I want to record with kemper dry into the computer then reamp later. thoughts on best flow?

• Ok. Getting ready to use the kemper on a recording session.

My logic behind how to record would be to go into the kemper then dry digital out into the computer. No amp or effects, only thing being used is the kemper pre and converters.

Then going digital back out of the computer into the kemper and then going main outs back into the computer. this way Im no printing the amp tone to the recording but can still hear an amp. The purpose of this is so that during the mixing phase I can go thorugh a few different amps and find what sits the best.

Is this possible and is this a dumb idea?

My assumption is the Kemper pre is perfectly set up for the kemper so if I am to reamp later, it would be best to use the kemper pre over my chandler Germanium or direct into my RME UFX.

Thoughts on how to do this. I see nothing in the manual on using the digital for a clean signal. I have a feeling I would have to use the "direct" out in order to get the clean signal. wouldnt that be another stage of conversion?

Am I over thinking this and should I just go straight into the UFX and reamp digital?

Thanks!
    Dom

• Why re-amp, choose the right amp/Profile and record. :)

ha..yeah with thousands of amp tones to choose from, not the most efficient approach. especially if you want to layer some different tones without having to do 20 takes.

I am also interested in the best way to re-amp with the KPA.

• There are multiple ways to get it done. If you have a SPDIF in/out on your audio interface, you should definitely use it for reamping. The question is how to record the dry signal.

1. Record the analog direct out into your audio interface plus the KPA amp signal over SPDIF on separate tracks. This way you instantly get a nice amp sound track and do not have to do reamping to get even a basic amp track. Saves time...
    2.Turn off anything on the KPA and use the SPDIF to record just the dry signal. While this maintains the best possible audio quality it is a little inconvenient cause you need to do a second reamping pass to get some amp signal.

I use method 1 and it works great...