Posts by Deny

I thought this was an available function but went to check today and it isn't.

Please add a "export filtered rigs" option as this way it's possible to export only my favorites or rigs that I have profiled which makes organizing them much, much easier. Thanks.

Had the red flashing screen of death last night as well. Sigh. if I have problems of power up tonight I'll try to boot from USB and then restore a backup. The Kemper is a great sounding unit for sure, but with the lack of some effects I need and now a stability issue (which I should add I've never had with any other multi-fx unit and I've owned darn near everything less expensive with the exception of the 11r) its relegated to bedroom usage only. Extremely, extremely disappointing...

I did that last time which fixed the issue. However, IMHO a $2,000 should stable enough to not warrant multiple flash resets in less than 6 months of ownership? Do I want to risk a failed start and mess with booting from USB or formatting the flash in a live scenario? Kemper needs to address this ASAP as I guarantee its going to affect the perception of potential customers as there's now 2 threads of owners having stability issues.

Agreed. But if your previous flash memory format/init was with a previous firmware version, I'd say it's starting to look like backup-fw upgrade-flash format-flash init-restore seems to be a good practice with the KPA.

Is what I use with the Camper and no hiss.... ?(

Now I'm starting to worry that I got a bad unit :(

Just out of curiosity, what do you use for monitoring your KPA? I'm connecting it to a QSC K10, which is known for emphasizing high end so depending on your setup you might not hear it as much hiss as I do.

I think, he´s talking about the cables from kpa-out to camplifier-in.

Exactly :)

Not trying to be a dick here, but I don't think the Camplifier comes with the speaker cables, so you can just get one with L-shaped jacks (I agree they're nicer). In fact I don't know a single amplifier or poweramp that comes with speaker cables?

I was just suggesting that it would look nicer like that in the product picture ;)

Does it sound like Steve Stevens "ray gun effect"? You can hear it at the end of Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell", AFAIK he achieves it using some modulation effect like a chorus or flanger and it's a fairly sought after thing :)

Thanks for the reply and sorry if my last question (suggestion) was a bit confusing. I just noticed you used two short 1/4" cables with *straight* plugs to connect the Kemper outs to the amp inputs. Just thought "L" plugs would look neater, also if you made those cables shorter so they run closer to the back of the Kemper their footprint for transportation would be negligible so the user wouldn't even have to remove them so often.

Looks really nice. A few questions:

1. Does it have a fan? How hot does it get? I understand it's cold in the northern hemisphere right now, but I live in Brazil and these days it's not uncommon for the temperature to reach 35 Celsius. Is there any danger of damaging either the amp or the KPA because of it getting too hot?

2. Is it possible to have some sort of adapter installed so it runs with just one power cord?

3. This one's just a suggestion, why don't you connect it with short cables using amphenol L plugs and retake the pictures? IMHO it would look nice and that way the user would only have to remove one of them if he/she wanted to profile something, otherwise they could just stay put.

I already have one of those :P
    It's a bit clumsy though, I was looking for something lighter and easier to carry. The base of that thing is particularly cumbersome, it takes a lot of space and doesn't fit nicely anywhere :(

The speed of sound at sea level is ~1130 feet per second, which means ~1.13 feet per millisecond. 2.38 ms compared to the 2 ms by a competitor (unless that's changed) is not a difference of 2-3ft but a few inches. I have serious doubts you would be able to tell the difference between 2 and 2.38 ms latency in a blind test. I'd bet some speakers have a reaction time slower than that. And if the added latency from your FRFR bugs you, eliminate it.

Well I told you I was being anal :)

Just to clarify, when I say 2-3ft I was talking about the 2.38ms, not the difference between the KPA and the competitor. In general my thoughts on latency are: "the less, the better". Also one of the reasons I've posted this is so the software developers keep an eye on latency while developing new software as a while ago it was detected by some users that the latency had increased to over 3ms from one FW version on.

I know I should get a FRFR speaker without DSP but after buying the KPA that's gonna have to wait for a while. Besides most of the FRFR speakers I can get in Brazil are Behringers which I'm told aren't very good.

Why do you think all profiles are loaded into memory? I have nothing read about it. The profiles are very small so the time to load a profile is also very short.

Because I've read that the more profiles you have, the longer the KPA takes to boot up.

What do you mean with audio and switching latency? The audio latency is 3,5ms, the switching latency is below 2ms...

As far as I know the audio latency has been recently lowered to 2.38ms, but the competitor's is still a bit lower. I know, it means standing 2-3ft away from the speaker, but if you have a FRFR speaker with embedded DSP that's another 2ms, which means 4-5ft you need to stand closer to your speaker in order not to feel disconnected. I'll admit I'm being a bit anal on the subject but I still think it's important that if it's not lowered, that it's at least kept as it currently is.

Performance mode seems to have gained momentum amongst KPA users, and I've been giving it a bit of thought on how to make it a bit more stage friendly.

First thing that pops to mind is this: instead of pre-loading all profiles into memory during boot, why not introduce a system option which when turned on allows for preloading only those profiles which have MIDI program change numbers assigned to them? If the user wants to load another profile fine, only the time it will take to switch to that profile will be a bit longer since it will have to be loaded on demand. That way the boot time could become almost instantaneous (depending on # of profiles with MIDI pgm# assigned), which is definitely an improvement as we wouldn't have to worry about power outages.

Now regarding performance mode... not that it's essential but seems you guys intend to work on it anyway, so one thing I'd ask is, if there's any way audio and switching latency could be improved, that would be awesome (not that it's a problem right now). Some functionalities like USB could be disabled in performance mode in order to save processig power for said latency imprevement. I also think that a MIDI monitor utility showing like the last 20 MIDI messages received by the unit would be useful (it could be available through the soft key used for USB in browse mode).