Posts by amiller

Can't imagine a profile would sound that good using a distant mic (room sound)

That may be true, however, I'm interested in knowing if the room size is a factor when swapping out cabs. If, for instance, distant mic placement is used, does the "room" sound become a part of the cab? My home studio room is very small and not very well acoustically treated. I like the idea of being able to use a cab configuration that was created in a large studio and reaping the benefits of the acoustics of the large studio. Is that what is happening when I use a professionally created profile that was created in a large studio? :)

Yes - the sound of the cabinet includes the influence of microphone technique. If you profile your amp twice, with different mic positions, you can swap one of the cabinets and the two Rigs will sound pretty much the same (the two refining sessions add a degree of difference).

So, the mic and mic positions are part of the profile. What about the actual size and acoustics of the room. Does a cab from profile done in a big studio room sound like it's been done in a big studio when you use that cab with a profile that was done in a little bedroom size home studio?

So, what does changing the cabinet on a profile really do? I thought it just changed the cabinet + what ever speakers are in the new cab. I did some experimenting tonight and I think there's more going on ... or at least it sounds that way to me. Does changing to a new cab also change how that cab was miked, i.e., mic position, mic choice and the size of the room the cab was miked in? I made a profile of my Lonestar set on the clean channel with a Bogner Red pedal and a Wampler Euphoria pedal hitting the front of the amp. The profile didn't sound all that great. I figured that was because of my poor mic skills and my small room. When I changed the cab on that profile to one from a commercially made profile...WOW, suddenly that profile sounds great.

What do you guys think? Does anyone know the correct answer?

Really enjoyed this! Very melodic!

Thanks for listening and thanks for the kind words. My hands don't work like they used to, no can shred, so I really strived to work on melody. I'm glad you enjoyed it ... it was lots of fun doing. :)

Nice! :thumbup:
    There is a lot of sustain in your solo. It sounds great.
    Which guitar are your playing? Which profile? Can you share it (hoping it's a free rig...)?

Sorry, I just got back to your response about which profile. This is one of Pete's (okstrat) excellent profiles. It's named "5 PTBogXTC Red A+6). I tweaked it only slightly to work in the mix. You can get it here Pete's Profiles

All guitars, including bass, are Kemper. The inspiration for this song...I was in bed on a summer morning listening to the end of a thunder storm and drifted back off to sleep and started dreaming.

Please allow about 30 seconds for the song to download.

Dreaming

Pretty darn good for 1 day. :D Yeah, this is not your usual tone but it's pretty cool hear new tones from you.

Bob, there are a lot of great profiles out there and a lot of bad ones too. TheAmpFactory has some of the best around at a very reasonable rate...like $8 for a dozen or so profiles of an amp. It takes a little while to sus out what does and does not work for you. Plus, once you have a profile that mostly works, it's easy to tweak it to perfection. Check out the Definition parameter under amp parameter. Also, don't forget to experiment with replacing cabs within a rig...can make a HUGE difference.

By the way, the new public beta Rig Manager is pretty cool but full of bugs. I haven't come across any damaging bugs but they can be annoying. Even with the bugs Rig Manager is very helpful in managing your profiles and letting you quickly audition and compare profiles.

I'm looking forward to hearing some of the most killer Kemper clips from you. I'm also looking forward to some great profiles from you. :thumbup:

I like the basic functionality of RM. It's better than having nothing and I thank the Kemper team for creating it and giving it to us free. Having said all of that, I've never used a product with soooooooo many bugs. I won't go into a list of bugs now because they've mostly been written about already. I will mention that I had an instance of saving changes to a profile on the Profiler and it showed up in RM as 5 profiles with the same name...very strange indeed. I also tried to delete a single profile and RM just keeps spinning away until I have to restart it.

Yes indeed!!! Rig Manager has enabled me, for the first time, to manage my Rigs. :thumbup:

In fact, because of Rig Manager, I've gotten my total rigs on the Kemper down to 15. I've got the rest of my rigs nicely organized in folders on my PC. It was also easy to make a backup copy on an external hard drive. All is right with the Kemper world. :D

Thank you Kemper teem!!!

The instructions state that I can have different locations for my profiles. For instances, "Local," "Rig Exchange," "Backup" and others. The instructions also state that I can have an attached USB memory stick as a location. Does the phrase "Attached USB" mean a USB memory stick attached to the Kemper Profiler only or can Rig Manager also display a memory stick attached to the PC?

I thought I'd start a separate more specific thread for some of the database/connection errors that are occurring.

There seems to be two distinct types of errors regarding Rig Manager and Rig Exchange.

1) Rig Manager attempts to download a list of rigs from Rig Exchange, noted by the progress bar at the bottom or Rig Manager, but never completes.
    2) Although the "Test Connection" returns an "OK," nothing happens. The progress bar at the bottom of Rig Manager does nothing it does not indicate it is attempting to download.

I've tried Rig Manager from two different location. At location ONE I see no progress or even an attempt to download indicated at all...absolutely nothing happens. At location TWO the progress bar indicates that Rig Manager is attempting to download a list of rigs, but it never completes. Location TWO does not pass the "Test Connection," probably because there is a firewall setup. Location ONE, however, has no firewall issue and does pass the "Test Connection" test but the progress bar indicates nothing is happening...it is NOT even trying to download anything.