Posts by musicman65

You really need to pitch shift each string signal individually which is impossible since your guitar has a single signal for all strings. Any frequency shifter works well one note at a time but gets confused when fed a chord. Roland's GK pickup system has six isolated outputs and when used with their polyphonic gear such as the VG-99 or GR-55, can achieve ANY alternate tuning with the press of a button.

Probably not gonna find a standard stompbox that detunes without wierd artifacts and glitches when playing chords....but we can hope!

bd

simply way to find out. If you're handy with batch file scripting, create a batch file that appends a prefix to all profile files in a directory. Run this on a copy of your 1300 profiles then combine them back with the orinals and import. Whalla! 2600 profiles. Lather rinse repeat

mDan,

cant wait to get the document in hand. This is just in time. I am working up my plans for my next gen "Gig Rig" and NRPN integration will be the key to my success!

See guys, I told you cool stuff will come from this. This is the key to getting software editors and librarians in the works. The iPad/Android apps are already out there as the video demonstrates.

bd

I say "Ladies first"......Lol!

Btw, the full interface to all parameters and functions is baked into the KPA already. If Kemper releases the NRPN midi documentation as promised, some programmers already on this forum could whip up an editor in no time. I've seen this happen on other forums for other midi gear. Also, with NRPN, you can make the KPA do whatever you like via a well-designed midi floor pedal.

So....Please Mr. Kemper, could we have the NRPN documentation? Thanks!

bd

Others have reported MIDI expression pedals working well with the KPA's Wah. If it was 'notchy", surely they would notice. NRPN is several CC's in succession so performance may be reduced. My main goal is to get the documentation so we can all take the next step with user-developed software editors, smartphone apps, and floorpedal implementations.

I want to be able to tweak parameters with my feet...not necessarily in "real time", just need to make on the fly changes. The standard MIDI implementation comes close already. My push for NRPN docs is really about possibilities. I'm waiting because I know I will invest a lot of time once we have it.

Its great news that we are close to having the keys to unlocking this hidden potential in the KPA! mDan is da MAN!

bd

I think we try to make a digital device into something it is not....it'll never be an amp in a room. It's designed to sound like a mic'd amp which is what we hear on recordings. Room simulation can be added at the DAW or console. Getting past that and working with what the KPA IS yields awesome results....but its a paradigm shift. Anyone who plays larger venues is already removed from the "amp in a room" affair. Its the bedroom pickers and small venue guys that are struggling most with this, it seems.

But if someone figures out how to get that direct near field cabinet sound for small venues, that'll be awesome!

bd

CK,

allow me to take a stab at your rhetorical question.

First, I congratulate you for asking objective and challenging questions and indirectly stating the obvious....

I think vocalist trust that the front of house sound is accurate and monitors are...well...just....MONITORS. However, many guitarist can't play without the tone and touch sensitivity of THE amp right at their feet....or within immediate sonic range....up close and personal. This most likely comes from sitting in a practice room right in front of the amp. That sound is not available anywhere else, certainly not to the audience... Large venues bands and big name acts don't have an amp at their feet or within that direct immediate range. They have monitors, earbuds (IEMs) or massive slaved backlines that don't sound like THE amp in there favorite setting. They are professionals and have left behind the illusion that there ideal "in the room" sound is something the audience will ever hear. They learn to play listening to the tone the audience hears....the same tone the KPA captures so accurately, the mic'd amp and cab.

So my advice.....simplify your life and go pro, learn to play with the feel of a mic'd amp through FRFR amplification. Its different but hey, its what your audience hears. If that's not good enough, improve the overall tone in the front of house until it meets your standards. That way the audience can enjoy it too!

This isn't meant to draw flames, just to state that modelling, and now profiling, really puts us, the amateur guitarist, in the same setting as the big boys. Just my humble opinion. If amps and cabs are your thing, enjoy!

bd

I will be posting much less here - My comments, critiques and suggestions will be going directly to Christoph and his beta team. I am very happy that we have finally 'connected', and I will do my best to make the KPA platform better than ever - you can count on that...

Relieved......but still speechless. Good luck on your tour.

lowly non-artist nobody here :?:

Good results going PA direct is hard to achieve with any of the modelers if you don't create and test your tones through an FRFR system. Building patches from scratch using PA speakers or studio monitors as your reference usually works out well. Another factor is room and eq variance from venue to venue, I use a realtime analyzer to set the FOH eq the first time in a new venue. Its not perfect but is a good starting point. My patches are consistent and fairly true to the tone I dial in at home.

The fact you say the KPA sounds so good without tons of tweaking running PA direct is a testament to the authenticity of its sound! Most modelers require a lot of work to get a decent tone....KPA profiling is the future.

bd

The only items that wear appreciably in the KPA are the LEDS, LCD screen, and most critically....the capacitors.

Capacitors do "wear out", especially if undersized or not properly specified for the application. I used to believe in "leaving it on" when it comes to electronics but lately I've had a rash of cap failures in various pieces of gear in my studio. After dis-assembly, I discovered each had caps that where bulged on top or blown out. This gear ran 6 years continuously. Had I powered it down, it may well have lasted longer.

LEDs are typically rated with a "half-life" which is the time it will burn continuously before illuminating at 50% light output. Most are around 7 years but can be more or less depending on the applied voltage and LED quality. If one fails early on a unit with many identical LEDs, most likely its a premature LED failure or bad solder joint. It happens.

LCD screens last a long time but can fail in extreme temperatures. I'm not sure what type of screen the KPA has. It looks like an LCD to me but I haven't looked closely.

I turn mine off now days.

bd

Thanks, again bd,

I have been aware of the Gordius line for some time, and the apparent fact that it will send a midi string is great news, but the Soft Step is still more appealing to me, mostly because I would not need any additional foot pedals, plus size, and weight, as previously mentioned.
    Even with having to purchase the Event Processor, and the Midi Expander, for the Soft Step, the cost is approx $300 less than the Gordius.

Well, It's a work in progress, and I always learn a lot along the way(-:
    No such thing as problems, only solutions :thumbup: .

imall,

You may be onto something...taking a closer look at the KMI SoftStep, they advertise being able to send "Up to 6 Note, CC, Pitch Bend, Program, MMC, or OSC messages per key"... There may be no need for the event processor since NRPN is simply a series of 4 to 6 CC# messages.

Also, the KMI MIDI Expander looks like it may fit in the rear of the KPA. I also wonder if it will power from the KPA usb port.

bd

imall41,

well put! Another option I found today and was also posted on the forum by another forum member is the Gordius Little Giant family of MIDI foot controllers. They can send any length and construct MIDI string so NRPN is no problem.

I am glad to hear CK is willing to help others interface MIDI pedals and hope we get a document soon! Even if its a working document

Thanks for the heads up. I found the Gordius today after asking the question. it looks perfect.....except the price.....$699 USD and I would still need 2 expression pedals. I may purchase one anyways since its the only unit able to send NRPN.

bd

From various threads I've read, the answer is no. the USB only supports a memory stick today. Perhaps a future update will add MIDI-over-usb capabilities but I seriously doubt it. The Soft Step has a usb-to-MIDI converter box for use with 5-pin MIDI standalone operation. I think Keith McMillen blew it when he made the Soft Step usb only. He should have made a 5-pin version....I'd own one.That goofy box adds to much complexity and bulk to a wonderful idea.

bd

Imall41,

yes, thats exactly right! Any MIDI controller that can send PC and CC commands will work with the Event Processor Plus device to control the KPA. The only limitation will be in the Midi Solutions Event Processor Plus which can only map 36 events so that's 36 parameters that can be mapped to a foot controller. The normal MIDI Program Change (PC) data sent to the KPA to change rigs doesn't require event mapping so the 36 events would be CC#'s from the Soft Step mapped to 36 stomp, amp, effects, and other parameters. So all we need is the NRPN mapping and we're set.

I'm glad to see some other users who see the possibilities!

Timo, how's the NRPN document coming along? And thanks for clarifying that NRPN is just 4 to 6 CC commands in series. Most of the MIDI floorboards I have researched are not flexible enough to send that many CC's or can't embed the data in the correct CC sequence. If you know of a unit that can do this, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

bd