Posts by musicman65

Distortion pedals should be profiled in combination with an amp. The process is limited to devices that amplify...whether that be a modeling pedal or real amp The profiling function is analyzing gain, eq, nonlinear response....all the stuff that makes an amp have a unique voice. It does not test for patterns of phase shift, delay or other effects technology....so, no to flangers, chorus, and the like..

You can profile nearly anything with a signal input and line or mic level output that only amplifies. Kemper designed the KPA to profile instrument tube amps and doesn't recommend profiling modelling devices like Line6 and AxeFX...but many users have done so.

bd

ah - that explains it. Very handy indeed.

For a moment I thought it was doing tone matching........ 8)

Eatapeach,

another handy tidbit is this. Dont worry about editing
    anything but the name of the profile. Use a short temporary name. Let
    it keep the wrong data for the rest of the tags. Then, upload your
    profile to the Rig Exchange and edit all the tags using the webpage.
    Rename it and correct everything. Re-download your newly tagged profile
    and delete your old ones with temporary names.

Huge time and frustration saver for me. The rotary character selection process when
    tagging makes my arm go to sleep! You can also go to your User Account
    settings and click "My Rigs" to edit the tags anytime after uploading.

bd

Some discussion around Axe-Fx and tone-matching a real amp:
    http://forum.fractalaudio.com/…atching-real-amp-yet.html

Looks like that it's not all roses and champagne. Since Tone Matching tries to fit a sample to the existing modelling blocks, the end result really comes along how well existing blocks can replicate real amp&cab characteristcs. And how well Axe, in general, can reproduce tone, dynamics, harmonics etc. of a real amp/cab. Because of these restrictions some Axe users are already requesting real profiling functionality, to be able to capture any amp & cab, not only those that are "pre-modelled" in Axe.

Come on over boys, we got real profiling here! It sounds like "tone matching" should be called "model morphing" to me. :P

Just read the Fractal Profiling thread. They have a Sine Wave sweep function as an added third voice in the built-in synth. They claim to be able to "profile" by sweeping a real amp with a varying sine wave from 20hz to 20khz. I doubt its the same because they are only capturing the frequency response, not the distortion waveform characteristics. I'm sure it improves the realism...but its an eq patch on preamp and cabinet models unless I'm missing something. They want true profiling so bad they can taste it....lol.

bd

Try any of the high gain classic british tube amp profiles like the Marshalls. Add a Wah pedal thats adjusted and fixed at some midpoint. Thats how the focused midrange was originally created by Knoppler according to various sources. You will easily duplicate the tone.

bd

I'm a left foot stand / right foot press guitarist as well. Bank up/dwn on the right is better.

+1 on a "foot operated wheel"....great for adjusting depth on delays, etc.

Flat and Compact is better. If it fit in the space of a 19 x 1.75 inch rack for storage, even better.

Screen readability is important and small fonts are useless to me. Make it so a person with 20/40 vision can read it. (1.2+ cm tall fonts)

bd

I agree with the OP...different channels are...different. Not the same as altering the input with a stomp either clean boosted or otherwise.

So, with that in mind, I treat each RIG like an amp channel. Changing rigs is probably the best way to change channels. I just get a profile of each sound and switch between them. The switch time seems about the same as on my real amps so I don't really have a downside to doing it that way.

When "Performance Mode" finally arrives, that will be how its done based on what I understand.

bd

I also support the request to NOT lower the main output. With the TRS outs the KPA already has a weaker signal than any other TRS device I own. I run the gains on my studio mixer hotter with the KPA maxed than I do with Line6 and Roland gear at 50%....??? Its usable now but 6db lower would be a step in the wrong direction. The KPA may gain internal headroom but I lose headroom at the board.....not good!

bd

Awesome to hear players are digging my little Champ II amp. It really sounds that sweet in real life....Kemper has done an amazing thing allowing us to share! I was worried my little Champ II was going to die but now it is preserved for all time. I think the transformer is shorting when it heats up so I got my KPA just in time! I still have a "Pull Thick with All Dimed" profile to do....I hope it survives. Then my Fender HRD..... :rolleyes:

This KPA profiling is ADICTIVE. I wish I owned more amps....but I have the next best thing, my KPA! :D

Also, God bless whoever posted the EVH 5153 profiles....I go into a time warp when I dial that up...the hours melt away as I got lost in the tone.

bd

eatapeach,

the mic was dead center between 5 and 6 inches away and off-axis pointing away from the cone so it was catching the reflected sound from around the sides of the amp. I just moved it around til it sounded like what my ears heard directly. Not very scientific but it worked.

bd

Perhaps this will help in discovering what works with open backs. I don't know what Till Treated is but here's something I stumbled on.

I profiled a little Fender Champ II last night with open back 8" speaker. It sits under my oak wood studio desk on a shelf. The desk encloses the amp with 10" behind and 4" top and sides clearance. I used to remove the amp to record it, but found it sounds "better" sitting in the ported enclosure. The mic has to be positioned under the desk since the shelf is recessed 8 inches....and there is bass treatment under there as well. After 3 profiling attempts, I got what I was looking for....an airy, open yet full range sound. Mic position and overall volume where key.

Have I stumbled on something as a complete newb that helps? The profile was just uploaded under author "BDTN" as "BD '83 FNDR CHAMP II"

bd

I spent the evening learning to profile...and I am very happy with the results. The KPA captured the essence of my little 83 Fender Champ II which has a sweet mild tube breakup and sounds amazing and huge when recorded. My 82 Carvin X100B with matching 4-12 cab also sounds great....

Fender HotRod Deluxe with old schol Tone Stack mods and Eminence Private Jack speaker is next....

(edit: profiles shared under author BDTN in the exchange)

bd

If we could get Mr. Kemper to add an adjustable noise gate to the loop functions -or- the option to position the existing noise gate to pre-stomp, pre-amp, pre-effects, or main out sections in the chain....it would be absolutely PERFECT. That would take care of the hiss from outboard devices. Right now, loop noise is cumulative and can't be controlled.

This is especially important on a pre-gain loop in the stomp section because the noise is then passed through a high gain amp where it gets pretty loud and unmanageable.

I would prefer an added noise gate to each type of loop function, I think. Maybe others could give pros and cons to which might be better.

Thanks for a revolutionary device!

bd

Those would be nice to have, but i doubt # 3 is ever going to happen, it is a great suggestion, specially when it takes a very long time to reboot.

I don't see why they wouldn't offer ride through capacity to survive a power blip....its basic electronics. As soon as the warranty is out, I may attempt to add a battery or capacitor (depending on the internal design) unless the rack really intrigues me.

bd

Problem solved...I installed an extra output jack that taps into the guitar pickup signal before buffering. The noise is gone and tone is restored.

The GR55 now is a very nice polyphonic effects and footcontroller for GK equipped users.

bd

How do you like it compared to a normal wedge (at that price you can get a really good one)?

I like the KP500sn a lot....but to be fair, I haven't tried any good powered wedges with a 12" speaker. The KP500sn has 2 12" speakers and 4 Horns in a splayed ("V" shaped) cabinet. Looks classy too. There is a wide control that is MAGIC....the amps stereo image becomes huge and the apparent location of the amp shifts back a few feet and widens up....kinda melts into the room...magic....MAGIC I tell you. Lol!

2 nice powered wedges would probable do pretty good too. I do like the wedges that can sit straight or slanted so they can run as a backline if desired.

bd