Posts by Kempermaniac

Ok guys, I figured out how the performance mode works best with the Roland FC-300. Well, it took me some hours, but now every problem that occured is solved. It was clear to me, that I like to work in "Patch Mode" with the FC-300, because this is the only mode, where you can name the patches. By working this way the FC-300 can always display the name of the current rig, so I don't have to look at the KPA to be informed. This is my guide:

First problem with the FC-300:
    It can send Midi-CC# (50-54 for slots 1-5) in Patch Mode, but this way the up and down pedals don't work and you can't switch between perfomances. The FC-300 needs to send Midi-PC# in order to switch banks/perfomances.

Second problem with the FC-300:
    If you use Midi-PC# instead of CC# your way ends at perfomance 26, slot 3. In Perfomance Mode the KPA now displays "Midi Prg #128, Midi Bank #1". The FC-300 now needs to send a Midi-Bank-Change in order to switch to Midi Bank #2. How can this be achieved? You need to change some global settings on the FC-300.

1. Press "Utility" and with the Parameter- und Value-Buttons change "SYS: PC MODE" to "SOUND MODULE", "SYS:Bnk Chg Mode" to "WAIT FOR A NUM", "SYS:Bank Extent" to "5", "SYS:Bank Step" to "5STEP" and "SYS:Bank Display" to "LINEAR".
    2. Exit Utility
    3. Switch to Standard Mode
    4. Now the FC-300 will display "MSB 0 LSB 0"
    5. With the Parameter- und Value-Buttons change the value of LSB to 1
    6. Press Number Pedal 1
    7. You're now on Perfomance 51, slot 3
    8. The KPA will display: "Midi Prg #126, Midi Bank #2". Yeah, you've made a Midi-Bank-Change! You now have a new set of 128 Midi-PC# and access to the performances above performance 26, slot 3.
    9. Use the up and down pedals and the number pedals (remember: we are still on Perfomance 51, slot 3) to have access to Performance 26, slot 4 up to Perfomance 52, slot 1.
    10. If you want to have access to the Performances above that, repeat step 5 and change the value of LSB from 2 to 5 (that's why we changed "SYS:Bank Extent" to "5" on step 1).
    11. Switch back to Patch Mode on the FC-300
    12. Why "WAIT FOR A NUM" (step 1)? This way you can choose each slot to be the first within the next Performance. For example: If you're on Performance 1, slot 1 and you're pressing the up pedal, the KPA will NOT switch to Performance 2, slot 1. The FC-300 waits for a second press on one of the number pedals 1 (first slot) to 5 (fifth slot).

Third problem with the FC-300:
    It can store "only" 100 patches, so the patch names (which are displaying the rig names if you like and if you've named them all on the FC-300) are also limited to 100 or 20 Performances with 5 slots. Therefore I recommend to use some common patch names, not only song-specific names.

Programming the FC-300 is a little PITA. There is NO software editor for it, as far as I know! For me the easiest way was creating a default patch and then copy it to the other patches. I recommend thinking a while about what you will need in EACH of your patches und using this as a default patch. My default patch is named "P1 S1" (for Performance 1, slot 1), sends PC# 1 and sends CC# 31 (for accessing the tuner) by pressing the Expression Pedal 2 switch. If you - for example - like to have a Booster in stomp D on each of your rigs, then this might be a default setting for you.

When you have finished your default patch, then copy it to the next patches on the FC-300. On these next patches you now only have to change PC# and patch names (Perfomance # and slot #. Please have a look at the manual of the FC-300 regarding how to copy patches, name patches, change PC# and store patches.

You can now think about the detailed setup of each performance and about what the FC-300 should control on each individually slot. Use the two control buttons, the two pedals and the two pedal switches to have control over whatever you like to switch on the KPA. If this is not enough for you, you can plug in some more pedals on the backside of the FC-300. The last step is to give each patch on the FC-300 a more meaningful name.

Good luck!

Kann mir jemand erklären wie ich beim FCB 1010 das Wah bzw. Pitch-Pedal nutzen kann. Ich will mich erst gar nicht ins mühselige Programmieren einarbeiten, da ich mir demnächst dann eh den Uno-Kemper-Chip holen möchte, aber die Expression-Pedale würde ich gerne jetzt schon nutzen. Kann mir da jemand von euch weiterhelfen?

PS: Müsste im Thread-Namen nicht eigentlich "auf" statt "in" stehen! :P

Ich hab kein FCB, aber Wah reagiert auf CC#1 und Pitch auf CC#4. Das musst du dem FCB irgendwie beibringen.

@ CLR-Owners: Do you have the same impression like me, that you have to use a post-stack-low-pass on almost every gainy rig? It seems to me, that the CLR has so much very high frequencies, it simply sounds better with a low pass behind the stack (less hiss/fizz). On clean rigs everything works fine without a low pass. What do you think about it? How do you cope with it?

You can change this behaviour with the utility-knob on the FC300. Parameter --> SYS Bnk Chg Mode --> Wait for a num

Hm...but there also must be Reverb and Delay on the rigs with Master set to mono. So I'm not sure that it depends on the output setting.

Sometimes I have a problem with the ducking parameter on delay. I never use ducking, so it's always set to zero. If I make some drastic changes e.g. feedback or delay time, sometimes nothing happens. I figured out, that the ducking parameter must display exactly <0.0> (it can also display -0.0 or +0.0). All I wanna say is: Check the ducking es well, if you suddenly have no delay and reverb on your sound. To me it's not logical, that it depends on the output setting, because that would mean, there is no delay and reverb with the output set to master mono. But THERE IS delay and reverb with this setting.