Posts by Will_Chen

Confirmed. UNO chip is unnecessary for stompbox operation. As long as the FCB1010 has the most recent official firmware, the unit can be programmed using the lower row for program change and the upper row to send CC messages only. There is a generic sysex file on the FCB1010 Yahoo User group and a couple editors for the device. Looking forward to getting the FCB1010 programmed, one step closer to trying it out with a group...

Been reading up on the FCB1010 stock features. I may be mistaken, but it seems like the an FCB1010 preset doesn't have to send an PC message? If this is correct, the UNO chip really isn't necessary for stomp box operation. It seems you could program presets 1-5 to trigger in the bottom row and then presets 6-10 to send CC messages only. Lights above the switches would likely messed up though...there's an editor here which appears pretty straight forward. Will try over the weekend. http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PCEditorBeta.htm

All the needed info in the wiKPA as well, folks :rolleyes:

If it were only online and searchable... ;)

the board I have actually doesn't have the current Eureka but an older prom dedicated to the Adrenalinn. I replaced the stock prom and preset changes work (though unsure how to actually create a preset on the unit over stock, need to reference the manual or wiKPA). One of the expression pedals did nothing in stock format and the other freaked out the Kemper (display flickered, went blank, and returned after about 10 seconds) seemingly trying to control all the effects at once. Need to look into stock options regarding programming this thing.

Hmmm...

Presuming the front panel board only contains stuff pertinent to the knobs, one might be able to retrofit the main guts into a (slight large) floorboard and mount the front panel into a table sized flat box allow one to have a compact and portable floor unit and hook up the tactile control when one wanted it. though gotta say, having all the dedicated knobs is very nice. the format really is no larger than a small tube head. If it had a power amp which mounted inside the hole in the back...

I've sworn off the rig exchange. Too much of a distraction! I could spend all my free time just auditioning them... not to mention that I can make almost any rig sound great with some tweaking. :wacko:

Yes, the quality of the commercial profiles keeps me off the exchange. I spent enough time wading though them already and its so hit or miss. Not the case with the commercial stuff.

Thanks Will that's a good video. Would you say the actual sound of the new Digitech Whammy is improved over the older models or is it the same core whammy sound with some new features added?

Improved is tricky here. The only other dedicated Whammy (ie not part of an RP/GSP) I've owned was the Whammy II years ago. While it is called the Whammy, it isn't a pure reissue as it offers polyphonic operation. So in that area it is a huge improvement over the old Whammy. However, there are those who really like the glitchy nature of the older Whammy's. This gets close with the classic mode, but seems a bit more stable and less chaotic. So if ye seeketh the glitch, perhaps the older was better. The true bypass of the V is a huge improvement of the poor buffer/bypass of the Whammy II I had years ago though. It does however, have the same general Whammy vibe but sounds bit higher fidelity IMO. Most the users I've spoken with who have owned older units and the V have preferred the V, but that could be GAS as much as anything...

(For TGP member, I've posted this over there in the Digital forum as well)

After spending a bunch of time experimenting with the stock profiles and some free ones on the exchange, I just felt like I wasn't getting the full potential out of the unit especially after listening to some of the clips from Armin (soundside.de) and and44 (theampfactory.com). To date, Soundside has seemed to focus moreso on the vintage side of things and the Amp Factory on the Boutique so last night I purchased bundle II from soundside (mostly Fender Tweed stuff) and the Trainwreck Express profile from The Amp Factory (note there are some very good free profiles available from The Amp factory as well).

So far I'm very impressed. I've only gotten to try them out via headphones, but to me across the board they give a better impression of how we are used to hearing amps (ie not with one's ear pressed against the speaker). The companies take different approaches in what they deliver so one might be more suited to your tastes than the other.

Soundside profiles come with a few ready made presets with effects per amp but go to great lengths to provide "raw profiles" of the amps at many different control settings to try and give the user as full a picture of the amp's tonal range as possible. So for example for the Fender Pro Amp you would get multiple profiles named ProAmp V02 T01, ProAmp V02 T03, ProAmp V02 T04, etc where V = volume setting and T= tone setting. Now likely no one would keep all these profile loaded as honestly there are a maybe 2 sweet spots for each amp, but as every user's sweet spots differ, the variety is nice though the auditioning process can be slightly tedious. The pack also includes some stomp box into clean Fender profiles but honestly the strength of the pack are the pure amp profiles. Overall, I'm very pleased with this pack and would definitely recommend it to Kemper users looking for old school tweed tones.

The Amp Factory takes a different approach entirely looking for the sweet spots of the amp and shooting a few different profiles with various dirtboxes (Keely TS, Klon, HoneyBee, and Ziggy) and some effects heavy configurations. Essentially, the focus is on pure playability out of box. The profiles are named according to gain (ex clean, push, cranked, etc) making it extremely easy to find a style of tone. and the patches are typically tweaked with EQ and reverb (though I generally prefer much less reverb than the profiles employ). A few specific words on the Trainwreck profile, this is the most dynamic experience I've ever had in regards to volume knob interactivity. Of course, that's one aspect the actual amp is famous for but the range of gain control possible with my PRS SE Singlecut (with treble bleed) was surreal, greater than any real amps I've personally played. With some small tweaks to the Cranked profile I could literally go from pristine to very chunky with the volume knob. I already have my eyes on 2 other profiles I'd like to pickup.

So, are they worth the money? While the Amp Factory is a much better deal ($20 USD at soundside vs ~$8.30 USD at The Amp Factory ala carte or bundles averaging ~$7 USD per amp at Soundside vs ~$6 USD at The Amp Factory) each offers unique content which in my humble opinion is an upgrade over much of what's provided with the box as well as many freely submitted by users. That said, the frugal side of me does take pause that such an expensive device currently requires additional purchases in order to realize its full potential. That's in no way a criticism of these venders, but I think in future firmwares or subsequent products it might be a good idea for Kemper to be slightly more selective in what ships with the unit.

IME, a FRFR based solution will rarely sound like a traditional amp in a room because you are comparing 2 vastly different designs. Really, in the world of acoustical science guitar amps are shit. They tend to be very directional, multi-speaker setups introduce all kinds of comb-filtering/phase cancellation, bandwidth limitations, etc. We as guitarists have simply learned to exploit all these sonic defects to our advantage (and likely have simply grown accustomed to the sound over the decades). In contrast, the rest of the audio world moved to eliminate the deficiencies of speaker box by implementing time corrected multiple drivers with cross overs to expand the frequency response and reduce comb-filtering, deaden enclosures to reduce resonance, vastly increase projection off axis, etc.

As such if you want the Kemper to sound exactly like your amp in the room, run the monitor out without cabinets into the same power amp and speaker of your amp. Of course that means that any other profiles you have will be limited by your amps tonal signature, good or bad. For folks like me who really can't crank up my amp, studio cats needing to exactly recreate a recording chain at a later date, or folks who really like having a million amps at their finger tips digital gear like the Kemper is a God Send. But if all your trying to do is exactly copy the sound of your amp from a specific position in your room, just play your amp and be done with it.

Slightly off topic here but I ended up buying a Morpheus Bomber and im really disappointed with it as it has very bad lag which made it unusable for what i wanted to do with it. Not one single review I read pointed this issue out they even said it was very fast tracking with no lagg. The Lesson learned here is Never trust reviews from magazines

You should try out the Whammy V. There is a very subtle latency (less by comparison than my Electro Harmonix Ravish pedal and significantly less than the Zoom G3 pitch shifting, but slightly more than the GSP1101 likely due to the polyphonic aspect) but its totally usable. Great pedal IMHO, you can watch my demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMBNdqdvULA.

...most rigs can sound interesting just by turning gain down.

Also, I've found the Kemper very, very reactive to the guitar volume knob, more so that any of the more affordable modelers I've owned. There's some profiles out there which can go from clean to pretty darn hairy with a twist of the volume knob.

It seems that nobody was able to use the Lopass and Highpass from the Wah section.
    Any valuable results?

Those seem to work fine. I admit to being new to the device and not knowing all the features yet. It would be nice however to have some type of master EQ setting for live usage in order to make global tweaks based on the room being played. Not something I need at the moment, but as you guys are still working on performance mode I think a global EQ (or maybe even assigned per output) would be a feature many would appreciate.