Posts by GearJocke

A very underrated album from Nuno if you ask me. So much better than the last Extreme album, Waiting for the punchline, that was a big dissapointment at least for me.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just because you like some producers work and guitar tone doens't mean they will work for you. If you would enter one of their studio, they would create another sound and tone that will work great just for you and the rest of the band. I've purchased profiles that didn't work at all for me and I've purchased profiles that work for me. It's a gamble sometimes and happen to us all who purchase commercial profiles. But there are also great free profiles on RE. Oh I forgot I have a STL profile pack but it was created by STL and it's a Mesa pack. Great pack

And how the bass and drums are recorded and mixed will determine how the guitar(s)will sound like with the rest.

If you blend amp and DI tracks together you will phase issue many times. Even those producers will face the phase issue in their studios occasionally when they are sent tracks to mix, e.g. drum tracks.

And don't forget most metal songs have less distortion than you might think. With less it will force you to pick harder and also will sound thicker. Oh and another important factor is a well set up guitar.

Hi GearJocke ,
    thank for taking time to answer.
    You're absolutely right, I have to listen to them in context and not alone.

In a mix they sound either too harsh/aggressive or drowned and blurry (I'm not a professionnal mixer ;-)).

Maybe I have not the right approach, I would like to have the right sound at tracking so as to not tweak too much after.

I think I may have to tweak settings to be close to the original sound.
    To be honest, I don't know how.
    Something strange too, on David Bendeth bundle, bass profiles Amp and DI seems not to be in phase.

Guitar, pickups and playing style matter alot. A vendor here did a test a couple of years ago with 4-5 different guitarists that used the same guitar, pick, kemper and profile. If the vendor had said nothing I would believed they all used either different guitars or profiles. So again how you play matter much. Many metal profiles are made with down tuned guitars and down tuned guitars with heavier string gauge, e g. 12-60, need clarity to cut thru a mix. So sometimes using that kind of profiles with a guitar tuned in E standard with 10-46 strings will sound harsh and too bright. But even well known producers have guitar tracks that are harsh and or have a whistle sound on the guitar tracks. Not uncommon. EQ in you DAW is your friend there and Soothe is a another great plugin for taking care of that.

Bass amp track, no matter if a kemper, other products or real amp has been used, will many times lead to phase issues together with a DI track. Flipp the phase on one of the tracks and compare.

Some vendors will give youo a pdf list with the settings on the profiles. But most don't. But if you like how it sounds, just leave it as it is. If not, EQ a little and see if works. Needs too much EQ? Use another profile.

Neural does great VSTs and it would be cool to be able to use them live with dedicated hardware. My one question on this is, how does it FEEL? What puts the Kemper head and shoulders over everything else I've ever played on is the feeling of playing it. The Helix feels dead by comparison.

I downloaded the Helix native that shold be the same as the hardware, stated by Line6 and...what? If this is like the hardware, I would have cried blood if I had purchased it. There was nothing I liked about it. There are so many better, cheaper and some even free, ampsims that are better than the Helix native. So when I got a email from Line6 and wanted to know my honest opinion about the plugin...I told them my honest opinion.