Posts by Kydas

And technically, "stems" is not the correct term. At least, I would advise you to get "raw tracks" or "multitracks" instead. Stems traditionally have the mix processing on them (EQ, compressor, tape emulation, reverb, whatever), and will not necessarily be the best starting point for figuring out what to go for in terms of raw guitar tone.

Thanks for correcting me, you're totally right !
    I meant to try either with stems or raw tracks but I must agree that raw tracks would be a better starting point!

how I am suppose to know that it's super insane profile inside a mix.share your tips and tricks cheers

Hi !

I had the same problem as you. One day I decided to record one of my song so I learned how to program drums and I recorded bass. I took my favorite guitar tone, tracked to guitar, 1 left - 1 right. Boom, it sounded horrible! Haha. Well in fact, it was not so bad but there was way too much bass and no mid.
    I solved this by copying the sound of August Burns Red in the beginning of "Meridian" when there's no drums or bass. The sound was horrible alone but sounded really great in the mix with 2 guitar tracks.

If you want an example of the difference between alone and in-mix guitar tone check (at 1min) this from Ola Englund. You'll find more videos of him where he lets you hear the guitar tone alone and without EQ.

So here's my tips to have a "better sound" in a mix (or when you play with a band) :
    1) As said before, try to find a separate guitar track of a song you like and imitate the sound. But there's a best way in my opinion which is :
    2) Find Stems files of a song you like (or that sounds like what you want to play). By "stems" I mean "separate files of a song". You can sometimes find them when a band makes a "mixing contest" and gives away (for free) the tracks of a song separately (for exemple : Bass/Drums/Gtr Left/Gtr Right/Lead) or on deluxe versions of albums (Ola Englund for example, again) etc… Instead of taking only the guitar track and try to imitate it : Make your OWN sound. When you like it, learn a riff or two of the song and record them, replace the original guitars with yours and check how it sounds. Tweak your sound until it sounds good to you IN THE MIX.

And for this I have some more tips :
    - It seems obvious but : record a really precise and clean track.
    - Record some different riffs. One with power-chords, one with scales, one with palm-mutes for example to see how it sounds in different situations. Be aware that in records they often have different tones for each part to make them sound better. (Obvious example : Guitar solos have more reverb/delay etc…).
    - Ask another musician or audio engineer (which listen to the kind of stuff you're trying to achieve) how it sounds to his ears. Sometimes, after a long tweaking session you don't know anymore what sounds good and what don't. Listen to it another day with fresh ears (as said before).
    - Took the time to learn how to reamp. It's really easy with a kemper and it will avoid re-record each time you tweak a bit.
    - Don't hesitate to try the "extreme" (like No bass at all) to figure out how it changes the sound.
    - Listen to you mix on an audio device you are used to first.
    - Always double track (or even 4 track!) : It will sound way bigger and more powerful.
    - Try to make it sound great without processing (EQ/Compressor…). If it sounds good without it, it'll certainly sound huge with it ;)
    - One of the most common error is : Too much bass. When you play alone you like to have lot of bass but when you play with a bassist, it's his job, let the bass to him, it'll sound way better.

I'm just an amateur and that's some of the things that helped me achieve a greater guitar tone.
    Maybe some are totally wrong and that's why my first tip is : Try and use your ears, maybe some things won't work but you'll always learn from it ;)

If you've got a question about this, don't hesitate to ask.
    I really hope that some of this will help you.
    Cheers !

He also thinks that the 600W of the KPA-Powerhead offers too much, unnecessary power, but again we're talking about transistors and not about tubes.

I want to clarify a point on my "review" about this : I did say that "180 was already too much" in a way that "being a non-professional musician, it satisfy all my needs by far and I don't "need" all the power of this amp". I never had to crank it all up but I'm not saying in any way that it's a bad thing to have the possibility to have more power. I really hope that one day I'll play on a place big enough to say "sh*t, 180W isn't enough" haha.
    When I bought my Camplifier 180 I wasn't really sure that this would be enough and I'm now pretty sure that it's enough for most of guitarists who plays home or small gigs with a band and that's what I wanted to say. It was meant to eventually help someone who's wondering if 180W is enough, not meant to say that "more is useless" because it is not.
    I hope you'll understand my point.
    Cheers ;)

:!::!::!:
    Dude I hope I never get in your way! :D

Pretty brilliant though. I was wondering how bad the cut would look but in the Facebook pics I saw you were able to re-use the plastic end piece. So I guess you physically moved buttons 1, 2 and 3 (or their internal connections) to the top?

Haha thanks !
    Yes that's what I did. The switches 1 to 5 and 6 to 10 are on 2 PCB. I configured my FCB1010 before doing anything. Then I removed the 6 to 10 PCB. I cut the other one in two parts : Switch 1 to 3 and switch 4 and 5. I let the 4 to 5 at its place and moved the other one to the top. I just welded (is this the right word?) them like they were before. I also removed the other expression pedal but this didn't imply any changes.
    The metal is pretty hard to cut but hopefully I have a friend who makes custom flight cases (Kronecase) who helped me with this part.

Doing this I was forced to make some new holes for the MIDI and Jack In & Out. I did them were the On/Off switch was and put the switch on the side (which in fact is pretty cool because I am able to turn it on with my foot).
    I had to make some adjustment to re-use the side pieces and to make sur that my foot switch was solid enough (because I got rid of some support points).

That's pretty much it. See, it's not brilliant at all ;)

I bought the Camplifier 180 a year ago.
    I play it with my band (Way Of Changes) and our practice place is really humid but I never had any problem with it. It's already way too much powerful, even on stage I think that I've never went over 50% of it's power (on a 2x12, Celestion V30 cab).
    It's really a great, light weight, nice sounding amp. I can't recommend it enough ! :)

Hi there !

If you want to know who I am just read my presentation there : Théo from Switzerland

I'm guitarist in the swiss band Way Of Changes and a user of kemper for almost 3 years now. I've always been really happy with it until I tried to find a footswitch for it.

I wanted 3 things on it : A Tuner, A Volume pedal (or mute button) and some switch to navigate through the rigs.
    I found out that the only midi foot controller which seemed to be able to do this was the FCB1010 with a UnO (4 Kemper) chip… but come on! This thing is huge ! And I don't need all those switches !
    If I want to add the reverb to my rig I just create the same rig with reverb on it and I'll switch between the both, I don't need a switch for delay, one for reverb etc…

So here's what I thought : "Let's cut it in half". And I did it, and it works perfectly fine. Oh yeah and I thought "Let's paint it galaxy" too, which my bandmates found really gay, it's a matter of taste. :P
    I'm glad to present to you my galaxy board : It has a volume pedal, when I drop my volume to 0 it shows the tuner (thanks to the UnO chip), with the 5 switch I can chose between the 5 rigs of my performance, with the arrows I can navigate through my performances. It's simple, it fits in a rack drawer and I mean, come on, I got a galaxy under my feet !

[Blocked Image: https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/10507039_10203914239848076_7203033086251008640_o.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: https://scontent-b-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/10694203_10203914237888027_2446974625337599553_o.jpg]
    If you want to see more of it just check it there : https://www.facebook.com/theo.…3741827.1584007080&type=1

I don't know if someone is interested to know how to do this, it's really easy and you don't have to know anything about electronics so just ask me and I'll explain it to you.

I apologize for my bad english.

Hi !

As you may have noticed, my name is Théo, I'm 20.
    I play guitar for 7years now and for almost 3 years on a Kemper !
    I heard about this amp as I was searching for a new head on the internet and found a used one so I gave it a try… since then we live happy together but we can't seem to have children so I'll probably have to buy another one soon to keep one at home and the other to play with my band.

Because I play in a band, yes, a metalcore band actually ! It's named Way Of Changes and I would be more than happy if give it a chance !
    You can find us on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/wayofchangesband
    And you'll find our first song on soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/way-of-changes/in-out

Please feel free to let me know what you think of it, even if you don't like it !
    I've done all the pre-production with the kemper but the final product has been done with MESA double rectifier (in the studio). I play live with my Kemper and a custom footswitch I "made" (actually a modified fcb1010 but I'll speak about this footswitch in another post) + a Camplifier 180 in the back of my Kemper + a 2x12 cab.

I apologize for the picture quality which is an insult to the 21th century but that's the only one I got. It should give you an idea of my gear.
    [Blocked Image: http://i61.tinypic.com/qspqax.jpg]

Cheers ! :)