Posts by 1fastdog

Tweedy Drive!! Got a chance to play one, nice nice amp!! There's a wide range of switch mid tones, and other goodies? Are most touched on with the profiles? I found the one I played through to be very versatile and ran through Black, Brown, and Tweed flavors. Hope it's among the singles... 8o

Profiles being suitable for someone is dependant on how they are done. That includes the setting on the amp and the cabinet speakers, then the mic type and placement. I rely on and love the Kemper BECUASE of how it works. It's a profiler and not a modeler.

I prefer profiles done by folks familiar with the amp they are profiling. I also appreciate a range of profile doing of what the amp is "good" at doing. I'm also not usually happy if too much eq and boost and level things are done as it usually results in a less than great rig and not a profile whatsoever. There are rare exceptions. Put me in the camp that is fussy about individual amps having the goods or not. That's likely why modelers aren't of much use to me. I'm of the opinion that a great example of an amp you like doesn't need to be tweaked beyond what it takes to sound right in the proximity of the amp. Beyond what's needed prior to capturing the actual profile is where I can lose interest most often..

It's a case by case basis and subjective on a personal preference basis.

It's OK if the folks that offer commercial profiles do them the way they see fit. I like rigs AND profiles. They are not the same thing, IMO. I'd prefer to know what I'm buying.

I'd be happiest with good example of what they are selling demoed on their site, and be up front that you are offering profiles, rigs, or both.. They are NOT the same thing. That make it less likely we would be wasting each other's time or money.

I'm a buyer if the offered files are what I'm looking for. I'll be more likely to take a chance on an individual amp than a pack. It's just a matter of spending on what I can use and not what I'll end up needing to delete.

I have found it rare that I won't bother purchasing again from a commercial source If I'm convinced they just don't listen for what I do in an amp. So far, that's only been a one time occurrence..

I don't really chase for vintage guitars, I was informed about the '58 strat from the picture above (the first ones with 3-tone-sunburst) by a good friend. I went to the store, played the guitar and was really "shocked" about the tone and the quality of the guitar, the prize was pretty fair, too. Of course the guitar is from a serious background and everything was checked in detail.

Because I'm a professional player for a long time (not a "collector"...) I own a lot of great guitars, but this strat is just the best strat I ever played. I also play new guitars and several ones from the 70s, 80s and 90s, but this beauty is really a "killer". ;)

BTT: The Okko Diablo is one of the best overdrive-pedals around, I personally prefer the Fulltone OCD, the Diablo is "sweeter", but that's all a matter of taste. Anyway I'll keep it and I use it from time to time.

Thanks for the clarification. I have never been a collector either. I was really into playing late '50's Les Pauls from 1967- 1984 and was really fortunate to have quite a few and I played a similar circuit of other fellows who also had really nice '57-'60 LP. They were all different and some much better than others. I have sold a good deal of gear to collectors as I was around when the stuff was more reasonably priced or hiding und someone's be for years. I buy what I can use professionally.

One plus is selling to collectors who are also friends which leave the door open for renting something back for recording, but my bases are covered with the KPA as far as amps go. I still watch the Exchange and buy a profile or two when someone does a commercial offer of something a really like.. I suppose when one gets their guitar choice sorted, they look more at what's out there in amps. At least, it was that way for me.
    :thumbup:

Guenter! Nothing at all wrong with liking to make music with your tools of choice. I did the vintage chase thing for many years.

The "newest guitar I have is 23 years old, the oldest I still own is 27 years old.

I was sent this picture a few days back by a friend who has a nice collection of amps. We both follow this stuff still....

Here's a nice one that came up for sale in Nashville. Nice period correct case "candy" which is likely original.:

[Blocked Image: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/1fastdog/1956Strat.jpg]

I really like Gregors playing but I always found his tone boring as hell when he used the "clean Fender plus Okko pedal" in his videos (and sometimes on stage). He is utterly exciting when he plays straight into a cranked amp - what he does on his records. Then he shines and there's tone in spades. But that "clean plus Okko" never did it for me. It always sounds like generic blues lift music then and every guitar sounds the same. I always wondered why he uses that approach when he showcases the guitars he wants to sell. IMHO you can't tell a chinese Strat from a '59 Burst with that approach :P

I don't think this is too off topic actually. At least considering getting a particular tone and the wisdom of buying a particular pedal is the question.

Based on my experience I am of the OPINION: < This is to let readers know I am telling them what I have found to be the case for me and not to be a universal guide for all mankind

Tone is a combination of the tools used and the player using them. If the tools, in part or as a whole, are not to the player's taste, the absolute best performance is NOT likely to happen. For instance : If I am handed a maple neck Fender Strat with "vintage" style singles in all three positions? My playing will be conformed to the guitar and I will feel limited in doing some things the way I prefer to hear them. I couldn't care less what age the Strat is, part of my being most at ease is not going to happen. Performance for me is best when it's all what I hear in my head is happening in reality. Same sort of situation can happen if the amp doesn't do it for me.

What drew me to the Kemper was the ability to capture individual amps rather than generalizations. Yes tweaks are possible with other methods. I have been to tweak-ville with actual amps with varying levels of success. Generally it got damned expensive and not close enough for my ear in some instances.

Thankfully, one can call their own shots when it comes to gear. In a sense, be the center of your own little kingdom and be limited by nothing but budget. I had lots and lots of vintage Les Pauls years ago. Some were just right and some not all that great. Had friends with similar tastes in guitars as well and they could be had at a great prices or a bit of a stretch moneywise.

The making of pickups has come so very far from once upon a time. It's far easier to dial a guitar in with string choice, saddles, or pickups. Having the ability to describe what you are looking for and consulting someone with the skill and the interest to prove they are talented is key.

There are guitars that just are not going to work out, but they are pretty easy to spot the longer you are in the music business. It's a guitar by guitar, amp by amp deal for me. There's some very good features in the KPA which, with very little digging and thought, can get an amp profile where I want, or convince me to move on the next profile candidate. :thumbup:

Thanks for the clarification.

Although "Metal" isn't what I play, I'm glad to see any guitar community find the Kemper to be a great tool. The better the success the more updates we can look forward to.

There's a pretty wide range of sub sector in "Metal" and thus some differences in the preferred tone ranges.

My read of this thread has me a bit disappointed.

I can't remember a thread quite as outside the usual demeanor here. The fact people who tout their commercial products at the good graces of the Kemper folks at odds in a thread started by a vendor is even more disappointing. I think Kemper has the larger COMMERCIAL interest, actually. Vendors should consider staying out of other vendor started threads.

I appreciate the efforts and updates given by those who offer free and commercial profiles.

I think, however, it's a very poor direction to have sniping and editorial comments from folks who should know better than editorializing in pointed terms regarding other vendors ..

The comment about "Next will be the Metal Handjob Pack".... WTF is that but an unrequested editorial from one peddler aimed toward another?

I think potential customers can use their own ears and judgement when it comes to what will work for their musical efforts.

Some stuff belongs left unsaid or in private messages.

There's a rig exchange that resides along with the forums. I'll post if something really works for me if it's from the free zone or commercial choices. If I don't like something I just leave it for the next person to judge it themselves. I would hope someone sharing a demo with profiles in question really isn't an invitation

Being a pragmatic sort, if this section of the forum turns sour for me? I just won't read it any longer.

Thanks for reading that which is meant as friendly advice. :thumbup:

BTW, The Gear Page is much more the venue for pissing contests as opposed to this place..

Exciting stuff indeed. I appreciate the additional work done for owners to have more tone choices to add to their "palette" of choices. Will the characteristics be available in the "autowah" fx option? That would be great for someone who doesn't use a wah much, and really is trying to maintain a manageable pedalboard real estate on some fly gig dates... The red fasel inductor is my default choice as it's more what I'd expect from a good Crybaby. The yellow would probably be more Colorsound like. Sadly, preferable wah pedals are not in abundance, nor are most folks hip to the very sonic difference between them.

The Halo would be nice for copping the Curtis Mayfield wah thing...

I'm pretty proud of how these profiles came out, but when it comes down to it, it's the carpenter much more than the tools. :)

These are very useful for me in recording and live.

They also are very good with some IR based cabs I have.

I really like Dave Friedman's amps with 55HZ Scumbacks and IRs based on those with a Shure 545 or 121 through an Avalon pre also work as expected. Great work and thanks for sharing the BE channel.

Well worth the purchase!! :thumbup:

It depends on the amp.
    With my Vox AC 30 I have 3 sweet spot settings I would profile.
    With my Marshall 6100 30th anniversary which is a very versatile amp (3 ch + several preset settings per channel) I would need about 10-15.

It depends on the amp.
    With my Vox AC 30 I have 3 sweet spot settings I would profile.
    With my Marshall 6100 30th anniversary which is a very versatile amp (3 ch + several preset settings per channel) I would need about 10-15.

I not only agree, but I agree strongly enough to consider it as boilerplate to profile the sweetspots. If you have a pedal that really shine through the amp, add that as a profile as well. Profiling every amp setting isn't worthwhile to wade through, IMO. I an amp is not good at all at clean tones, there's little reason to offer a useless profile. I don't see any real reason to offer a profile which is actually more of a rig, such as turning the KPA gain knoe further right than the profiled amp actually reproduces... I think such should be offered as a RIG but not profile. People can certainly turn the gain knob up themselves.... I have nothing against trying rigs, or purchasing them if so described in a txt file......
    What do I hope for?? Profiles of great amps doing great things is what I am after. Rigs are fine to offer, even fine to sell. Let's not eliminate the best tones an amp can provide in the package.

[
    Coming soon: Friedman BE profiles, same setup, but the BE channel with combinations of C45 mod, fat and the saturation switch, something that I thought was total overkill with the HBE. It's a nice variation for sure.

Pete

I'm very interested to hear what you capture .. Not every Friedman amp I have had the pleasure to play has been jaw dropping. HOWEVER, the individual amps of his I have liked, I have LOVED and wanted to play the all damn day..
    The right BE in C45 mode has caught my ear as being, when paired with the right cab, darned hard for me to fault Naturally, there are many variables as we all know.

Some of Dave's HBE amps can be set a bit too bright for me. A bit too much "Eddie-ness" for my taste. Then again, a bit of that in the right context is the difference between slotted right depending on the mix and other instrumentation and overall soundstage left for the guitar.

I appreciate the time you are taking with the Friedman you have. I purchased it and look forward to the further profiles and settings.

The Dirty Shirley is my favorite crunch tone amp which
    usally fits a track like a glove.

Additional Friedman profiles will be welcomed. Thanks!!

An IR is much like anything else. It depends on the quality of the capture. I have tried very few IR's that were converted with cab maker.

I can't say with any authority that cabmaker "isn't that good". The few cabs I tried are still on my KPA. I found use for them. In some instances I have found them valuable, but my caveat is tempered with saying I have not heard the cab/speaker/mic which was used to shoot the IR.

I know the strong suit for KPA is a profile done with cab/amp/mic and setting preferred on the rig to be profiled.

I try to avoid a preconceived attitude without actually listening to the deal with my own ears. If it's good it's gonna find a home with what I can use. If it doesn't "sing my song", the delete button will soon be pressed.