Posts by Songwritersoul

How well would you say it replicates everything about a good tube amp's sound and feel?

I own an AxefxII and feel that there are a few percentage points still missing, though it sounds excellent.

Just wondering if you feel like it's indistinguishable between a real tube amp.

Also, have you done any critical listening tests of tube amp tracks compared to KPA profiled tracks?

What did you discover?

I really don't care if the profile sound exactly the same as the original amp. I'm much more concerned if it's able to capture and replicate every aspect of the sound and feel of a tube amp to a degree that I can't tell a difference.

I'm going to post this at TGP too since this place is a bit of a ghost town.

thanks,

Steve

Just delivered ! I will let it get up to room temperature before I plug it in as it is absolutely freezing outside and the metal case of the kemper is just as cold ! Clips later :)

If you tune a humbucker guitar to drop d and do some chugga chugga riffing with some of the high gain amps and post the clips, I'll paypal you a buck. :D Like many others, I'm still waiting to hear some good higher gain clips of this thing before deciding to take the plunge. Have fun!!!

...in addition to proper mic placemente etc, some people may be running the signal through a high end, pro signal path and some may have an Mbox. That will absolutely make a difference in the quality of the profile unless I have completely misunderstood the process. I can't imagine that a royer and 57 combo through a Chandler pre wouldn't produce a better result than a Samson mic going into an Mbox etc.

...just a hunch.

...in the profile exchange forum, people would post a short, or long, clip of the profile they're posting so people can get an idea of it's sound. For those who already own the KPA, it might save them time if it's a sound they aren't interested in, and for those of us without one, it would continue to give us more info and help us decide if the KPA is something we want to buy.

We've heard some profiles that sound great and some not so great. When I finally get a KPA, it'd sure be a time saver to be able to quickly weed out all the profiles that I'm not interested in without having to dl the file, load it into the kpa and mess with it.

just a thought from an anxious non-owner,

I keep reading threads and listening to clips where people are profiling or wanting to profile the AxefxII.

I owned an Ultra and have owned an AxefxII since about the day it was released.

It sounds incredible for a modeler, but there ARE absolutely small, noticeable differences between a real tube amp and an AxefxII...at least when it comes to recording. I say this because I've done quite a bit of a/b comparisons on my own. ...not trying to get the Axefx to sound exactly like the tube amp, but more just listening to the overall sound and characteristics of each to determine if one sounds more "alive" and real. The Axe has some incredible tones, but when it comes to sounding dead on as alive and 3d as a tube amp, even it falls a few percentage points short. It's not huge, but if you're recording, you want the absolute highest quality you can get...right?

Moving on...so...I'm confused as to why some guys are seemingly more or as interested in profiling another modeler than trying to get their hands on some incredible tube amps. A profile of a model is basically 2 generations of digital emulation stacked on top of eachother. Modeling has come a long way, but it's not to the point yet where this kind of methodology will result in profiles that sound dead on like the real thing, tubes glowing and volume cranked.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just think the end results will be more real, believeable and enjoyable if the profiles are of actual well-mic'd tube amps and not from other modelers.

Am I the only one thinking this?

cheers,

Steve

I should have specified. Yes, I mean during the refining process. Another thing that seems like it would come into play during the refining process is the thickness or type of pick used. When strumming on chords, we all know that different thicknesses of picks give a slightly different sound/attack etc so I'm wondering if pick choice affects the profile outcome as well.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

thanks,

Steve

When playing in front of a fairly loud amp, there's a certain amount of the amp going back into the pickup. I've often wondered if this is one of the areas where modelers have fallen a bit short.

So, when you're profiling an amp, does it make a difference if your guitar's pickups are facing the cab or not?

thanks,

Steve