Posts by Delinquent

Welcome labrat, i was exposed to early Yes and Genesis in the 70's through my older brother and they are the ones I would say opened the floodgates of what music could be :D

I'm going to say that your issue is with your pickups. Carvin pickups aren't known for being particularly great; you'd do well to install a good aftermarket set of Duncans, DiMarzios, EMGs, Bareknuckles, etc.

I don't know about carvin pickups, but i find it difficult to believe that anybody can market a bad pickup in there guitars post 2000. I have a yammy pacififca, the really cheap one as my beater that i keep at work. It sounds just as good as my american standard (1996) if not better through the KPA. I have wound my own pickups to great success as well, its really not that hard to get right. Just my thoughts :rolleyes:

I have only owned the KPA for a month and i'm sure one day i will venture to try some commercial profiles.

But when people talked about swapping around cabinets and i picked up a whole bunch from someones dropbox (thanks and apologies for not remembering who) the realisation dawned that just about every second profile could be satisfying to the ears and fingers. Then you add the dynamic adjustments for the amp and cab sections and the rabbit hole goes even deeper.

Bottom line is it could be another six months or longer before i would consider commercial profiles, i just don't feel the need.

And I would always buy the whole packs because its always the one's you don't expect that blow you away, just like women :D

There's a clean s.mehle profile and london colour profile (65 amps london i think) that i just can't get pass. Be sure tweek to your taste, guitars and playing style before dissmissing any profile for the best experience.

Hi Will,

I think i read on TGP (i only lurk there, its just to much for me)that you are monitoring with HD280's.

Please be aware this is not a great match IMO. :(

Having said that i have always enjoyed your contrabutions there (TGP)

Im on a mission to find the best match with headphones, keep a look out for a post soon.

Hi there,

I have put quite a bit of time into researching headphones for the KPA as it will be my primary reference.

My first set used with the KPA was a pair of sennheiser hd280 that I bought to track acoustic guitar. This set of phones is very similar to the set you have in Ohms, sensitivity, drivers and also they are circumaural closed back in design. They were also dissapointing. They are primarily designed not to leak to much sound wich is neccesary sometimes but is usually a compromise.

I have since bought a pair of AKG Q701. They cost more but the improvement is significant.

They are a full open back design so they do leak quite a bit, but the soudstage is very satisfying. They are very comfortable with a self adjusting headstrap, quite light on the head and not fatiguing at all.

Most importantly they also look super cool :D

BUT - they are quite difficult to drive and require quite a bit of oomph ( technical term ) from the the headphone out. The KPA can drive them at a suitable volume but you have to crank the headphone output ( accessed in a sub-menu somewhere) and the volume and the master. This is a sure sign the headphones are not been driven to their full potential, so we cant have that can we.

So on its way to me hopefully I have a class A headphone amp to see if we can improve matters more. I will report back in about a week on my findings. You wiil see if you do a search on this forum that some have found better performance using the headphone out on mixers been fed bt the Kpa master outs as well, I assume for the same reason.

Having said this of course it all costs money, but even if you don't want to spend $600 + for phones and amp, I'm sure with a little research you could find a good set of open back design cans that don't require an amplifier. I almost went the way of the Shure srh1440 that got really goog reviews from audiophile sites and they apparently can be driven by an ipod.