Posts by djdyer

I use the kemper remote live and generally set up my rigs for both rythm and lead use. I use the morph feature on the remote to boost the rig volume and add more delay for my solos. I have been morphing the rig volume to get an extra 3db which works well. However this method is not ideal when i want to rebalance all the volumes in a performance as i have 10 rig volumes to adjust. So i have now switched to morphing the amp volumes to get the extra 3db which then gives me just 5 rig volumes to rebalance. Anyone see a problem with this approach? Will boosting the amp volume affect the speaker tone or any of the post amp effects? Anyone have a better approach?

I believe that the kemper remote can show the 8 effects types for each rig on the screen. I don't have the remote and have been trying without success to get the same effects information to show on screen of the kemper in performance mode. Is there any way i can do that, or is it only indicated by the led colour above each effect button?

Thanks for this wonderful set of high quality profiles
    Easily as good as many of the top commercial profiles I have used.
    So many articulate clean tones to choose from. I particularly like the Badger + Marshall Cab set.
    And the overdriven profiles clean up very well as the notes fade away, with hardly any crackle.
    This collection is all anyone could need really.

I use a cheap mixer with USB interface and leave it always on. Kemper and keyboards to the mixer and mixer to the speakers. That way I can just play the instrument without turning on the computer. However, this is a compromise as it has no input level meters, the mic pres are not high quality and the recording via usb is onlu 16 bit. The ideal solution would be a quality USB interface with its own power supply that is able to operate as a mixer without turning on the computer. I really like the focusrite scarlet range (I have a 2i2 ) but unfortunately even the bigger units in this range with their own power supply need the computer to be on and talking via usb before any signal is sent to the speakers. I tried a few of them in a shop to test this.

There are a few USB interfaces I know of priced around £400 that can also work as a stand alone mixer with the computer turned off:
    - Roland Octa-capture
    - Tascam US-20x20

Anyone know of any cheaper USB interfaces that can do this?

Thanks for all the responses. I had assumed the noise gate knob was just a simple noise gate. I should have known better! I just tried it on full and yes it is working to reduce hum all the time. Quite a nice effect on the tone actually. Like an auto swell.
    However, i could not find a setting that was as effective as the hum debugger. There is still a noticeable hum that appears as the note is decaying. The hum then disappears as the note ends just like a normal noise gate. The hum debugger cures this somehow.
    Can i suggest that when you press the input button one of the 4 buttons above the screen is labelled 'sample hum' and pressing and holding this button tells the kemper to analyse the hum it hears and then only correct for that sampled hum rather than to continuously listen to the signal and try to seperate the hum from the notes. That could improve the hum cancelling routine for home or recording situations where we can keep still and the hum would be constant. Only my assumption ofcourse that this would help.
    I've not tried changing to noise cancelling pickups. Too lazy!
    Ironically, now that I can remove the hum effectively with a simple tap of a pedal I find that the hum does not bother me anymore and I leave the pedal off most of the time. Seems it was not the hum that was annoying me but the inability to get rid of it!

I recently purchased an Electro Harmonics Hum Debugger pedal to try to get rid of a really annoying hum that I have been getting from my single coil pickups. This pedal is not a noise gate, it uses a DSP to identify the hum in the guitar output signal and then continuously filter it out. Remarkably it works really well, with only a very small effect on the guitar tone that I can completely remove (to my ears anyway) by increasing the middle and presence a little. It is a really useful alternative to a noise gate which has no effect on the hum when the gate is open.

I’m not sure how the pedal identifies the hum in the signal, but I would think the Kemper team would find this quite easy to do. It could work as a pedal in slot 1, or an on/off option on the input. The Hum Debugger pedal only has an on/off switch and must be continuously analysing the signal to identify the changing hum as the guitarist moves around. The Kemper could go one step further in a recording environment where the guitarist can keep still, by having a calibration function which allows it to first analyse the hum on its own without any notes being played. This would maybe further minimise the residual hum and also the effect of the hum cancelling on the guitar tone.

Real shame that the 'view all posts since last visit" has gone. This was a great feature in the old version that I used all the time.
    The 'mark all threads as read' option is an OK workaround.. BUT.. it does not seem to be available in the Android version. Can this be fixed?

But this is when it happened.. as all the ones that I did not rename etc are still working correctly. so really no idea.. just something odd somewhere... but as said once im done with this workload I'll investigate it with support in the correct format.

The profile name is saved inside the profile itself. So to change the profile name the RM would have to make changes to the profile content and resave it. So not impossible that a bug in RM is changing more than just the profile name and altering the sound of the profile. However, I would have thought that with all the well trained ears on this forum that quite a few people would have reported this by now.

Just installed Rig Manager and loving the preview feature for easy access to the rig exchange.
    Looking forward to many 'lost' evenings exploring the 5000+ community rigs.
    My only minor grumble is the very basic search options, but maybe I am missing something.
    Has any one found some search string syntax that allows options above a single text string?, e.g. "Marshall -JTM" for all rigs with the word Marshall but without the word JTM.
    Any way to only search in amp names?
    Nothing in the manual and nothing I have tried has worked.

Not sure if there is any special hardware in the KPA that is essential for the signal processing, but if not then I would happily pay for a stand alone software version of the KPA working on PC/MAC working in the same way as amplitube 3. This would be the ideal reamping tool. Good way to get more income from existing KPA owners as well!

Staying with the expertly tweaked profiles with propper guidance on how to get back to the raw profiles is the best all round solution I think.
    Andy's ability to get the best out of each profile is second to none, and definately worth having as a starting point.
    Manually getting back to the raw profiles seems to be quite simple. See www.kemper-amps.com/forum/inde…ad&threadID=7555&pageNo=1 for my conclusion on how to do this.. but some official guidance from Andy would be handy, especially if the gain has been changed in the tweaked version.