Posts by thedommer

I just updated to 5.1 and when I scroll through the outputs on spdif I can hear a decent amount of them except "Master Stereo". Any idea how to get that back going. It also says "Direct Output used for Loop Stomp" on the screen. Not sure why thats on the screen.

SOLVED - Never mind. Its because I had delay on but no delay selected.

This has been asked to death a million times I am sure but I just wanted to check if there is a way to do this all digital now.

Id like to use SPDIF and have left as dry and right as amp. I don't use stereo delays or reverb when recording because I can do that in my DAW after the fact with better sounding reverbs and delays. Plus its more versatile to mix those things in the daw. So I only need mono. This leaves the other side of SPDIF as a spot I'd love to grab the dry signal in case I want to re-amp later (I usually do).

This has probably been discussed but I still can't find clarity on what this new profiling does for me. I am the user looking for killer profiles. I never use profiling and probably never will. Does this new profiling change anything in sound quality or feel? Thats all I care about. I don't care that its slightly off from the original amp.

1. This is not working for me. Running windows 7 and OSX at the same time is choking my computer. Its an early 2008 Mac pro. Don't think Ill be using this Rig software very often until they release the OSX version. booo.

2. Was hoping that it wouldn't be just the rigs. Thought they would have the whole setup. So I can see what else is running on that rig (pedals, FX etc).

3. Would love to see it showing peoples reviews, sort by date released, etc.

Anyways. Its still very useful but I'll wait until the OSX version is released.

Sigh. Just set up parallels and came to download the beta. Guess I didn't read the fine print and will have to suck it up for another month. Ill finally be able to clean up the Kemper and pick all the rigs I like fast and efficiently. Just send me the beta please?

Ok. Getting ready to use the kemper on a recording session.

My logic behind how to record would be to go into the kemper then dry digital out into the computer. No amp or effects, only thing being used is the kemper pre and converters.

Then going digital back out of the computer into the kemper and then going main outs back into the computer. this way Im no printing the amp tone to the recording but can still hear an amp. The purpose of this is so that during the mixing phase I can go thorugh a few different amps and find what sits the best.

Is this possible and is this a dumb idea?

My assumption is the Kemper pre is perfectly set up for the kemper so if I am to reamp later, it would be best to use the kemper pre over my chandler Germanium or direct into my RME UFX.

Thoughts on how to do this. I see nothing in the manual on using the digital for a clean signal. I have a feeling I would have to use the "direct" out in order to get the clean signal. wouldnt that be another stage of conversion?

Am I over thinking this and should I just go straight into the UFX and reamp digital?

Thanks!
    Dom

Ok so I built a digital cable using the UFX recommended setup. Its basically a 10ft XLR cable with a RCA hookup on one end and XLR on the other. the ground is left not connected to the RCA. I used mogami starquad.

however I am hearing little digital artifacts quite frequently and occasionally losing clock connection. Somethings up. The issue is just through the Digital out. Other outputs are fine. Im presuming its just the cable.

Should I be using AES cable or something?

Dom

There are a ton of profiles that come with it and many are not really that great. I kinda want to clear them out and start from scratch.

Any profiles you would recommend I keep?
    And what are the most loved ones in the rig exchange?

I don't really want to spend hours and hours downloading and trying rigs. I know I might have to do get the few that I actually need.

Quite enjoying the rig pack 2. seem to be some fantastic rigs that feel a bit more "real".

Really though I don't need a lot of tone. I just want a bunch of killer AC30s, maybe a hiwatt, a typical marshal, something like a fender deluxe, and one or two other amps.

I use a G&L Asat with single coil.

I went out and bought cable and then after closer inspection I realized that the UFX says to take a standard XLR cable and modify it at one end for RCA in rod to do spdif. The thing is I have these damn spdif cables. I presume it shouldn't matter though. its still the same connectors, just with a different cable. Anyways I soldered it and tried it and its not working. UFX isn't recognizing any digital. However I have no idea if the kemper is actually sending digital signal. maybe the cable is fine and I did something else wrong. Ive set the UFX to clock source AES but it is still saying internal. Thoughts anyone? Do I just need to cut my losses and go buy some XLR or AES cable?

Dom

not sure if that is the "answer". If you have two cables running out and they are not stereo then its possibly you have two similar signals going in. This would double the volume and cause distortion. Read up on what those cables are. You want the stereo input (if you want stereo) and you also want to ensure that the stereo channels are panned left and right. If you are not doing stereo there should only be one cable required.