Posts by Songwritersoul

My motto as a songwriter is "say something worth hearing". It's refreshing to hear a band with well crafted songs that actually has something to say that IS worth hearing...not just the songs, but the message in them. Nice work.
    I'm about 3/4 the way through my first album and using the KPA for all electric guitars so it's encouraging to hear a very "pro" sounding song with the KPA being used.

Nice job,
    Steve

Um, I think I will continue to value the opinion of a legendary producer/engineer like Michael Wagener, with a long list of hit albums under his belt, over some guy who shows up to an internet forum, claims he makes $350k/month gambling, yet considers the KPA "expensive"; claims he has a 162 IQ and claims his phone app makes the KPA a dinosaur.

If the app really sounds as good or better than the KPA, let's hear it!
    If the OP can't/won't back up his outlandish claim with tracks from his app, then his post can safely be considered just the ramblings
    of an internet troll looking for attention.
    It's easy to make outlandish claims if we don't have to back them up. I can time travel and bench press 2,400 lbs. I don't have to prove it to you because I just said I can so it's true....right? :)

I have two dinosaurs which will not be going extinct in my studio anytime soon.

Thanks Kemper for a killer product at a fair price.

Steve

I'm in the middle of recording an album and am doing all the electric guitars using two KPA's.
    One thing I was pleased to find out about the MW Rok Pak is that most of the profiles sound excellent when stacked/layered.
    I don't know if this is true or not, but it sounds as if he used the same mics and mic distance/angle for most of the profiles because the phase relationship
    is excellent for most profiles when used with other ones from the Rok Pak. I haven't found this to be true with many other profile packs.

For those of you creating new profile paks, I think it'd be a great idea if you would use the same mics, mic combinations and placement for all or most of your profiles so they all play nicely together.

One other commercial profile I have that sounds excellent on it's own and sounds awesome with the MW profiles is Till's Chimera profiles. Maybe the same mics and placement. I don't know, but they sound great with most of the Rok Pak profiles and no weird phase issues.

Consistency on mics and placement is something I will be asking about in the future for any profile packs I purchase.

...just thought I'd share my experience,
    Steve

I love this thing, but I seem to stumble from time to time over the seemingly simplest of problems.
    Can someone tell me how the hell I just adjust the mix ratio of a chorus pedal and set specific delay times for delays?
    When I go in to edit a chorus effect, I don't even see a parameter for mix ratio.
    When I go in to edit a delay, I see no parameter for delay time.

I can usually breeze through this kind of stuff even on new gear, but I'm wondering if I may be slightly retarded now. :)

thanks,
    Steve

The lines between want and need are pretty blurred with this stuff. For me, it would make working with the KPA much more pleasant because ergonomically, it's much more comfortable for me to use a mouse at the computer to make changes than to work off of the KPA in the rack-especially when I have a guitar in my lap. It would also allow me to make changes while keeping my ears in a proper monitoring position. I'll get by fine without it, but it would be nice.

Thanks. Yes, I'm talking about double tracking on each side. I have two kempers so I'll be tracking to each side with one pass and different amps.
    Just thought it'd be cool to hear from a legend on how he approaches gain settings for stacking high gain tracks.

cheers,
    Steve

I preordered the rokpak and although some have argued that it's overpriced, I feel it's worth every penny. Ok, moving along...

I'm getting ready to begin tracking guitars for my first full album and will be using the RokPak profiles heavily if not exclusively.
    The one thing I was a bit surprised about with the profiles is the amount of gain that some of them are set at. I know that when tracking and stacking high gain guitar tracks, one doesn't want to use a ton of gain on each track that's going to be doubled etc. Many of the higher gain RokPak profiles sound like they're set more for jamming than for "push record and start tracking. I'm asking if MW will chime in here and maybe offer his 2 cents on how much gain to dial in when stacking double tracked guitars etc. I think I have a pretty good feel for this, but would love to hear from the man himself and if he has a suggested methodology for getting great results.
    MW, thanks again for the great profiles and could you spare a moment to share some insight on this for me?

thanks,
    Steve

Really love the guitar work and overall production is great. The video looks really well put together also and is synced up well with the music.
    Honestly, whenever I hear this kind of music, being a songwriter myself, I end up disappointed because I hear some really cool music and I instantly start hearing possible melodies in my head of what would sound cool with it, then when the vocals start, it's just screaming continuously throughout the entire song. While the music is doing all of these changes, the vocals sound like they have no more energy in the choruses than they do in the verses because it starts with screaming and there's really nowhere to go from there vocally.
    Keep in mind, I'm a 45 year old songwriter who grew up on VH, Queensryche, Dio, Scorpions, Nirvana, STP etc. I'm used to hearing melody.
    For this genre, I'm sure it's probably a kick ass song. I just can't understand a word that is being said and have no idea what it's about so it's hard to relate to it without busting out the lyrics and reading them. As cool as the song is, I think it could be twice as good if something melodic was done vocally during the verses and save the screaming for choruses or for certain words in the choruses.
    Just my two cents from a middle aged nobody songwriter. :)

Thanks for sharing and I hope I didn't offend you.

Steve

Very cool. With the lead melody, it seems to be flirting dangerously close to Hotel California, but it's a lot different in terms of overall sound. I like the vibe of it a lot.

Just thought of a way that I have used both units together that worked out cool.
    At the end of a guitar solo, the guitar effects change pretty drastically for an instrumental section and rather than set up all the parameter changes and pedal control etc, I just recorded the solo on two different tracks-each one with completely different effects settings. This way, I could just bring in each part when needed within pro tools and the transition is seamless. No worries about hitting the pedal at the right time or any of that. Maybe I'm just lazy. :)

I have two Kemper racks. One powered and one not. My plan was to track two different amps/cabs at the same time using my MW1 Studio tool to split the signal. Problem is, I have found pretty major phasing issues with this idea. I have some cool software to realign everything, but it doesn't do it in real time so I can't check out which amp combos I like until tracking, editing and listening. I also have a hardware phase alignment tool, but both amps still end up with a little phase weirdness after adjustment.
    I'm about to start tracking guitars for my album and haven't decided on what I'm going to do yet. As is right now, it seems easier to just double track the same amp instead of trying to use different amps and deal with phase issues.
    Only other use I could see for having two would be to have a back up if I were a touring professional etc.

cheers,
    Steve

I used 7 zip like I use all the time to unzip other files. They are unzipped and yes, they end in kipr.
    Here's another weird thing. I tried loading the profiles onto my formatted usb stick, then loading from there into rig manager....It worked! I have no idea why, but RM won't load them from my computer, but it will from the usb stick with identical files. Pretty strange.

I'm just glad I am getting to check out the profiles. A lot of great ones so far.

thanks,
    Steve