Posts by mikeb

Full reset is basically the flash memory format. Kemper support can show you how to do it. I don't think the procedure is safe enough to throw around the forums so Kemper prefers you contact them directly for instructions and/or other fixes.

I play metal all day almost every day on my Kemper. With humbuckers.. sounds glorious. Basically you are totally wrong.
    I only use Amp profiles because the AxeFX ones sound poopy. I prefer Ola's Cabs with Marshall JMP type profiles. I also use a TC Electronic Booster/Line driver occasionally into the front of the KPA. I get the MOST brutal sounds ever.

It seems to me like you should spend more time with the Kemper.

By this I mean on my unit about 5-10secs after you flip the knob to 'ON' the SPDIF kicks in and you get guitar tone.. of some mysterious rig? Then after boot the normal profile you selected previously kicks in. ?( I always wondered what it is?

Just checked mine. Had it for almost a year.. purchased from sweetwater around March last year. I never checked the loop so I figured I should try. Plugged in a patch cable from direct out to return, activated input and it sounds perfect. No issues with this whiteface. :)

st wanted to say is that this general legend of "tube amps need to be cranked to sound good" is simply untrue. For a crunch or lead tone this might be a way to go, but for shimmering clean and percussive and tight hi gain rhythm tones it´s just contraproductive. Every single of those 1 Watt amps or power scaled amps that i heard so far failed completely at those those sounds. A power amps that operates at maximum softens the attack like a compressor.

You cannot generalize the way an amp reacts to the Master Volume. Marshall style amps rely on the power amp to produce distortion.. a lot of modern amps do not. I do not have much experience with low wattage tube amps but suffice to say they are designed to be cranked since they have such low wattage.. so you can get a taste of power amp break up. But like I said, depends on the amp and the tone your are going for.

For tight and percussive response with lots of transients and pick attack, and amp really needs headroom. Remember those Mesa Strategy 500 Beasts? This is what i´m talking about

Ah well, I am talking Marshalls.. lol. Anyways some amps get their tone from the preamp while others get a lot from both the preamp and the pushed power amp (and phase inverter). Just depends on which tone you are going for. :)

%. However, when the poweramp distortion kicks in, it sounds like shit in most cases. The reason why you have to use a minimum volume to make it sound good is the speakers, not the amp. Like your HIFI speakers at home but only in a higher scale, your guitar speakers need to be pushed up to a certain level to make the low frequencies come to life. At a certain level your speakers begin to produce distortion themselves which is something that you might like or not. It´s not necessary in order to record a good tone.

I did all my profile in my house. Yes, it was loud, but defitely not even near to what you would call "cranking" an amp.

We will have to agree to disagree. All my tube amps get cranked to get good tone. ?(

its got like 512Mb ram or somesuch, it was listed on this forum, so you can probably find it

hardly something I care about, the truth is that I can only deal with about 100 rigs anyways, I'll give you a 1000+ and after that is just unreasonable

Had mine since around Feb or March of 2012, first run white face that sweetwater got.. original firmware had a few issues but after a couple updates it was solid as a rock. Once I updated to a beta firmware and it corrupted my settings and I did have to do flash init but after that it has worked perfectly ever since. No locks, crashes, non-boots, red screens, etc. Perfect! I run mine on a good UPS too.

If you record your signal at 0dB you cannot make your signal louder later without clipping, for example using a compressor or other loudness shaping tools.
    So leaving a bit of headroom is always recommended.
    When recording in 24 bit or 32 bit floating point you can track hotter though than -10 dB.
    When I bounce Toontrack Superior Drummer I aim for -6 dB. Later on I can make use of my UAD compressors then.

Actually the way I understood it is that you can always remove volume(information) later by simply lowering the volume on the particular track (digitally). Then you can add effects as you need while adjusting track volume. The internal mixing is 64bit on most DAWs which allows as much 'headroom' as you like as long as you mix down to the proper levels. :?: :?:

If you clip your master bus, you've clipped the playback, and the audio if you render/save. Clipping will not occur in the internal engine, but once you leave the app (to a soundcard, etc) . . . it will clip.

[edit] reading more, seems that DAWs have infinite headroom 64bit float mixing. So basically I see no reason to leave headroom while tracking.

You want to use the monitor DAW outputs being the overall master volume. The theory is that lowering volume digitally removes data and therefore you should only adjust output volume at the analog stage, ie the signal sent to the speakers, not before. In fact my DAW system sounds MUCH better when I use this type of setup vs using the Kemper as the Master vol or even the internal mixer.

[edit] for recording SPDIF at max is the correct way.. what is this 'leave headroom' thing? you lower individual tracks with the mixer

mids are definitely up on a lot of my rigs, love it, makes it thick and punchy like a real amp

per's dirty little secret is that internally it only runs at 22.05 kHz. This means there is no frequency content above 11 kHz and everything above that is aliasing noise. If you have good hearing (i.e. young) you will probably pick up on this more readily.

It does sound better than many other products, especially at lower gains where the aforementioned limitation is not as critical." [quote from competitor product]

That is a bunch of lies from a fractal audio. The guy has no idea what he is talking about. Basically that is it. :thumbdown: