Posts by ballantine

132 votes and only 60 think it sounds/feels the same.

The first 2 o 3 hundreds of post are based on wrong test files (played in different moments and maybe with different guitars)... that influenced a lot the common opinion.
    BTW the ones who's saying is different are divided... some say is brighter, some say is warmer.

So half of us is crazy, fooled by our hearing or brain - or something is different.

Something is different...that's for sure. If a particular sequence of 1010101010 produces an artifact called aliasing in the digital-analog conversion you have to change that sequence a little to avoid those artifact... I have no doubt.
    The debate is if you can hear the difference by ear.

d) any more ideas ???

Some particular guitar with some specific rig make this difference audible to some special people...
    I don't feel anything wrong (except for crackles... but it's a beta, I know)

P.S. Guitartone
    I'll do 75 ....

Yeah I was getting crackles too, sounded almost like clipping but the lights were all well within green and turning the volume down didn't change things, I think it's a syncing issue with SPDIF rearing it's head again. Coupled with the fact that the latency has apparently gone up by half a ms maybe the additional processing required for the aliasing fix means that it needs an even larger buffer :( (which would mean more latency in order to fix it).

If you are right I'm more convinced then ever that the best way would be to leave to the user the choice of this new anti-aliasing processing (at rig or system level)...aliasing never bothered me and if this will increase latency I'm not interested in removing it for 99% of my works (I'm a professional musician ;-))

Yes. Those clicks are in the same version of the firmware. I have to check that. Apart from that, any differences?

Analyzing the waveforms I can say that something probably is changed because they're not identical (how can you remove digital artifacts without changing anything?!?), but I can't say wich one is better and I can't recognize them by ear.
    Probably the new firmware is the one with those crackles because I have the same problems... And that is bothering me much more than the sound change...

What I can hear CLEARLY are some digital clicks... on "dry one" at 20 seconds and on "wet two" at 10 seconds

@CK

I think that there is a lot of people who's reading and agreeing with you without posting. They are very happy with the sound of 1.6.0 that is not changed.
    I'm one of those... I'm just not posting often because my experience has taught me that some kind of discussions are simply... endless!
    The funny thing is that this type of super-hearing players are (often) even really good in playing, but they just trust too much they're ears :)
    Never trust your ear too much... you can be very disappointed! :thumbdown:

I'll do a test reamping but I recorded more samples including two and three notes phrases and chords and the result was the same.

Of course, I have no doubt that you can feel it in your own hands and with your ears during playing.
    What I was trying to say is that recording two different parts with different dynamic I can make sound better a Pod than a KPA...

BTW the second part of my post was more important: does anybody think that you can filter something without loosing any information? I don't think is possible...

The best is to have a great sound even with the filter applied (and for me they accomplished the mission :thumbup: ), but leaving the choice to the final user is even better :thumbup:

IMHO you have to do tests reamping the exact same track, we can't compare two different plays... of course they'll sound different.
    In the example above, for what I hear now in my MacBook, there's more difference in the dynamic of playing than in the sound.

BTW I think that every filter (including anti-aliasing) will obviously cut some information so the best choice, as I already said, should be to make it optional with a switch... just like they did with the hidden "fixed latency mode".

My 2 cents...

I've noticed two problems changing preset:

1) when I switch to/from a preset with the amplifier section OFF there is a very high peak of sound.
    Here's an example:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27237…changing%20preset%201.mp3

(In case you ask, I use this type of presets for my acoustic guitar -Taylor with TES- that I like direct on the mixer, but I want to use the KPA just to add effects like delay, chorus and reverb.)

2) I found an old thread about noise changing presets, I thought it was solved, but switching presets while playing still has some little click... and sometimes some other click even after the switch.
    Not always! Sometime the change is very smooth.

A couple of examples:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2723724/KPA%20Clicks%201.mp3
    On the file above you can hear a little click on the second sound (almost at the end... just before the third sound) and between the third and the fourth.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2723724/KPA%20Clicks%202.mp3
    On this file is almost in every change.
    I recorded minutes of these and I'm posting the worst few seconds.... I know that it's not a big issue, but I think that it can be improved :)

AFAIK... GRS is an old italian brand from '60/'70. I think the founder is called Armando Grieco and he owned a music shop near Florence (Scandicci?!?)
    They sounded very good but I heard/read that they had some little problem concerning overheating and electric shock ( ?( )... maybe that's the reason because there's a polarity switch right in front :)

This GRS head is almost completely original. I just changed two condenser one month ago and after 50 years it still sounds very good and clean.

I did this profile because someone asked for the speaker Celestion Classic Lead 80... I want to try to profile even a crunch or distortion sound, but I have to push it to very high volume... can't do it at home!

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean with "score re"... English is not my language.

nessuno ha una cassa con dei celestion Classic Lead 80?
    sapete se esiste qualche rig in cui sia stato usato/ripreso questo cono?

Ho appena messo su Rig Exchange un profilo (GRS Clean) che ho fatto con una testata GRS valvolare in una cassa Gallien-Krueger mod.112 (equipaggiata di Celestion Classic Lead 80) ripreso con un MD 421 leggermente fuori asse.
    Spero ti possa essere utile, ciao!

Unless this software is amazingly fast and efficient, it will never touch the capabilities of a PROPERLY SETUP hex equipped rig. For those of you who have had bad experiences with hex gear, the secret is in the setup AND clean playing technique.

I agree... I used midi guitar live several times and it's very good... it never misses anything!

What about Axon... I never tried it. I think uses the same roland connection, right? Is it better/faster than Roland (properly setup) on the low strings?

as far as i remember the ipad has a rather high latency compared to a native mac or pc. I tried it again today and i am heavily impressed...

With others apps (Garageband, Amplitube, etc.) the latency with the iPad is very good and similar to a Mac (few milliseconds). Btw I tried even the desktop version and the result is the same.

As I said: the project (and the technology behind!) is very interesting and impressive... You can use it with a regular guitar and create beautiful effects.
    But for now, for normal playing there's a lot of latency and it misses to much notes on chords and when you play fast.
    I don't want to start a useless war posting files with evident differences in terms of accuracy... but the "old" Roland technology (probably because of the six separate signal) is still far better... at least for now ;)

But obviously you need specific hardware (a particular guitar or a special pickup and a Roland GR) so the comparison is unfair...