Posts by Gainfreak

Just wondering, with all the hype and wonderful reviews you read before buying your KPA, Who was disappointed with it when it first arrived? I doubt I'd get any response from those who returned it and moved on because they probably wouldn't be reading the forum. But for those of you who were disappointed at first and are now happy with the KPA, what did you have to do or change to turn your opinion around?

I was not so impressed with My Kemper when I first got it because I downloaded the rigs that I heard Killer recordings of and I Hated it.... . I quickly took a deep breath, realized that different tunings and guitars were used for the recording and I stopped the nonsense and started reading the manual. It took me 10 minutes after reading the manual to dial in MY SOUND and I've never looked back. I'm not the type of person who makes rash decisions. I stick with something for a LONG period of time until I figure if it will or won't work for me. That's my 0,02!

I have an original Tube screamer and when I use it, it sounds EXACTLY like your clip. The original Tube screamers hump up the mids quite a bit which is what I hear in your clip.
    HOWEVER...... With that said, I don't find the modeled TS to work like my original. What I mean is that I find the modeled version to be A LOT more sensitive in that a little goes a long way. In other words id have to put my Original TS on 10 in order to get the results that the Modeled version gets on like 1 1/2 or 2. This has just been my experience.

Also in my experience I think the TS model is one of the best if not the best I've heard and I've used them all ;)

Seriously? NO way I'd part with mine ?(

Me either. Id never part with mine and I totally hear and have experienced what he is saying. I already know for a fact that not all of the profiles do what he is talking about, and since I know that to be a fact, Id rather work with the thing and figure out what is causing it rather then to throw in the towel, but that's just me. We all have our reasons for the decisions that we make. I'm sure that moving on worked for him. It's all good :thumbup: 8)

It's not just you. I hear EXACTLY what you are talking about and noticed this very same thing at a recording session I was doing with the Kemper last night. My bass player and I were recording and for the life of us we could not figured out where this mystery noise was coming from. I then hit a few chords with the patch I was using and we heard it CLEAR as day. I switched to another patch and the problem was solved but there is MOST DEFINITELY something going on within certain patches. I even have this going on with a clean patch. I think that this might be related to having the clean sense and distortion sense to high. I'm going to have to experiment with it and see if I can get rid of it. With that said, even if I cant figure out the problem, the Kemper aint going anywhere :D . I just wont use the patches that are giving me a problem hahaha. But there is most definitely something going on. Ive heard it and so did my bass player and it was most definitely coming from the Kemper.

Thanks!

I used one of Ola's profiles, the Mr. Hector SM57 profile, if I'm not mistaken. That particular profile just sounds killer, definitely one of the best high-gain profiles out there. It's very percussive, and I love that about it. I'm using Cubase 5.1 for my DAW. The guitar is a Carvin V220 with Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickups. I boosted level slightly using a Maxon OD-9 and kept the noise under control with my ISP Decimator pedal. Drums are SD 2.0 with a drum mixer preset that I've been working on forever. The beer of choice for this song was Leffe Blonde.

Thanks for the info! I need to get my recording skills up to par.
    By the way, Leffe Blonde...OWNS!!

Thanks again!

~R~

Gainfreak ,

yeah I never heard that but now I believe it , Ive wondered how to get rid of the sharp high notes but still keep the clarity and I think the reflected off the wall sound helps that , you can definitly hear a ton of room sound on his tone , thanks for the tip thats the one thing the kemper has a hard time nailing , the room reflections.

I think the first album had a couple of Mic's up close and they had one out in a hall which adds to that ambient sound and then If I remember correctly the buncing off the walls was done on the second album. I think I read it on the gearsluts forum but I can't remember now!

you are definitely correct about the room sound. I read a few articles where they said that they faced his amp towards a wall and put Microphones in the room where the mic picked up the sound coming off of the wall. They did a lot of wacky things on that album. I'm not so sure that it helped or not though lol. I still think his best tone was captured live 8)

I'm glad you people enjoyed this one. I've got a handful of songs on this same EP that I'm about to completely re-do using the Kemper. It sounds better than the Marshall that I'd been micing up. It's like I've been chewing on rocks for all these years, and now I've got a box of Cracker Jacks.

That song is fantastic as is the tone and playing in my humble opinion! If you don't mind me asking, What profile did you use and what recording gear/software are you using?