Posts by timowens

I wouldn't assume that professional profilers make their profiles louder for a purpose though.

I don't want to assume that either, but I have to ask, then why do they do it? I'm not trying to make accusations, but when I make a profile, if I want to adjust the volume I simply adjust the profile volume, I don't go out of my way to adjust the EQ, cab and/or some post amp effect, it doesn't make sense unless there is a reason for it. Maybe some people think adjusting the cab volume has a different effect on the tone as opposed to adjusting the profile volume, I honestly don't know, but I think it's a valid question. Maybe they are right, I haven't tested this theory, I was hoping someone who knew for a fact would clarify whether one volume adjustment has an effect on the overall tone as opposed to the other would chime in.

To be honest, the thing that brought this to my attention was the fact that with commercial profiles I almost always clip the output unless I go through and turn down the various volume settings, and that just didn't make sense to me why I need to do that.

Okay, so now my second question, and please take this with a grain of salt. So if changing the volume 'post' amp doesn't affect the tone, why do so many people do it? Here's what I mean, I download a profile, free or paid for, and then I compare it to my own profiles I think wow, that sounds so much better than my profile. But one day I realized, those profiles are simply louder, when I go through and set all of the volume levels to zero dB (like my profiles) all of a sudden we are on equal grounds, and now they don't sound so much better than my own profiles, actually, sometimes I really need to go back and forth comparing my profile to the other profile to actually hear a difference.

I guess my point is, if you want to compare Profile-A to Profile-B, they really need to be the same volume, and it seems like a lot of people are turning up the volume "post amp" which seems to give an unfair advantage to their profiles when comparing them to other profiles.

Am I way off base here? Has anyone else noticed this? I don't mean to make it sound like certain people intentionally crank up the volume of their profiles to make them sound better, but, on the other hand it seems to work out that way whether it's intentional or not.

Does the volume setting on the cab or any of the post amp effects affect the tone in any way, or is it simply a volume adjustment (not including the Fletcher–Munson effect). I can see where a pre amp effect volume adjustment would change the gain and tone of the amp, but I would expect that the cab and effects after the amp wouldn't affect the tone as you adjust the volume parameter, they would simply change the volume.

And for you grammar guru's, I still haven't figured out how to use the words "effect" and "affect" so please take it easy on me :)

That is not the style of music that I normally listen to but I have to say that I totally enjoyed it. Very nice work, and the guitar playing and tones fit perfectly.

Can't seem to find the Quick Rod on the exchange, is it still there? Tried every which way plus searching under your name, got the Dirty Shirley but no QuickRod...?

Sorry about that, I haven't used the exchange in a while, I just uploaded a few, these are the ones that I have been using lately along with the soundside profiles...

QR-1st 09oc i5 BST (QuickRod Crunch)
    QR-1st 11oc i5 BST (QuickRod Heavy Crunch)
    QR-1st 15oc i5 BST (QuickRod Lead)
    DS L-1 i5 POS-4.5 (Dirty Shirley Edge Of Breakup)
    DS L-2 i5 POS-4.5 (Dirty Shirley Crunch)
    DS H-4 i5 POS-4.5 (Dirty Shirley Heavy Crunch)
    DS H-7 i5 POS-4.5 (Dirty Shirley Lead)

I've owned/used the GT-3, GS-10, X3L, GT-6, GT-10, RP1000, GSP1101, HD500 and the Axe II. IMHO the KPA is as close to plug-n-play as you'll get with any of these. I think a lot depends on what kind of tone you are after. My favorite profiles are the soundside plexi, my Dirty Shirley and my QuickRod profiles. I don't like tweaking, all of the profiles that I use are pretty much untweaked, if I find myself wanting to tweak a profile I usually just go try a different profile.

As for the foot controller, I'm using the Ground Control Pro with two Mission expression pedals (Vol and Wah), it was really easy to setup and it works just fine, but it is a bit of a chore to program when a dedicated foot controller wouldn't require constant reprogramming, I will most likely pickup the Kemper foot controller when it is released.

Is the KPA perfect? No, but if you want to go digital it is IMHO by far the best solution available.

I have a couple of QSC K10's, they sound great for vocals but not so great with modelers and profilers. I'm currently using an EV ELX112P or a pair of ELX112 passive cabs powered by a QSC GX5, to me the ELX series is much better than the K10 for guitar.

I've been wondering how the DSX10 compares to the ELX112P. The only problem I have with the ELX is that the dispersion is not the best, it really makes a difference how you position the speaker where you stand. I'd really like to get a CLR but the price is holding me back.

Interesting, I voted Bluesrock and Hardrock but I totally expected Metal to be the #1 because it 'seems like' most demos and profiles are based on Metal.

This is an interesting question, I've wondered the same thing. I think it would be nice if a Kemper rep could chime in. What happens when you use the switch on the KPA instead of simply removing the power? For me, it would be more convenient to remove the power instead of turning the KPA off and waiting for the count down to complete before turning off the power to my rack that houses the KPA. It's really not a big deal to wait, but it would be nice to know if there are any possible problems caused by simply removing the power instead of waiting for the count down.

WS - I'm at version 2.0.1, I'm pretty sure I've made profiles with this version so I'm not too sure it's a firmware issue.

nightlight - I've never had to do that, it would automatically keep all of the settings from the profile that I had selected when I went into profile mode.

Thanks guys, I'll try again today, maybe I just hit the wrong button last night, who knows...

I'm calling this a quirk but maybe it's just me being stupid. I seem to remember, if I select a rig, then go into profile mode, when I make a profile it will have all of the effects and information (speaker info, mic info, etc.) of the rig that I first called up. But tonight I made a bunch of profiles and they did not have any of the effects or rig info from the original rig. I tried it a couple of times but the new profile always came up with no effects and all of the info was blank. I wonder, did this happen with the last firmware that I loaded (which is not the latest), or am I just totally confused. Either way, it is a real bummer having to copy and paste all of the effects and enter all of the info into every single new profile that I made tonight. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Wow, nice demo, very well done. I'm not really into metal but I'll play...

1) G12M-65 (Creamback)
    2) G12H-30
    3) G12-50GL (Lynchback)
    4) V30
    5) G12T-75

It was more easy for me to choose the ones I don't like so much, but I had to listen to the first three a bunch of times to decide. I've been using the Scumback M75 for a while now and I've really been wanting to try out that Creamback lately, it sound fantastic in your demo!