Posts by JEL

Apologies if I offended you Hadley regarding your profiles. You have talked negatively about stock profiles, among various other user profiles...but when somebody doesn't like yours...well sorry. I still think they are bad. -- it also strikes me rather odd that your new thread was "sanctioned by CK".....considering you are in fact listed on Fractal's website as an artist of theirs.

Did you also start a thread like this on their page?

Hadley Hockensmith
    L.A. Studio Guitarist, Neil Diamond Band
    "I love my Axe-FX… So much fidelity, amp goodness & processing power under one roof. The ‘sonic bar’ has been totally recalibrated by Fractal Audio!"

Good luck with your new thread.

Stay frosty,
    JEL

Hey guys......

I really think this is just Hadley stirring the pot again. Over on 'The Gear Page' he 1st wrote about a certain "fizz" coming from the Kemper gain/distortion -- well after everyone basically said Hadley was full of sh*t about his findings, Hadley then edited out the part about the "fizz" :P This review is NO different.

....and now after reading this additional review of "two weeks" I don't really agree with any of his points! And it seems most people share this same "opposite" opinion from Hadleys! Can we honestly be so radically different about our tastes in tone and the Kemper? I think CK's response was dead on to all of his bullet points which are just designed to stir the pot.

Hadley remains on the artist page on the Fractal website! - With that fact alone you can make your own conclusions about his thoughts on the Kemper. His is trying to play both sides and it just isn't working.

- and apologies in advance for this opinion about Hadley's tone -- I downloaded his profiles and for me, well.....it was honestly one of the worst user profiles I have heard. If this is the typical sound he plays with, I'm not sure his is using the Kemper correctly. Perhaps all of this is leading to his sales pitch of the infamous HC. Who knows?

Hadley - your positive contributions are appreciated.....but after this last "two week update", I for one can't take anything you say seriously.

I look forward to hearing clips from you and your perception of good tone.

Stay frosty,
    JEL

Hey Armin --- really bro? Selling your profiles????

Come on now man--- get into the spirit of what makes the Kemper so great.......sharing amazing profiles from killer amps with your Kemper family worldwide!

SHARING IS CARING :)

I sincerely do appreciate and respect your entrepreneurial spirit to make a few bucks, but what is stopping someone from buying them.....

- then you simply change the name (maybe slightly change a parameter) and re-post them for FREE on the Rig Exchange.

To each his own, you can obviously do whatever you need to do - but I hope this trend doesn't grow.

Not to mention, your profit making ability is so small when they are easily re-shared after purchase.

Just wanted to get your honest feedback. It's all good.

Stay frosty,
    JEL

Ok....WTF??!!!!! This profile REALLY surprised me. LOVE IT man.

I don't know what a TSE X50 is, but with some minor tweaks I have this KILLIN'!!!!

Hey bro - thanks for the Shiva profiles. One of my old amps that I had a tough time parting with.....until now!!!!!

Man the Kemper is really the cure for tube amp GAS!!!!!!

New boutique amps coming in every day!!!!

Love it

Although I think profiling a modeler is undesirable vs. a real tube amp....there are some good tones in here. And I'm not sure why....but the PROFILES of the Axe2 sound better than the actual Axe2 I played last weekend. Something is definitely happening inside that Kemper!!! The profiles don't sound as hi-fi to me as when played through the Kemper.

Thanks for putting all of these together. It's great to know that whatever the AxeFx (or any other modeler) can create, it can be capture easily.

With a bit of trial and error......here is how you do it!!!!! VERY COOL -----

1. Hit the SYSTEM button
    2. Look in the bottom left of display, there is "Quick Function" text --- but here is the catch:
    3. Now use the 2nd knob (which is actually right under the "Quick Function" text in the display.
    4. Turn this knob until you hit it read "SNAPSHOT BROWSER". You will also see "Version Information", which is the default and "Midi Settings". Stop at "SNAPSHOT BROWSER".
    5. You are now done. The Quick Button now brings up your Snapshot Menu!

This just saved me A LOT OF TIME in the studio.

I hope it works for everyone....

Stay frosty,
    JEL

Thanks for feedback, I would love to know how to use the "QUICK" button to browse the Snapshots.

I have tried to assign this - but have been unsuccessful. Digital idiot here ?(

Can someone please walk me through exactly how to assign the QUICK button to browse the Snapshots?

HUGE help here!

Thanks,
    JEL

Is there an easy way to do this?

With all of the amazing profiles - I have just quite the combination of "snapshots" that are going to be my main tones.

However, to browse the Snapshots I have to push "RIG" first and then "Browse Snapshots".

...then I select a snapshot and load --- but the problem is that in order to get to another snapshot you have to repeat this process again...

Push Rig, hit Browse Snapshots, repeat....etc.

Is there any easy way to get "Browse Snapshots" on the main AMP screen on the Browser??? It looks like there is an empty softkey next to "Store Snapshot".

Any advice out there?

Thanks!!
    JEL

My clipping was definitely due to overloading either the INPUT (turning red) or the Master (turning red).

The Sense can take care of the light clipping on the input....

And manage the three volumes (amp, cab and master) can tame the Master light clipping red.

I only get that buzziness/rattle/farting out - when it clips into the red.

I have no fuzz or buzz, or whatever....unless it's red.

I spent considerable time with both units over this past weekend (The Kemper and Axe FX II). I will be posting a more detailed review later on all of the various forums.

As a pro player I will purchase and use any unit (or units) that sound the best for me. I'm definitely not emotionally tied to either unit. Gear is just gear to me. I have been through more boutique amps than I can count and I have decided to make the leap into the digital realm. I haven't sold off any of my tube amps either (they aren't going anywhere just yet). I also have access to some of best studios in the mid Atlantic and achieving the best tone is always the goal. Tone is paramount.

Both units have strengths and weaknesses for sure and I'm quite confident both products will improve in the future. As I said, a deeper review is coming.

But to be honest, playing a Kemper 1st spoiled me quite a bit. It's like going from a real tube amp, to something trying to sound like a tube amp.

I personally can't see anyone who plays a Kemper 1st - then changing their mind and then going to an Axe FX. It's likely not going to happen in my opinion. I can see the opposite scenario happening, however.

To me - The Kemper sounds more organic, more tube-like, and tracks more like a real tube amp than the Axe FX. The Axe FX has an inherent "hi fi" quality about it across all patches. It is simply in the Axe FX DNA. It is neither bad, nor good....it is just there, however. And it is noticeable. The Axe FX is very hi fi and modern sounding. Some players may prefer this sound. But for a tube purist, the Kemper is going to win every time if comparing the two boxes in regards to real tube tone.

On the contrary, there is nothing hi fi about the Kemper. It comes as close to real tube tone of any modeler I have personally heard, played, or recorded with.

The strengths of the Axe FX : It has deeper and more complicated effects and currently a better live integration. That's really the only advantage I can see over the Kemper. And from what I hear, the dedicated foot switch is coming and in terms of effects, the Kemper has fantastic effects from what I have heard and used. And once again - from what I hear more effects are coming as well - and they are totally easy to program and very practical.

I also think that 95% of most pro guitar players will use and record with basic effects anyway - basic reverb, some delay and chorus. Anything beyond that can become overkill very quickly when tracking and can color things too much. Just listen to any music you hear on radio, TV, or film (very limited guitar effect processing). So I won't personally miss having my guitar sound like a spaceship. Although it is nice to have an extensive array of effects at your disposal, I can't see most of them being very practical.

I also found the Axe FX to be surprisingly and disappointingly noisy - and I'm not talking about the fan. I personally thought a lot of the patches and effects were noisy and the interface is definitely not easy to manage. But past all of that - what it really comes down to is TONE. And The Kemper has the better sounding box right now in my opinion. Maybe this will change in the future.

I read something about "How does it feel under the fingers"? After playing them both, honestly....anyone who notices a difference is just looking for a fight. They are both excellent and they felt the same to me. No issues here from either unit. They don't feel exactly like a tube amp, nor would I expect them to. But the difference is minimal.

People are talking about the Axe FX getting a version of profiling - I'm not sure this is going to change things much in regards to the underlying tone of the unit. It has this 'hi fi' thing going on and all of the sudden this new 'tone matching' is going to completely change what the unit sounds like?

Out of curiosity - I did some profiles of the Axe FX presets. Why? Because you can! :) I know this isn't recommended, but it copied the Axe FX to near perfection in minutes. Although profiling real tube amps is far superior, you can't dismiss just how powerful the Kemper really is! I mean, when you hear "profiling" for the 1st time it leaves you kinda speechless. Like did this really just happen???? Yes, it did. And then you profile tube amps! That crazy looking space toaster just cloned a $5,000 tube amp with incredible accuracy! This leaves you kinda speechless at first and it will fool you when choosing between the original and the profile. And the tone is ultimately the difference between the two.

....and in regards to Axe FX's upcoming profiling? Well, I for one hope it works great - because it took about 45 seconds to grab the tone from the Axe FX into the Kemper. So there is nothing from stopping this in the future either. If the Axe profiles something well, that's awesome. Just get an AXE FX and profile it with the Kemper. Done. And perhaps the AXE will be able to do the same thing to the Kemper. Obviously the AXE is playing catch up to the Kemper in regards to profiling. Who knows - maybe the AXE will actually do it better? But this a modeler that now wants to get into profiling. Where the Kemper is a profiler that does not want to become a modeler. Huge difference here.

And to me (at least for now) - the results show. By Kemper being the originators of profiling and taking the time to roll out this unit - they have the superior product in regards to delivering real tube amp tone. I'm not sure simply adding profiling is going to be the final answer to make the AXE FX sound as tube like & organic as the Kemper.

Both units deliver quality professional guitar tone and I don't think you can go wrong with either unit. But if you are a tube purist and tone freak like me, the Kemper is the clear choice in comparing the two.

We shall see what the future brings and I look forward to it.

Stay frosty,
    JEL

Wow. This is very interesting to me....

1. The Master Volume
    2. The Amp Volume
    3. The Cabinet Volume

NONE of these will affect the tone, and they ONLY affect the volume of profile.

That really should be in the manual somewhere.

On to these SENSE inputs for "clean" and "distortion". Can somebody please give an explanation of what these really are? And how they are to be used to the get the most out of the Kemper?

I have heard nobody really touches the "distortion", if this is the case....not sure why it's there.

And the Clean sense is to be used for clean tones, yet some people always keep it at "0" :?:

Any help on SENSE would be a huge benefit to everyone.

Thanks again!
    JEL

Ok so here is what is definitely confirmed:

1. The Master Volume has no impact on the "tone", only the volume

2. The Amp Volume (bottom right corner), has no impact on the "tone", only the volume

Both of these are confirmed in the Kemper manuals as well.

However, there is nothing in any document that even talks about the 3. The Cabinet Volume. Various people seem to think that this also has no impact on the "tone", only volume. Can someone please confirm this?

So are you guys leaving your Amp Volume set to "0" and doing all of the actual volume adjustments via the Cabinet Volume?

If this is the case, then the Master Volume is also set globally to ??? in your experience to get best results live or in the studio?

Thanks again for your patience! :thumbup:

Stay frosty,
    JEL