Posts by Garrincha

My vote would go to the RME. Simply the best drivers on the market, fast and stable. I can't comment on the converters of the fireface-series since I own an older Multiface. But I highly doubt that there is much of a difference in middle-class interfaces anyway. They all use the same AD/DA chips.

If you really want to buy in a class where converters do matter, be prepared to spent a lot of money for Apogee, Weis, Lynx and whatever.

Cool as this would be, I don't think it will ever happen.

I think CK hinted in at least an interview with a web portal that they are considering a "tonestack library" of certain popular amps.. Don't know how they will implement that but I would expect if they do it they do it right. That would mean interdependent tone controls.

I can see this being a problem with amps like Boogies - way too many variables there - but with your usual Fender/Vox/Marshall it should be possible.

Been playing a bit more with the Zodiac, tried the S. Mehl Greenback cab with it and suddenly I thought I knew that sound. It took me a day to remember where I know that sound from, but now I know:

It's the sound of early Pink Floyd with Syd Barret. I did some research and seemingly he played Selmer amps as well.

So if you are into early Floyd, change the cab of the (crunch) Zodiac to the Mehl Greenback, plug in your Strat and have a go. Important is a Treble Booster for that sound. I use a BSM RM (Rangemaster clone) in front of the Kemper, but you can use the built-in Treble Booster also.

I have many of the "clean" profiles clipping like hell with my Les Paul (with vintage style humbuckers). Other than the bassman and the Selmer I'm not really overwhelmed that much.

I love the Selmer Zodiac profiles. Somebody at Kemper seems to have heard the legend about Paul Kossoff using a Selmer for "Allright Now" since there are two profiles bearing the name "Paul K."

I believe it's the wrong amp though, it is said it was a Selmer "Treble and Bass 50". The Zodiac however sounds great and has a very unique attack to it that indeed resembles the sound of that song and the solo.

The S. Mehl modified blackface Bassman is also fantastic.

I believe the Selmer is a Zodiac Twin 50... Thos did some really nice cleans... If it's a Mark 1, you had to dime those to get any crunch. It should be a keeper!

I was hoping for a Treble and Bass 50, as it is said to be the amp Kossoff played on the "Allright Now" solo. I've never played one, but I was always curious if it really sounds like that song. I think I would pay for such a profile, just to try that out.

Same over here.

I have a beatiful 1983 Squier Tele that I loved with my old brownface Deluxe. Since I sold that amp and moved to Marshalls the Tele didn't get much playing time, since I never liked the sound of a Tele over a Marshall. Now with the Kemper and some great Fender profiles I started to play the Tele more and now I noticed I don't like the thin neck. So I'm now thinking about a Blackguard built, Musikraft parts and finished by mjt-finishes. I found that with all amps covered by my Kemper, I need a Tele urgently.

Without the Kemper I would still play my Les Paul over my Marshall but I wouldn't have the lust for a new Tele.

I have a Strat that I have built for sentimental reasons (very long story) and not so much for the sound or even playing it much. Now with some great Fender clean profiles in the Kemper I'm loving that guitar and notice for the first time what a fantastic guitar I've built there.

The Kemper really brings out the best of a guitar and makes me want to buy more guitars.

I'm not showing any private messages here (and yes, I have private messages turned on). Send me an email and I'll get those to you after work tonight. Sorry about the hassle.

Pete

When I tried to sent you a PM I got an error messager saying something like "user okstrat doesn't want to receive messages" or something similar.

I've now sent you an email from my office mail account.

Thanks a lot and sorry for all that confusion.

send me an email - [email protected] - one of the kind folks who donated had email from paypal bounce, I'm betting it was yours. It may have to wait until I get back home from work tomorrow evening, but I'll be sure and get the profiles to you.

BTW guys, this is just a preview - I'll have probably around a dozen or more of this amp when done. I was digging the first profiles so much I had to post. :)

Pete

It was probably me. I switched my email provider some time ago but couldn't bother paypal to update my adress yet. So I can sent money via paypal but can't receive emails. I sent you a PN (as I'm at the office now, which is an even different email address) with my working email address. Both addresses carry my real name so you can verify me being the donator. I donated for the 70s Marshall btw.

If you like the Slash AFD sounds make sure to check out the AFD100 profiles from sheguitarplayer, they are absolutely amazing and he dialed in the perfect Slash-tone. You've got to change the cab though. I'm away from my Kemper at the moment but I think I used one of And44's Marshall cabs from his first "classic" pack. Judging from that profile, Marshall got that amp right :)

There are another bunch of AFD profiles from another user - I've forgotten the name of him. Although they sound very good as well, he obviously went for a different sound ampwise so they don't sound much like G'n'R.

I believe beau_Mckee is talking about S/PDIF carrying both the dry signal and the processed signal, for reamping. Is this correct? :)
    An option which has already been discussed/requested and which would actually be COOL :D

Well, seems like I was really missing the obvious then. Thanks for clarification!

I might be missing the obvious here, but I don't understand what you want from the SPDIF that isn't already there? The SPDIF gives me the digital output of the Kemper without any AD/DA conversion and that's pretty much what I want from it. What else could a SPDIF do?

Why have TRS outs if they're unbalanced?
    That's a question, not a challenge btw

I don't know. That was the information, the OP got when he asked the Kemper support. I do think this is a bit exotic and confusing but there migzht be a reason we don't know. CK might jump in on that one.

itm wrote he bought an XLR/TRS cable, so – since the RME's input is TRS balanced – it seems he now uses the KPA's balanced output?

Yes. As far as I have understood the whole matter, the XLR-outs of the KPA are balanced, but the TRS-outs are not balanced. I don't know what kind of cables he used before but I guess he used stereo TRS cables. You can't use those to connect unbalanced to balanced TRS without loosing half of the signal.

It should work with a mono cable or with a stereo cable plugged in only halfway in the jack.

That makes perfect sense and I'm a bit embarrased myself for not thinking about that and giving you a hint. The RME has a balanced input with a stereo jack and the TRS of the Kemper is unbalanced. I guess it's the configuration of the jacks that made you loose half of the signal. I had that once with a Creamware A16 and got away with plugging in the jacks only halfway in when connecting unbalanced synthesizer outputs to the balanced input of the A16.

Again I'm embarrased a bit myself as I do know about it but didn't think of it when you described your problem.

Funny enough, the first time that I'm really enjoying my Marshall profiles is now that I found the cab with Greenbacks (I think it came with the Siggi Mehl profiles)... what a difference!

I was lucky enough to find out about that cab the first day I got my Kemper, because I updated the Firmware which contained the Siggi Mehl amps and those cabs. I was always a lover of vintage Greenbacks and even before I got the KPA I had done a bit of research and found those cabs mentioned in the "amp and cabs reference list". So I already knew where to look and changed every Marshall profile to this cab.

And it is still blowing me away because it is a perfect example of a great vintage Greenback cab. I was chasing this sound since I started to play guitar in the 80s. I did use a '68 plexi stack back then which my school owned but being a kid I didn't have any clou of what I had and of course I had to give the rig back when I left school. But this sound is just etched into my brain ;)

And you just can't get it from current production Marshalls. Although they are very good and Marshall really cares nowadays there is still something missing that you get from those old speakers and cabs.

I would go as far as to say: For me it's either Vintage, Metro/Scumbacks or Kemper. Nothing else gives me that sound.

1fastdog and Mitch:

I see another profile-sensation on the way! I'm really looking forward to that. Over at the LPF I was drooling over this very amps for years. I think I've heard many soundclips from him that sounded crazy good.