Posts by Radley

I also own both units 8o , and am hoping that Cliff will include something that 'listens & builds a cab' without using any static IRs. I would agree that the Kemper method of duplicating a cab is a bit more natural and easier on the ears than IRs, and that this is the biggest sonic difference I currently hear between the two platforms. On the other hand, the AFX II sounds & feels beefier for me in the lower end...

I would like to see all of the Choruses, Flangers and Phasers *totally stop* all modulation when the speed is set to zero (there is still some modulation at zero currently). This way, these effects could be used for 'stereophonic thickening' of the sound (without adding modulation), much like a very short stereo delay. I use this technique with my Boss processors to very fat stereophonic results! I would also love to see an adjustable predelay parameter for these effects... (provides more depth for certain sounds) 8o

I also felt the KPA distortion was not quite as smooth/seamless as the original tones. My OD presets are designed with smoothness in mind, and that's probably why I notice a bit of difference...

Did some profiles of some of my personal OD & SOLO patches on my favorite modelers - they did not turn out exactly like the originals (as the manual warned), but they were easily tweaked to sound as good or better than the originals. :rolleyes: The thing I noticed is a tendency for the Kemper profiling to add a bit of upper mids, while loosing a bit of the ultra lows, but it wasn't a huge thing to make up for. I feel the quality of onboard effects is very good, although it would be nice to have a broader selection. The Reverb in particular is quite good - very natural and full-sounding.

PS: I will not be posting my 'personal sound' profiles, but I may later post some 'all-around use' profiles to add to the ever-growing stockpile. :thumbup:

FWIW, I still get great sounds from my Boss GS-10 processors.... very old technology and slow processors, but still very capable of great sound - I believe this demonstrates the fact that the size of the processor is not as important as the effectiveness of the algorithms used.... in the end, it's all about getting the best sonics to the outputs.

I have what many might call a *strange* feature request: I would like to see a *DIRECT MIX* parameter added to the Amp block - sometimes just a bit of direct signal causes the Amp to sound/respond more authoritatively and solid. Don't knock it til you try it :o) (I can do this with some of my other modelers)

Armin - I believe the AFX II has improved considerably since you tried it, but I'm enjoying owning *both* right now 8o Did my first serious tweaking of the KPA today, and it was pretty easy to make it go in my preferred sonic direction :) Gotta wait for the wife to run errands before I can do any serious profiling however - too much noise! 8o

So do you use one of those Harmonic Convergers with your Axe-Fx racks? I thought the Harmonic Converger was done by now, that was the old PodXT days but it sounds like many fully grown men are still using them.

LOL! 8o I prefer my AFXs with the 'box that shall remain unnamed', but have never felt I couldn't get great tones without it - I just find it makes my programming job easier. The 'box that remaineth unnamed' was created for people like myself who actually *break out in hives* at the onset of fizz! 8o

Regarding the KPA, I probably should have said the *profiles* I have tried sound fizzy (haven't tried that many yet).

Armin - That seems to be the beauty of the process. We can use any additional tone shaping while profiling and it becomes part of the profile, including pre-eq :thumbup: Regarding fizz, I have always felt most guitar amps sounded too fizzy for distortion until the master volume was cranked high (unless additional processing was involved). Ironically, I haven't been able to get serious with my KPA yet because it arrived during our concerts in Hawaii, and as soon as I got home I had to build many of 'the boxes that must remain unnamed' 8o