Posts by suckamc

Michael Britt from the country band Lonestar just released his personal set of profiles for sale (and, frankly, for pretty cheap, compared to the other stuff out there). http://www.mbrittprofiles.com/

What's cool is that, right after he did the first batch (about a year ago), I got them from a mutual friend of ours. In the past year, I literally have used not one other profile other than the ones he made. When you play his profiles in a mix, you can tell they were done by a long-time Nashville pro w/both the recording skills and the right gear. When I play so many other commercial profiles, I just feel I'm might be getting the latter. I've rarely thought I was getting something so mix-ready.

Anyway, so a couple of diverse clips from this summer:

This was Matchless profiles only, I think.:
    https://soundcloud.com/markcuthbertson/iff

This was a session for a Texas country band. I used the ERT33 profiles, a 5150 profile, a Bletchley and...a Fender Deluxe is in there somewhere.
    http://soundcloud.com/e-357/turn-back-time

This was just a couple of weeks ago, demoing the Ronin prototype. It's just one of the ERT33's with my Rockett Blue Note in front.
    [YOUTUBE]GdJA4ffQj1o[/YOUTUBE]

Anyway, I've got some others I can post if you want. That's just stuff from the past couple of months. But like I said, these are all the profiles I use anymore, and with good reason, I think.

So the Kemper PA into a guitar cab sounds like A real guitar amp+cab, but not necessarily the one modeled? Cause I wouldn't expect it to sound like the modeled version... but I would need it to sound legitimately like AN amp. Like I said, I'm not THAT picky... I like doing in-ear gigs. But I gotta make the others happy, but nowadays I just use the Kemper so much that I'd love to have that continuity on each gig.

I need to talk to the American distributor about trying one. It's not like anyone in Dallas has them in stock. But that could definitely be my constant live rig if it's legit.

I used a QSC K12 on tons of gigs. Maybe the K12 isn't what you're talking about, but it's close to $1,000, so... FWIW, the gigs were done on the Axe 1 and Kemper (never gigged the Axe 2 when I had it... which wasn't that long).

What I know is that there were many complaints from more than a few band mates in at least 3 different bands at the time (I work with a lot of bands...kind of a whore, I guess :) ) according to which they just didn't like the sound ONSTAGE compared to when I used a real amp, nor when other guitarists would play in those bands. It is not a case of being able to dial in tones for the mix... a wedge just doesn't sound like an amp onstage, and an amp-sound is what most of them wanted. As far as I know (and would have every reason to believe), there were no discussions about it between members of different bands, such that it was an issue of "group think." MAYBE their (and my, earlier) way of saying it was imprecise, and they could HEAR me, technically (something I'm sure was the case... I'm sure I was AUDIBLE to them), but they were not pleased with the sound of more PA gear vs the sound of an amp onstage. FWIW, I'm not the only one who has had this experience with gigging w/FRFR. Some bands don't want the RECORDED/MIXED sound onstage... the sound of the amp mediated by the mic and by monitors. That's what FRFR gives you. I record enough that it's no big bother to me, though having an amp is less boring, live, for me (unless it's an in-ears gig, which are the only places I use my Kemper, live).

But yes, different strokes. If you prefer or don't mind the sound of PA gear onstage, go for it. It certainly is a convenient solution (and you get to hear, more accurately, what the audience is hearing). It is a DIFFERENT sound than an amp onstage. I, for one, would love to know how closely the Kemper PA through a guitar cab sounds like an amp sitting next to you. That would make my employers happy, while letting my use my Kemper on those particular gigs. As it is, I currently only use it on two TV gigs, one normal band that uses in-ears, one church band that's all in-ears, and dang near every recording I do these days (like this one, last night, for a guitar maker's website https://soundcloud.com/123suckamc/lentz-strat-clip-1-wav). I've been a modeling junky since the 11r came out, and the Kemper is my favorite, by far. It's brilliant, and I'd love to use it on EVERYTHING, but some (MULTIPLE) bands want the sound of a real amp onstage. It's not me, nor my inexperience. They just want THAT sound. I have to give it to them or play my PA equipment in my room.

FRFR's sound awfully boring to me. I don't enjoy playing through a piece of PA equipment. But more importantly, many bands MISS the sound of a guitar amp onstage. An FRFR is nowhere CLOSE to the same sound across the stage... it doesn't "thump" and it doesn't spread as well.

But I don't know if the Kemper power amp is the way to go. Haven't tried it.

Hey, sorry for the thread resurrection, but where would I get one of those power cables w/two outs?