Posts by audioholic

I personally think modellers like the axe try to "fix" and make perfect the high gain stuff to much that it ends up being too smooth and unnatural. I have always had a problem with high gain patches in modellers until now. I think sometimes if we use moddelers too much, we forget what the real amps sound like, or should sound like. Moddelleritis. Which is why the kemper has some people who generally don't like moddellers, really interested in the kemper.

Besides if you want to smooth out a distortion, aim your mic more off axis...

but i agree that in general for most applications the gain knob can add unpleasantries and certainly not as functional as other modellers, but then again the kemper isn't really a moddeler, its approach is much different.

The gain works just fine for me when adding to an already heavy distorted track. Where the gain doesn't work as well for me is for clean and light brakeup. Sounds more solid state. But that's why at this point it's best to take several profiles at different gain staging rather then expecting a single snapshot will represent the amp in all its range. When taking a few profiles it will much more accurately represent the amp. I try not to adjust the gain to far either way.

Hey Lance - I checked out your modified patch of my profile and it sounds very nice indeed - good job! At the lower gain settings it has kinda of a tweed vibe ^^ Do you feel I would have gotten a better profile if I had used less gain? (it was pretty high!)

for me, specially with a higher output pickup, was pretty high into mushy territory, so I had to back off the gain considerably to clear it up. but I didn't try it with a lower output pickup. might be cool to profile it with lower gain. plus profiling is fun!

Mic position mic choice amp settings choice. We need to learn to record well before we can expect our profiles to sound well. I like some too end but not too much. Tills stud is the perfect balance to me with slight adjustments for different guitars

The Kemper is the only moddeller I have ever heard that replicate the top end so well.

In the browser there is a delete profile button Hit delete then confirm.

As far as too much top end. Yup, I personally don't like overly bright ice picky amps. Some fizz and sizzle is ok for me as long as its not grating. I find the presence knowlb really able to kill high end frequencies pretty well. But if an amp is profiled too bright you are just going into repair mode. Ad like I said I prefer slightly on the darker side too because after I do all mixing it's easier to add in context.

Certain guitars will make the difference to. An amp dialed in an profiled for a darker les Paul may sound soo bright for a tele. That is why I have favorite patches that work with different guitars and if there is no hope I just delete the profile or pair it with a darker cab. Or the opposite if a patch is too dark

get kemper and then profile your amp, THEN sell :)

Can;t say what its like to play live with kemper, a few others can perhaps, but the cab and sound out of the kemper into my studio monitors is stellar to my liking...

I have always liked a good amp and cab pushing air live though, but have done the moddeler thing before to varying degrees of satisfaction..

No man thanks for posting. I really enjoyed it. I think some are talking about ethically in general o the capabilities of the product. And like I said. Cliff was the first to clone Kemper and post his file ;)

Kpa certainly is a work in progress it seems For me personally I am ok with putting up with slight annoyances and not a fully realized product cause for me and what I am using it for. It is working great. I can see how it isn't ready yet for some people and their needs. And that is a personal choice. I am glad it came to market when it dd. perfect time for me personally. But some valid concerns. I am with growing with Kemper at this point. Others may not be in that position

While I appreciate the effort, I don't really see the full point of modeling a modeler. Especially when, in my opinion, the KPA sounds better than what it is being asked to model in this case.

Yeah right now I think it would only benifit fractal to be able to clone the Kemper if it cannot profile an amp yet. The presets only came alive to me when using different cabs within Kemper. I have more then enough great sounding profiles to really be jonsen for anythi g else. Yet alas I keep downloading new user profiles. ;)

Well cliff himself cloned a Kemper sound to demonstrate his upcoming feature so if cliff is doing it then well. But I agree def gets in fishy territory. Though each unit will still do different things. Only untill I change To tills cabs did I like any of these.

Likewise when cliff demonstrated his unit cloning a Kemper sound all of the axe users said it sounded better etc but clearly cliff is not against taking sounds from Kemper himself. Right or wrong. I can see it more wrong for a manufacturer to do it then an end user Either way I really don't care all that much for me. Won't influence which unit I use yet

Its interesting hearing the Axe II. Most of the patches, if they are truly representative of what I would get with the Axe II, left a good bit to be desired. Very flat and 2d. Adding Till's cabs to a few really made them open up and sound much bigger and better. Still not as good as some of the kemper Patches I have. overall really helping me know I made the right choice for me..

those profils are fractal factory presets
    it means that it is a good base for tweaking and trying differents cabs.
    nobody will know for you

Yeah I had the Axe STandard. There were some patches that were ok, and just a few that were good, thats what I meant. I mean we have our vox's and stuff covered in the kemper stock, but just wondering if anyone thought any of the presets were outstanding and worth downloading is all. Opinion is fine. Personally I always felt fractals presets left some to be desired.