Posts by Plank Spanker

Hi, I mean the word ‘can’ in the last sentence.

I have to agree with this unfortunately. I don’t see any way that the Kemper itself can know what type of profile it is useing. Therefore, we would be relying on the person doing the profiling to fill in the dat field manually and more importantly ACCURATELY. I can see this ever happening unfortunately.

Did you mean to say “can’t”?

Well, I think that for that kind of tones and atmospheres the Player is meant to be used with other pedals.

A more powerful and versatile solution would be to use the Player in the loop of a small, powerful multift unit, in order to get the best of the two worlds

:)

I think you're bang on but I'd still like to see the Player's capabilities expanded to more of a standalone unit. But, I understand the product's positioning. I just don't want to build another board and was attracted to the Player for its small footprint.

So I have been playing for over 30 years and dived into the profiler world about 6 weeks ago and purchased a quad cortex not really understanding what I was getting myself into.. I dialed in some decent tones and went and did 2 shows with the unit and and everyone including my lead singer commented on how good the unit sounded however the designers that engineered it must not have played live because the foot switches were way to close together and I found myself playing footsie almost all night trying into the the right sound I needed for the song. So I was still in my return window at sweet water so I exchanged it for the Kemper stage. My first impressions are that the lay out of the Kemper stage is much easier to navigate. The profiles are far more abundant with the Kemper as well as the support however I do the QC will get there but it has a way to go. I do agree the user interface is a little more robust with the QC however the Kemper does have its own sound which I find intriguing. The proof will be in the pudding when I do my next set of gigs in 2 weeks I will update with my impressions thanks

I moved all the blocks I normally turn on/off to the lower row on the Quad Cortex. That helped a lot. I also have separate presets for each song so I often just need to hit the preset up footswitch on the far right. Looking forward to your feedback on the Stage.

Been using the Quad Cortex since launch (a few years now). It replaced Fractal and along the way I've had other guitar processors. The Quad Cortex did everything I ever wanted in a modeler and sounded the best to my ears.

I've always been Kemper curious though so when the Player dropped, I thought, hey, this is for me! A small little unit I can take to jams and I can discover what all the Kemper fuss is about. I was also looking forward to finding tone (rig?) packs for some of my favourite artists - more on this later.

So a week after launch, this thing found its way from Germany to Canada and into my hot little hands. I was impressed with the build quality and couldn't wait to plug this thing in. I used its XLR out to the board alongside the dual XLRs from the Quad Cortex going into the same board and PA speakers. After a real short bootup (at least compared to the Quad Cortex), it was up and running and waiting for my opening riffs.

Starting with rig one on bank one, my initial impressions were that this sounded just like I would expect an amp through a guitar cabinet to sound. I know users have talked about Kemper feel but I never understood what that meant. Now I know. You feel like you are one with the unit and not separated across a digital divide like I feel with other modelers including the Quad Cortex. It was a great experience. I experimented with other rigs and found a few more I really liked.

The Player is easy to use, intuitive for the most part and sounds very good, especially at stage volumes. I feel I'm playing through the actual amp and cabinet. Kemper did an amazing job too with the iOS apps. It's so easy to adjust the unit on the fly using my iPad or iPhone. Picking new rigs is quick and easy with the app and it's easy to see what's in the rig. I actually prefer using the iPad with the Kemper to the screen on the Quad Cortex.

As for my tonal preferences, I slightly prefer the more "processed" tones on the Quad Cortex. There's a little more going on that gets me feeling like I'm playing with a large board with all sorts of effects leading to a more interesting sound. I'm pretty sure though, that with some tweaks to the blocks on the Player, I can reproduce this (I'm a Dave Gilmour fan so that's why I think I gravitate to more complex signal chains).

The one thing that worries me is that when I bought the Player, I didn't know the number of effect blocks were limited. Now I'm concerned that I won't be able to find the rig packs I want for the artists I would like to emulate. For more simple artist rigs like AC/DC, Queen, Deep Purple, Steppenwolf, etc that won't be a problem. Basically, most of the classic rock and blues genres will be easily covered by the unit's current capabilities.

For more exotic rigs such as those from Pink Floyd, I think it may be a struggle building or buying the rigs for their songs. We'll see. I'm hopeful that at some point, the Player will have its signal chain expanded to support more blocks.

Overall, this is a keeper for me. It won't replace the Quad Cortex but it's going to stay part of my regular playing rig for the studio and I'll likely use this for jams when I'm not gigging with my band. Kemper did a really good job with the design and I don't miss having a screen at all. I'm looking forward to learning how to use this device and the accompanying Rig Manager. It should be a fun journey!

You have a good memory. From the manual:

Hold this button for longer to deactivate both Bluetooth® as well as Wi-Fi.

To get back into the default modes:

Reset

Hold the Bluetooth®/Wi-Fi Button for about 15 seconds to clear any Bluetooth® devices and Wi-Fi networks, and return to Access Point Mode.

Ok....

• Changing to home network in RM worked fine
    • Disconnected from PC, WiFi/BT button turned yellow (I guess to show it's connected to my home network as it's normally green in Hotspot mode)
    • Connecting to the Player with my device (also connected to my home WiFi) worked fine
    • Rebooted the Player, I can still connect to it via my Home network - yay!
    • Turned off WiFi at the Player, turned it back on and it's still in Home Network mode - great

But, if I want to take this out and use it at a gig and be able to connect to it via my tablet or phone, how do I get it back into Hotspot mode without having to remember to switch it back on the PC?

Thanks for the help so far.

I'll try again but I suspect the Player will always default to Hotspot mode. I think Kemper's reasoning would be that if you take the unit out on the road, you have no way to connect it to any WiFi service unless you bring a PC with you. Mobile RM doesn't let you adjust WiFi settings.

Therefore, when you turn on WiFi mode on the Player, it currently only goes into Hotspot mode. I think that's what's happening but would appreciate confirmation from Kemper.