a fondness for mono. 😊

Perhaps its because it was the format I grew up with, and when done well has many advantages.

Stereo and multi-channel playback systems require the listener to be placed and remain in the sweet spot.

Only in that area can they properly appreciate both the balance of sonorities within the mix and the complexities of ambience.

Coming from a background where my sound engineers loved to play about panning drum fills to the right and left.

You may appreciate that in major concert halls and stadiums alike, I prefer everyone in the audience that bought a ticket, to be able to appreciate a properly balance sound, regardless of wherever they are.

It’s a simple, practical point, that to my mind overrides many other technological factors.

Just because we can do something in a more sophisticated manner, its doesn’t mean that doing so, is the ideally optimal solution, for each and every situation.

I would never argue with anyone who favours multi-channel systems.

For instance, my son, who likes the latest movies and games, has an ATMOS system in his home.

I think that problem I have with such systems, is that I personally knew individuals, intimately involved with their earliest development.

And had access to the foremost pioneering commercial quadrophonic Hi-Fi systems and recordings. Left completely underwhelmed by their genuine contribution to the enjoyment of music.

People like Michael Gerzon who invented Ambisonic’s and with Peter Craven developed the Soundfield Microphone, would visit me at work and were always charmingly enjoyable company, discussing such matters.

Michael Gerzon Audio Pioneer (michaelgerzonphotos.org.uk)

The Michael Gerzon Story | Into The Soundfield (ox.ac.uk)

25 Years After His Death, a 3D Sound Pioneer Finally Gets the Mic (pcmag.com)

Michael saw himself as the natural successor to Alan Blumlein and was involved with Ray Dolby early in his development of noise reduction systems.

Coming up to date a bit, a great mentor of mine, with an eye to the future, has for several years; whenever he mixes a new album, instead of simply making a stereo mix, after he has finished.

Whilst everything is in place on the large format recording console, all the reverbs set up etc. He would also produce a 5.1 mix purely for archive purposes, in the belief that the format may become a future standard.

Instead of having to revisit all his old master tapes and archived digital files, set up everything again at the request of a record company, he has a multi-channel offering ready to give them, if and whenever it might be requested.

If I might diverge momentarily.

Often a mix presented to a record company that wishes to release it will be met with the sort of comments that follow: “we love the song and it’s a great mix, but can you do another with the vocal just a little louder?”

Alternatively, the comment might be: “we love the song and the mix is terrific but can you do another with the Bass just a little louder?” Or “we love the song and it’s a great mix but we would really like the vocal and the bass to be just a little louder before we release it!”

So, if one’s produce’s the ideal mix, and whilst everything is in place produces and alternative mix with the vocal 1 dB higher, another with the bass 1 dB higher, and another with the vocal and bass both 1 dB higher. One can meets their demands, and charge them for it, without never having to revisit the mix at all.

The time this takes is comparatively small, whilst the potential rewards great, and I think my mentor viewed multi-channel sound in much the same spirit.

The history of recording involves continual transition to new formats.

Every Thursday, the engineers making ATMOS recording shave a get together via computer link, and share ideas and tips, where they are gaining improvement in this technology.

Record companies have huge cash cows made up of immense back catalogue material. So lots of the reissued ATMOS recordings are produced by placing multiple speakers of the same type around a high calibre live room.

Playing back the original recordings digitised, in an ideal acoustical environment. Micing them along with the acoustical environment, re-recording original material to a multi-channel format for release, for those wanting their favourite recordings, on the latest format.

Of course, brand new recordings and games with their incredible sound effects are an entirely different matter altogether, which is why people like my son and others are drawn to the concept.

Forgive me if I appear sceptical, but I lend toward the notion that for record companies especially, the purpose of new formats is to remonetise existing recordings, many of which they no longer have to pay anyone anything much for.

I have made live recordings involving the addition of a biaural dummy head that have been commercially successful, but generally prefer mono or stereo recordings myself.

I can appreciate that if one is travelling along in a metal, glass and plastic bubble, the complexities of multi-channel audio in such a challenging acoustic environment is a wondrous achievement quite in itself.

I think I simply like to hear recordings played back on systems that are faithfully similar in concept to those on which the recording was made.

Early stereo was ping pong in effect. Good to the left and right but not in the centre. So, the three-channel tape recorder was invented and the centre channel used to reinforce the centre.

Some time ago I was contacted by a Mastering Engineer in New York looking for a three-track machine in working order. He had the job of re-mastering early Rolling Stones three-track recordings for their Anthology release.

Studios get upgraded and all too often old equipment is thrown away. Decades later it is needed. Eventually console designers learnt how to address the weak centre issue electronically, and the pan control was invented along with 4, 8, 16, 24 and 32 track tape machines.

The salient point being, all these advancements and new formats simply represent technological development.

The question for me is, do they represent a genuine improvement in audio playback, or have they been introduced chiefly, as a way to monetise existing catalogues of music material in a new format?

C.D. – Super Audio C.D.

DVD -BluRay

Etc et al.

Quote: “if you were to buy a 2nd kemper to back up your main rig, which one would you buy?” - “I'm just the kind of person who always likes to have a backup for everything.”

The concept of having back up is a soundly proven, professional approach.

Even if a live concert is not in the offing, sometimes electronic devices may require servicing.

Also, there’s convenience in having a studio set up permanently in place and a transportable set up ready to go.

Whatever way one looks at it, however one decides to implement their use, if one can afford it, a backup system provides insurance.

As for which to choose, there are benefits in having identical, duplicate systems.

Especially when the devices concerned are highly sophisticated, involving a substantial learning curve to gain familiarity with their use.

Alternatively, with broadly similar systems once one family device is mastered, there is simply the physical differences in layout that need to be absorbed.

A rack that also can include related gear utilised with the Kemper instead of a toaster in situations that demand flight cases, will derive benefits for those involved in a great deal of “road use”.

Similarly, those pre-eminently concerned with live performance involving foot switchable effects may find a floor unit as an alternative back up, to provide highly useful facilities in a compact, feature filled package.

As different individuals will identify with differing situations in how they with actually use their Kemper.

In practice only the individual involved is best place to analyse which approach and what products will provide an ideal combination to suit their singular requirements.

All this of course, presumes that money is no object.

In that instance, clearly the optimum route is to obtain a duplicate device to one’s main rig.

Which can be both a form of reputation building security and provide greater convenience along with a wider range of options and approaches for differing circumstances.

If money is a concern, but a straight forward, simple form of safety backup is required, I would look at devices like the Quilter Aviator III head or combo, or other of their products.

Finally, in a couple of weeks Blackstar will announce the launch of a similar device to some of the Quilter products at around £600 providing 100 watts with E.Q. and five footswitches for effects.

Shocked!

Cut up about this.

Jeff had a unique gift, touch and tonality.

One of the worlds few guitarists, instantly recognisable. A living personification of the truth that the sound of an instrument, really emanates from the player.

I remember a colleague, with him in the live room prior to recording a solo on someone else’s recording, afterward reflecting on the staggering humility of this immense talent.

Before the take, Jeff played an incredible solo to my friend. Then asked sheepishly “was that all right? Do you think this would be better?” Then played another, completely different, jaw dropping solo.

“Or, do you think this would fit better” he strived onward, and produced yet another scintillating performance. Then asked again, humbly inquiring, genuinely wanting feedback on his contribution. “What do you think would be best?”

Born in a country that has produced its fair share of the world’s most notable guitar talents. The late George Martin clearly regarded Jeff’s, instinctive sensibilities, as marking him as the most talented recording session lead guitarist, the U.K. ever produced.

There are speakers manufactured that provide what is comparatively an amazing linear response.

The problem is that the cost of such speakers is such that only professionals that require such a true response, who use them as tools to make their living, can afford them.

Years ago, the group I was in was greatly assisted by the late Rupert Neve, (he started out running P.A. hire) who had speakers for research and development, test purposes. Ruler flat up to 40,000 kHz they featured ribbon tweeters.

But there are great difficulties in producing speakers that respond truly and are genuinely revealing simply over a typical human ears range, regardless of what the frequency response chart might allude. For instance, whilst the figure regarding bass response may seem impressive, and in a sense, true.

Below a certain level the actual phase of the speaker’s bass response is likely to be all over the place. The salient point being, it is difficult and complex to produce linear flat, uncoloured speakers, as they require very expensive components and huge investments in time, involving high development costs, ultimately passed down to the consumer.

So, unless one has an unlimited budget at one’s disposal, its best to buy the best monitors one can afford and provide an acoustically treated space in which to listen to them.

Most of us, have a less than ideal solution in both regards, but that can be compensated for to a large degree, if the user is experienced, genuinely understanding what they are hearing and as the previous post highlighted, know the speakers well.

Where they flatter or lack in trueness, with the user possessing interpretive skill’s to properly appreciate how adjustments they make will translate to the final playback medium. In this respect they are things that can be done that in many cases may help greatly.

For instance, if the speakers phase response is not great, and no subs are available, then utilising a high pass filter and limiting the low-end response of the material can mean a higher over sound level could be achieved, due to removing energy sapping low end content, that is not being reproduced well if at all. Lots of mastering engineers will do this prior to pressing and distribution.

Perhaps I can give a couple of analogies that might help clarify.

Photography, a hobby, is the the art of appreciating and understanding the quality of light as it falls on a subject, being able to control and translate that faithfully on to a limited medium.

Too much light will cause over exposure, to little light will cause underexposure. That is the point, there are limitations to the medium. Whilst sound can run into ultrasonic and infrasonic ranges, there are benefits to controlling that, so we do not reproduce sonics that are likely to be negatively represented by the playback devices of our target consumers.

Just as we wouldn’t want to develop over or under exposed pictures for viewers. Though there might be occasions where creative necessities and narratives dictate’s we might indeed utilise such extremes, this general truth holds well for both pictorial and sonic mediums of reproduction.

Years ago, Fender bass designer Leo Fender incorporated a foam mute in the tailpiece of his instruments produced in the fifies and sixties. Session bass player Carol Kaye, utilised and under and over foam mute in front of the tailpiece of her instrument to remove subsonic sound, likely to be detrimental to a recording.

Given that technologies move on, and things improve, I still believe that many recordings can benefit by trimming away frequencies that commonly used consumer devise will struggle to properly reproduce.

One of my great mentors would track recordings using no equalisation whatever. With a great sound in the live room, he would achieve his results by judicious placement of the mic in the sweet spot of the instruments projection of sound.

On occasions, swapping out a mic for another, better suited for the application and source. One of his recordings that earned him a Grammy, was so perfectly recorded, there was nothing the mastering engineer could adjust that would improve it. He transferred the recording flat.

So if you want flatness, look to your whole production chain and processes because usually there’s lots we can do to improve the operation of everything, quite apart from what equipment we possess.

In regard to the Yamaha speakers. By a strange coincidence a couple of weeks ago I visited my local Music Shop to see about a new guitar. I normally have a good chat with a friend of mine whilst down there and in doing so got to listen to a track recorded by my mentor on the very speakers you are interest in.

My initial impression was that they lacked bass and were flat sounding speakers likely to be ok as home recording monitors, but as I wrote lacked bass response. The cones are not 7” as one might imagine but 6 ½”. I normally listen to 8” woofers on my nearfield monitors.

Turning the volume up quite a bit louder they delivered a far better bass response altogether, and we started to enjoy listening to the track we had selected. Probably the Fletcher-Munson effect was involved for as volume increases, usually so does bass response.

However, when mixing sound, it’s not good to listen at higher volume levels for long periods (although I know of people who do this). Not only because of damaging ones hearing over time, but also because our awareness of the balance of sonorities in a mix can alter at differing sound levels, as I explained in the example above.

I understand that Yamaha manufacture a sub unit for these monitor speakers, and perhaps that is the reason why. If you purchase them, try them for a while and see if you might need to add a sub unit to extend the bass response for your playback system. Probably I would lend towards the 8” version of the speakers thinking the bass response in the basic monitors alone would be better.

But the bass response in the 7’s was excellent as the volume was markedly increased. I hadn’t visited the shop to listen to speakers, but trust this coincidence is of some service to you.

They seemed good for the money, but I would go for the HS 8’s for the reason described above.

In regard to the poster who wishes to hear in his monitors a representation of what is heard in the P.A. I have no argument, its great he knows what he wants.

Not everyone will want to hear that however, and many musicians will wish and actually need to individually hear specific elements of a mix in order to be able perform their role properly.

Actually, a great friend of mine, a good drummer was as far as anyone knows the first musician ever to ask for headphones in a studio recording. He wanted to hear the singer, because he was listening (often with an orchestra playing) for the spaces when the singer was not singing, because that meant he could place a drum fill without cutting across the singer’s emotive message in the song, even if the singers pickup started at the end of the bar before the next verse or chorus.

Today drummers are often surrounded by an innumerable number of toms and cymbals, such that if they produce a fill around the whole kit, and that is lifted in the mix, they are at the very least, likely to cut across the singer’s pickup and detrimentally distract from the powerful message and emotion of the song.

I’m not against lots of tom toms, but they have to find their place in a mix that enhances rather than detracts from the purpose of the overall production.

Avoiding choking the singer’s words with a fill required him to only hear the singer in his cans.

Great to read that your efforts to solve the noise issues are rewarding you so bountifully.

They are not everyone cup of tea, but purchasing a power conditioner and plugging everything into that has worked well for me. It cleaned up the quality of the power supply tremendously, resulting in cleaner audio.

So, I have no hesitation in recommending a Furman, or some other device of that type. I bought some special leads to plug into it, for devices that use typical plugs from a company called CPC, so it acts like a hub that all my recording equipment can plug into.

So, the recording interface (RME) two additional mic preamps (RME) giving twenty phantom powered preamps for mics or line inputs. The dedicated recording computer, two large monitor screens, playback amplifier (which utilises passive speakers) and a number of 88 note keyboards and synths all plug into the Furman.

They all appear to benefit from the cleaned power supply resulting in less audible noise throughout the entire system and there remains an available socket on the front of the power conditioner to which I can plug in any instrument amplifier wish to use, to incorporate it in a similar manner.

However, there is an additional benefit to this this arrangement which is perhaps better informed by reading another thread current on this forum, which discusses whether there are benefits to leaving equipment switched on, or switching it off.

Is it safe to leave Kemper on for extended periods of time? - Page 2 - Profiler - Questions and answers - Kemper Profiler Forum (kemper-amps.com)

That is a discussion that goes back a long way. Some of you will know of Alan Turing’s “Colossus” computer that was created to defeat the Enigma machine. It utilised 2,500 valves or tubes. British military experts who had a lot of trouble using valve equipment in the desert were against building the computer because of that.

However, Tommy Flowers of the Post Office research and development at Dollis Hill (Now BT at Martlesham Heath in Suffolk) had a lot of experience with valves. He told the authorities that what short lived the life of valves was the constant switching on and off they endured. Like a light bulb and its tungsten element, it was repeated heating and cooling that shortened its life.

If the valves were left on constantly and not switched on and off they would be completely reliable, he claimed. The military (like Dads Army) didn’t believe him, so Tommy put his own money into the project to make it happen and proved his point.

Those of us who are older with lots of recording studio experience will be aware that the same discussions came up when large format recording consoles that utilised tubes were developed. Although there is an energy cost to keeping equipment running constantly, some studio owners claimed the reduction in equipment failures, maintenance and studio downtime costs meant there was an overall benefit to that approach.

Bringing this up to date.

Some modern digital recording equipment that is very highly regarded has suffered from equipment failures to their on /off switches and built-in power supplies.

Whether it’s simply individual third part supplier component failure, or the practise of continual switching on and off, contact making and breaking, heating and cooling, etc. et al.

The reality of such equipment failures due to quite simple components and operational processes are a definitive, measurable factor.

My solution has been to plug all the related devices into a power conditioner and allow all the equipment that I wish to power up at the pressing of a single switch.

Obviously, the computer has a switch on its front that has to be pressed to power it. Likewise, any additional equipment that is only utilised occasionally is switched on when it is to be used.

The audio is cleaner with less audible noise detectable with reference headphones, a lower noise floor on the already low noise floor interface (with good mics) the interface components enjoy a longer lifespan.

And nearly everything involved powers up at the flick of a single switch.

What’s not to like?

There’s a great many excellent ideas, suggestions and thoughts included in the contributions of everyone in this thread.

Of course, different performers will have varying line ups of musicians, thus particular solutions will suit differing musical situations, more than others.

It’s not uncommon for a musical piece to gather a little pace as it goes along, such as that which highly experienced, sensitive musicians would readily pick up on.

But that shouldn’t ever be a forgone conclusion we expect, nor should it be a great matter of heart rendering soul searching, if it happens. It is simply, a common occurrence.

Using a metronome prior to a performance seems a perfect solution, and I would never argue with someone, who felt it to be exactly that.

However, for the “leader” in the full glare of the audience’s gaze, that can pose difficulties, even embarrassment. Perhaps you will forgive an analogy.

My hobby is photography, and any photographer who is preoccupied with technical details, setting up the shot, will find their waiting subjects interest, mood and demeanour, waning tremendously.

Much better to have the background, lighting and props set up ready, the camera in position on a strong tripod, focussed and incident light metering taken from the posing position. Wheel them in, place them and talk to them in a manner that enlivens and animates, opening them up. Then simply press the button, without even needing to look through the camera, to capture their personality and expression.

The idea that entertaining performers should be preoccupied with technical matters on a live stage is simply somewhere (I at least), feel they shouldn’t ever be going.

Furthermore, as stated above, in less technologically eras, it was common place for music to pick up a tiny bit of pace, and almost natural for it to do so. Thus, to my ears, when a click-track or metronome is fed to live musicians, (to me), the effect appears to be something rather mechanical, as opposed to musical.

Someone earlier used word “breathing”. I rather like that word, as in almost all genres of music, there are places in songs where its musicality is enhanced by subtle relaxing and pacing of tempo. Similarly, music is tremendously improved by the subtle relaxing and augmentation of its overall dynamic. Something grossly missing from too many recording these days. Arranger Nelson Riddle, would identify the emotional peaks in a piece of music, and work from peak to peak, building the arrangement to emotional climaxes.

If that sounds formulaic, think about music that start with a musical peak, when it does relax a tiny bit, the audience’s soul and ears will welcome it.

What I’m really writing is that subtle (as well as dramatic) adjustments in tempo as well as dynamics are living features of all the greatest music ever recorded.

These might simply be tweaks in between verses and choruses at the most basic level, but they exist to tremendously benefit the emotional impact of a song; drawing the audience into its meaning, powerfully moving them and with verve and aplomb, thrusting them into a memorably heightened, scintillating, musical experience.

Mechanical music might be fine now and then, but it does have its limits.

George, (an old pal) had a renowned drummer in his studio he had to record. There was banter about how good the drummers timing was.

As an audio designer, with lots of test gear, George set up some equipment that would enable him to test the accuracy of the drummers timing across the complete take, of a recorded song.

From start to finish across the entire piece, the drummer, (sadly no longer with us), was proven to have erred in timing by precisely 1 millisecond. In one sense the musician was incredibly admired by me for his incredible accuracy.

But in another sense, if I felt that if everything he played was that “tight”, it left little room indeed for some of the most beautifying and enhancing aspects of musical presentation. Again, although a truism, it depends on the singular music and the ensemble presenting it.

I have been extremely fortunate in my life to have never actually worked with a bad drummer.

Befriending, being taught by and working with many truly excellent drummers and percussionists over the years.

The most notable of which was James Blades who worked with Charlie Chaplin at the advent of “talkies”, Winston Churchill, performing music to announcing radio broadcasts and speeches and “Uncle Arthur”, playing the gong to introduce films made by the Rank Organisation. (The huge on-screen gong was actually made of cardboard).

The idea that the drummer keeps time was also dispelled to me by session bassist Carol Kaye, from whom I received tutoring, when I wished to write better bass parts as a musical arranger and orchestrator, as over time, the instrument became dominant in musical recordings.

She had a problem with timing at one point in her life. Purchased a large electronic box which was a highly specialised metronome and devoted herself to perfecting an unerring sense of timing, working at that with the typically obsessive dedication she is known for.

After some time, she developed a heightened sense of timing (something I have found particular session musicians possess over many very good musicians) and from that point, set timing, from which drummers would take their cue. Rather than the other way round.

If that seems a revolutionary concept to you, I must admit it was to me, at the time.

I think of it like this.

A drummer does not play a musical instrument.

They actually play upward of at least 10 instruments, simultaneously.

Utilising hands and feet in complex patterns of coordination, and keeping in time, despite needing to continually move between these instruments.

What is more, great drummers have a tremendous sense of internal balance, they can strike these variously resonating instruments, blending them together with just the right dynamic .

Many people, (I read) have difficulty recording amateur drummers, as certain instruments in the kit stand out far too much, ruining the recording. The real problem there, is the drummers lack of internalised balance all widely experienced drummers develop.

In contrast.

A bassist has only one instrument to deal with and play in time.

It does require a kind of revolution in thought, and of course the bassist has to truly be up to snuff with the task. But if one thinks the above through, it does make sense.

The elephant in the room in regard to metronomes.

Is the idea that what appears to be the perfect tempo, performing in your bedroom or rehearsal room.

Will, when stood performing in a much larger building, or a good concert hall, remain the ideal correct tempo for the acoustical properties, innate to the new circumstance.

In American musical notation, composers use a Tempo Mark indicating a quarter note at “X” beats Per Minute. In Europe, Italian phrases indicate the emotional sensibility, mood and style required.

If one examines a metronome of high quality. On one side it will typically indicate Beats Per Minute. Whilst adjacently, simultaneously indicating the Italian Phrases associated with those Beats Per Minute.

The salient point being, that for any given Italian phrase, there will be an entire range of utterly correct tempos, that can be readily utilised for music intended by the composers indications, conveying the desired emotional expression.

In short, the acoustical properties of the concert hall and the size and placement of the audience, will impact and dictate the best tempo for the music to be performed at, in that singular room and situation.

Not to take such matters into account can only diminish the effectiveness and impact of one’s music, on that audience in that place.

In the worst cases, it can make words incomprehensible, and fast musical passages, indistinctive, blurred and confusing.

Familiarity with the music to be performed, breeds confidence in achieving an impressive rendition.

Part of that is a heightened sensitivity imprinting in one’s memory the pace of tempo.

As earlier outlined, that should be clearly communicated.

Long before the sounding of the first note.

A great mentor to me, once explained that if one listed all the various individual aspects and qualities in music, required to perform the piece absolutely perfectly.

When all those differing elements are present and in perfect symmetry and balance with each other, that an additional quality is added to the musical performance.

Although he was a highly respected, learned man, he knew of no word in the vocabulary which actually conveyed what he was attempting to explain. So, he called titled extra quality “Impressiveness”.

This is a quality that I believe we all should seek.

It is not a singular element of performance, but is the effect encountered, when the sum total of every aspect of a piece of music is properly rendered.

With the greatest respect to the original poster and all those struggling with particular aspects of performance, I would have thought, that nailing the tempo, should be fundamental to every performance.

However one achieves it.

Quote: “i would like to put a click track on my ears so i play at the correct tempo when i start a song by myself. The problem is that sometimes I start a song too slow or too fast depending on how I'm feeling that day.”

With respect, if would appear that you have no compellingly needful requirement for MIDI controlled tempo establishment.

Such as supportive backing tracks added by technicians at specific points synchronising with live performance, for impressive augmentation.

It also appears that you personally lack genuine confidence in your innate ability to establish the correct tempo, for each and every song performance.

As £160 is too great cost for you to outlay, to provide a technical solution.

Referencing a cheap metronome affording a visual indication or a vibrating indication are two methods you could adopt.

If you are fronting a band, the draw back with the former is that to the audience, a lack of professionalism, will become clearly apparent.

With the latter, your diverted attention and preoccupation with continuing necessary technical adjustments, will have on them a similar effect to watching paint dry.

Thus, handing the responsibility to a reliable drummer who can be equipped with a low-cost metronome to establish timing for the introduction of each song, would appear to be by far the easiest solution.

However, establishing timing is something which I am very familiar with in live performance.

As I have worked primarily as a Musical Director conducting large ensembles of singers and musicians.

Responsible for 150 individuals, plus technical staff in the productions. Which has involved recording live albums in prestigious concert halls.

Thus, establishing the tempo, not only in my own mind, but also in everyone else’s involved in the production, has been a very important part in the role, it is necessary for me to play.

To that end, thoroughly rehearsing that role, until the correct tempo becomes an innate part of ones being, is an essential discipline to cultivate.

Moreover, a methodical plan is necessary to clearly communicate that tempo, in an easy-to-understand manner, to everyone else involved singing or playing, each specific piece of music.

How does one do that?

Please appreciate that any slap dash methodology is neither good enough in my typical situation, or indeed, in any other.

It involves practice, discipline and repeated rehearsal till “ideal tempo” become an automatic association in the mind, imprinted with the memory of the music itself.

Until, tempo is no longer something one “counts” but something one “feels” inside as a part of one’s actual being. It is no less than a complete internalisation of the tempo, ultimately to be externally be heard.

To that end, when one piece finishes and some might be taking a bow, I will be actively engrossed in mentally establishing the tempo for the next piece in my own mind, and extremely discretely communicating that simultaneously to all the singers and musicians.

During rehearsals I will have explained my methods to those involved, and described my discrete method of indicating the tempo of the next piece to them. That during times of applause, thy should take very careful note and using the indications to already establish in their own minds, the tempo for the next piece.

I describe what we are up to like this...

Imagine they are in a huge airport, its so big, they have mechanical walk ways to aid movement.

They are walking along the moving walkway themselves, at a continuous, set pace. Carried along and moving with it, quite effortlessly, as one.

Finally, they will step off the moving walkway conveying them along and continue to move along the motionless ground, at an exact pace they have already, clearly established.

I will typically give two bars of discrete, but clearly conducted introduction, prior to the start of the piece. However, the first note of music performed, is by analogy, the singers and musicians first step off the moving walkway conveying them along (the discrete tempo indications).

Therefore, the first music the audience will hear, is not the onset of a tempo that is beginning to be established. Rather, it is the entirely natural continuation of a set tempo that has been seen, felt and understood for a much more considerable time that anyone in the audience could possibly ever be aware of.

In the singers and musician’s hearts, minds and souls, they have been walking along that moving conveyor for while by now, and the sounding of the first notes of music the audience perceives, is simply their first step off that conveyor, continuing to walk at the steady pace they are already, completely familiar, and at wholly at one with.

I collect headphones amongst other things, and have particular headsets that I prefer for various tasks.

250 Ohms is a typical professional studio specification, the standard most commonly used.

On the Kemper, I have been using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Open headphones @ 250 Ohm and they sound fine to my ears.

I am sure in my own mind the Kemper designer has produced a high-quality headphone amplifier capable of driving professionally specified headphones, that is the real point.

So, I would recommend that you think about whether you prefer or require Open Headphones or closed. That determinative factor is to my mind a more important consideration.

Where closed headphones are concerned, I usually record with Beyer DT-150’s.

But like their DT-100 predecessor, they are not the most comfortable headphones and clamp onto the head very strongly.

But they are flat sounding to my ears, widely used in professional recording studios and are thus a “de facto” standard. The salient point being I know their sound and how that sound will translate forward.

I would recommend the Beyer DT-770 closed headphones as a much more comfortable alternative. But be aware they not only feel beautiful on the head, they sound beautiful with their emphasis on accentuating the bass and treble as opposed to providing the more boringly true “flatness” of the 100 and 150’s.

Interestingly for you, the DT-770 closed headphones are available in a 32 Ohm version, an 80 Ohm version and a 250 Ohm version. So, if you are concerned about precisely matching impedance, theses will meet your requirements exactly. But as I mentioned, 250 Ohm headphones work fine with the Kemper anyway, so I wouldn’t worry so much about the impedance and focus more on whether you need or prefer, open headphones or closed for recording with microphones. I believe that to be more important.

Although I have many other well known brands, some very exotic, I find the Beyers to be the best investment bang for the buck. Especially as the professional headphones are designed to be repaired in the field, (studio) when needed, and the drivers, headbands, ear cushions and cables are all available to purchase after sale, so they can be maintained and used over a great many years indeed.

Open headphones give a sense of space and are easy to wear and use for longer periods without fatigue. But I would encourage you to try on ear / over ear, closed and open as differing types and thinking longer term about in what situations you are likely to use them before you make you final decision.

The alternatives you state, are between a product that which has been discontinued and a well proven current product backed by exemplary, class leading service in the Kemper. To me, this would be a very simple and crystal-clear choice.

An absolute no-brainer.

If money is no object, I would advise purchasing the Kemper Powerhead as the amplifier can be switched on and off.

Thus, the unit used typically as a normal head with all its sounds in a convenient package, with the amp switched off, when it’s not needed.

However, with the amplifier built in, when it is needed, a scenario that likely you will eventually face. you already have its power there available at the press of a button.

To me, a simple win, win, choice, most especially as when you have actually profiled your existing amplifiers, you find that its often far more convenient to utilise the Kemper, in their place.

Again, as money is no object, as bundles are available that include the footswitch panel which actively extends the practical usefulness of the profiling amplifier, but at advantageous prices, you may find the most cost- effective solution to buy both units simultaneously.

I found that after purchasing the profiling amp, it quite naturally followed that the footswitch panel would be an obviously desirable next purchase, powerfully enlarging the usability of the primary unit, as it does.

The obvious sound level limitations at night your present situation places upon you, is not a singularly unusual situation with which others are unacquainted. The Kemper would appear to provide you with a highly versatile sonic solution, with tremendous connectivity, that would ideally meet the need you describe.

Expect a serious learning curve, as whatever you imagine the Kemper profiling to be capable of, you will find that it is in point of fact, capable of far more than your wildest dreams ever envisaged. This would be enough for quite a while, see what you need if anything, from there on.

I used to have a number of quite large, very hard, foam isolation pads designed for studio monitors.

They were probably about 1 1/2 inches, around 4 cm’s thick, and had no “give” in them, they were very solid indeed. Today I use them cut down in size to isolate amplifiers.

Best I can recall I got them from studiospares, though they don’t seem to sell them at the moment, perhaps something else they do stock might help so here’s a link.

Speaker Spares & Accessories - Studiospares

Other than that, maybe a specialised pedal board to isolate the unit from mechanical connection with the floor?

Listening to the video from the first post, the impression I gained was that the effect had been created by simply adjusting MIDI parameters, inputted via a synth, during production, following the played performance.

Listening live to top artists whose sonic signature famously involves a stutter effect especially where vocals are concerned, my observation has been they struggle to reproduce live, an effect they have absolutely perfected during studio production.

Without utilising synchronised backing tracks then, my notion regarding the production of this effect live, is that it could easily become a poorly implemented attempt, at recreating, an "era related" sonic fashion.

I do wonder whether tremolo pedals set at a fast rate would be able to create enough of an effect to have the kind of impact you want. As I might be tempted to approach this matter not attempting to precisely recreate the original effect.

But rather, to utilise a truly impactful alternative effect in a dramatically powerful manner. Your audience will probably not recall yesteryears original effect too clearly, but could be taken aback by a well-timed, well implemented effect, strongly made in performance.

Or you could try this this new slicer pedal by Boss.

You would have to listen right through the video to see if you feel it could emulate something approaching the effect you seek.

It might be worth wading through the adverts for. I think it’s the nearest thing to what you seem to want, but you will have to ignore all the other noises it is capable of the demonstrator is so enraptured by. Towards the end it seems to offer something akin to what you seek.

BOSS SL-2 Slicer Pedal - The Best Features - YouTube

I would never presume to give advice concerning the Kemper, unknowledgeable and inexperienced with the device as I am, most especially so being surrounded hereabouts, by genuine experts.

However, it occurred to me that as you are using a Les Paul, and certain models are fitted with quite high output pickups; if the first input on the Fender amp was used (which by designed for lower output single coils) that could add distortion.

Some modern high output Les Pauls are fitted with linear pots and lowering the volume can give a great clean sound. However, distortion can be added simply by turning the volume higher to utilise the full output of the pickup/s. So, I wonder if the simple level of the pickups could be contributing factor?

That might be compensated for by adjustment on the instrument itself.

The other thought I had was that as you are utilising a mixer in your set up, I would question whether the gain staging throughout your recording signal chain is properly optimised? Either at the input gain, fader setting or output level? Too much level at any point in the signal chain, could result in unwanted distortion.

Although we tend to think of equalisation, gain and fader settings as completely different entities, its worth considering that all these differing adjustments at our disposal are in the most fundamental essence, forms of gain control.

It’s just that equalisation simply effects a boost or reduction at a preselected or built in given frequency (or range) and cross a given quality factor, (Q factor) depending on how wide or narrow the range of frequencies either side of the selected frequency are affected.

But essentially, it all involves a form of gain (level) if you can momentarily think about the matter in that way, and of course, it’s possible to optimise the gain staging so tightly, with insufficient headroom, that when equalisation is later adjusted, the gain going forward begins to overload the signal chain.

Of course, if you are using pedals or rack equipment, (Chorus and delay were mentioned), these too involve the need to carefully be properly gain staged.

Lastly, the Fender Deluxe Reverb is a 22 watt amplifier utilising 6V6 power tubes.

These differ from the 6L6 power tubes in the Fender Twin Reverb which have a rather higher clean output, before their sound begins to break up. (Audibly distort).

Therefore, there is less clean headroom available in the Deluxe Reverbs 6V6 power tubes, which are thus, more susceptible and more easily over driven into power tube distortion.

Others, more knowledgeable than me may be able to assist you more ably than I, but I trust something within the comments above may be of truly genuine assistance to you. If nothing else, food for thought!

When practising, as a generalisation, beginning slower than the ideal tempo, focussing on accuracy and clarity and working up to, then beyond the ideal tempo, follows a military axiom, “train hard, fight easy.”

Usually, as others have stated, tempo is more often than not guided by the expectations of the listener in any given genre. Or the audience expectation in a particular setting, a club, a wedding, a dance, etc.

When I was first starting to learn about music in the late fifties, the commonly held understanding about this matter was that 120 BPM was the pace that people walked about in busy major cities. It was the pace of life.

But there is rather more to this matter, for although this would not be true for most European Armies, the standard American Military Band marching tempo is 120 BPM. That’s one pulse every 30 seconds, easy to gauge with a time piece.

Quite a few major record releases that were initially recorded slower in tempo, have been slightly adjusted in later final mix down or at the mastering stage to give the musical feel a bit more pep. Thus 120 BPM is the most common tempo for modern chart hit recordings.

My experience for what it's worth has been that at times, the tempo the artist feels comfortable with, that they feel is the right tempo, (especially if the artist wrote the work and has lived with it a long time) is none-the-less felt by the producer to languish somewhat and needs a little something to “lift” it, in order for it to qualify as hit parade material, worth releasing as a single. Genre related again.

Although this can change the pitch of instruments and affect a voice rather more dramatically. (So best to alter the speed before the vocals are added). If performed judiciously, such a tempo adjustment could be viewed as simply another production process, available to producers in an era of growing experimentation.

Studer A-80 etc. Multi-Track Tape machines were fitted with a voltage adjuster on the rear of the unit, (mains voltages could drop if a session ran late into the small hours, and cause an unwanted slowing, but be thus adjusted for) but this facility could be also utilised to deliberately alter the pace of a recording for a variety of reasons.

If you have ever played along with an instrument to an older vinyl recording one may have noticed that you’re in-tune instrument does not coincide with the pitch of the recording, regardless of whatever key one plays in. Given that cheaper players had a motor that was plus or minus to their target specification. Perfectly calibrated strobe players indicate that an adjustment in tempo had been made to the initial recording.

Although in America composers normally use a tempo mark at the top of the opening page, indicating the precise ideal tempo envisaged.

In contrast in Europe, by long historic tradition, Italian words and phrases are utilised to describe not only the tempo but also the sense of feeling and meaning of the music.

If you look closely at a metronome along with Beats Per Minute, one will find the range of available tempos indicated by many different, specific sections, headed by such Italian words.

The reason for this is that although a composer might well have an ideal tempo for their composition in mind. A conductor is aided by the afforded latitude in related tempos indicated by these sections within the metronomes full range.

Dependant on the size of concert hall or room the music is to be performed in, the available degrees of adjustment in correct tempo enables the best tempo to be selected that works most optimally in the specific building the music is to be performed in, taking into account its acoustics and the absorption of sound the size of audience will provide.

As for myself, I use an American tempo mark along with an Italian word or phrase at the heading of the opening page. This (I feel) affords the musicians a clear indication of both the ideal tempo, grants insight into the emotional feel of the music implied by the phrase, and also allows the conductor/musicians latitude within the relative range afforded to make necessary adjustments for the type of concert hall and size of audience encountered.

Thank you all so much for the helpful responses, links and information; but even more so, a big Thank You for your friendliness and kindness.

This seems like a very friendly forum, brimming with knowledgeable and genuine people. A great place to learn.

I've was also very impressed by the speedy, helpful support at Kemper, as I sent a pre-sales question.

It seems an extremely well-run operation on top of a great product.

I just wish all companies were like this!

I have a few new user questions, that I haven’t been able to find the answer to elsewhere and don’t wish to bother Kemper support with. I trust the experienced amongst us will bear with me and my simple queries.

The Home Computer I use for downloading and updating etc. is in a different location from the Music Computer and Studio Gear, but they share the same building and internet router.

Can I install Rig Manager on the two separate computers, as I think it will be more convenient, helpful and easier to have Rig Manager on both, depending upon what I am doing?

When I first used the Kemper, I had to input a User Name into the device. As I was attempting to do so, and floundering a little, unfamiliar as I was with it, somehow the device suddenly accepted an incomplete name and moved on to the next stage.

Can I revisit and edit the incorrect name and exactly how would I do that, step by step?

I note that by design the Kemper utilises microphones dynamic mic types i.e. that there is no provision for phantom powered condenser mics. Although I have the ubiquitous SM 57 and I suppose my best dynamic mic is the SM7B, I would prefer to use one of my Neumann mics for profiling, when I eventually get round to that process.

Here's the thing. I have a couple of studio boxes specifically designed to provide 48 V phantom power for mics where no phantom power exists.

Can I use the Condenser Mics with 48V phantom power from the Studio boxes, using the line out from the Studio box into the Kemper, via the return XLR socket at the rear of the Kemper, without deleterious harm to the device?

Or is it just safer and better simply to use a dynamic mic?

Although the answers to these questions may seem obvious to many, I prefer to ask the questions and benefit from the experience of people more knowledgeable than myself.

Many Thanks in anticipation of any helpful replies!

Thank you for your warm welcome and kindly expressed sentiments.

Looking over the forum, it appears to be a well moderated, low noise venue, packed with extremely knowledgeable people.

A great venue then, so I hope to learn a lot from the pool and wealth of experience hereabouts. I am an analogue man in a digital world...