Posts by Desiato

The disadvantage of not having any stage volume is that the harmonics and string interaction suffer for the lead guitarist. I believe that it is absolutely necessary for good lead tone to have a guitar monitor cab pointing at the guitarist. As the rhythm guitarist, I get enough action from the sound reflected back onto stage. Not so for the lead player IME...

Great post!

I play lead in our band, and I agree I have to be able to hear myself very good onstage. I have to be able to adjust my volume, too, without having it change the level that gets sent to the FOH. A good FRFR wedge is perfect for this, because I have the speaker pointed directly and my head and away from the audience. The drummer can hear enough from my wedge so he knows what I'm doing (combined with my guitar in his monitor mix). I get to hear all of my guitar that I want, and nobody else hears any more than they want. It's a perfect solution to a very old live gigging problem.

Cheers for your response and advice

As far as I know, you can link the monitor (out) volume to the master knob (but not the direct out)... Also, you can turn monitor cab emulation off (not sure about direct) - also would free up the direct out for D.I.'ing

Thanks.

You make good points on the direct/monitor out question. I was thinking more about tonal differences, but as you point out there are other functions involved.

I always go FRFR so the cab emulations are always on for my rig.

That's cool, it looks nifty! What speaker does it have and what is your opinion of it as a whole unit ? (is it FRFR also?)

Why do you run it from the direct out as opposed to the 'Monitor Out' ?

Cheers

The CLR is a FRFR speaker. Here's the link to it http://shop.atomicamps.com/product_p/aclr-aw-n.htm I don't know which speaker it has, and Atomic is pretty tight lipped about it IIRC.

I like the unit quite a bit. Mine has the neo magnet, so that increases the price a bit, but it's much lighter. It's been a dream to play through.

To your other question, I guess I would respond with the question, "why run it from the monitor out instead of the direct out?" I don't know that there's an advantage to one over the other.

How are you holding the rack to not fall or move ?

The CLR wedge has a tilted angle on the top/front side (when using it as a monitor, pictured) that works perfectly to lean the rack against. It faces directly up at me, so it's at an ideal viewing angle while practicing or gigging. The rack case exterior is made of molded rough plastic that grips the floor enough to keep it from sliding.

What I really like about these profiles is that I don't have to eq out the bass frequencies as with many other profiles. For someone who is used to a guitar sound that sounds good on its own, these might sound "thin" - as soon as you play them in context, they are killer. I feel tempted to buy the complete pack now that I have had a chance to test the free profiles provided by KPA.

THIS.

These profiles were made by a studio guy, so they are designed to sit well in a mix and sound huge in that context. IMO they do exactly this, and I think that's great. It's totally done with the gigging or recording musician in mind.

I love so many of these Wagener profiles. I've never liked so many profiles from anyone's profile pack before. There are usually a couple that I will like from each pack, but the rest are just meh. Not here. I really like almost all of them..

I've owned several of the amps in this collection, and he really nailed them. The EG5, Mamba (Framus Cobra), 59 Randy Rhodes (several vintage Marshalls), Mandarin (Orange Rockerverb), and the XTC module are my favorites.

Why direct from the CLR? Why not direct from the Kemper?

It's exactly the same signal either way, but just more convenient to tap into the XLR out on the monitor than to try to connect to the back of the Kemper rack inside a dark rack case.

The other aspect to this is that it seems much harder to generate the same natural harmonic feedback with a FRFR monitor like the CLR than a guitar cabinet. Not only does my CLR appear resistant to feedback but the overtones are often shrill, odd sounding screeches rather than the usual harmonic intervals which come out easily with a guitar cabinet. While I don't often need this kind of guitar/cabinet interaction, I miss it when I do.

Like burningyen said, with volume there's no trouble getting the feedback. If you are getting unwanted highs in the feedback you perhaps can EQ filter them out.

When I had my first Kemper toaster I was still running through a tube power amp and cab. I wanted to feel and hear the 'amp in the roomb' effect. And I did, and it sounded great. But I learned the sad reality that my tone through the PA was nowhere near what I heard on stage. In the end, what the audience hears is most important, and no soundguy can mic a cab right it seems. Not even me :)

I now go through a CLR wedge aimed at my head like a monitor (i.e. zero stage volume from the crowd perspective). I run direct from the CLR to the board. I have the best tones ever going to the PA now.

I love my compact rig! No back line - everything is right in front of me when I play. The top angle on the CLR wedge is perfect for leaning the rack against. It puts the rack at the perfect angle, looking right at me while I play. The Uno4Kemper chip in the FCB1010 gives me everything I need from a foot controller, and it fits right up next to the CLR for a very small footprint while giving complete access to all the FCB's switches.

This is the best gigging setup I have ever had. I can't imagine needing anything else.

[Blocked Image: https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7799/18206854850_18cc289b9f_z.jpg]

You´re welcome!

I´m trying to list some pros and cons I´ve noticed after half a week of playing and tweaking (including a comparison --> subjective as hell!! :P ). Sadly I won´t be able to do much with the Axe Fx this week :( (Finals in Analysis :P )

Pros Cons
    Axe Fx
    • very direct, powerfull and dynamic singal
    • very easy to tweak (editor on your PC)
    • effects sound really great
    • signal LEDs on the front are really informative
    • tonematch is really good
    • very heavy
    • fans are a little noisy
    • interface on the unit itself is complicated
    • allthough there is an editor, editing presets and stuff can be complicated
    • the price in europe!!!!
    • sound changes with every firmare update
    Kemper
    • homogenious sound
    • knobs on the unit itself are nice to turn and there is plenty of them :)
    • more user friendly interface (on the unit itself)
    • very light
    • profiling is outstanding, especially if you put some work in it
    • tweaking is difficult (physically)
    • no editor !!!
    • hard times getting the tone you want with factory profiles
    • booting time
    • effects sometimes tend to sound a bit dull
    • prescribed possition for the delay and reverb effect slot
    • not exactly very versatile

so.. that are the main aspects I noticed. Remember.. this is my opinion and I don´t want to start a war :)

Great analysis. Thanks for posting.

One big difference you'll notice on this forum, versus TGP or the Fractal Forum, is that we are all about what works for the individual. Generally you won't find any wars here. Everyone's ears are different, and everyone's needs are different. That's why having great choices is awesome.

Of course, these are proud KPA owners here, and many of us (me included) love to sing the praises of the Kemper's great amp tones. For the most part, we think the KPA does amp tones better, and that's why we have chosen the Kemper (often after having played both). But whatever works best for you is the right choice, and we'll all be glad for you.