Posts by vablows

I started out with the Kemper and the ELX112p.

It wasn't bad, but the difference when I A/B'd the ELX and CLR was night and day.

I mean, not even close.

SO you can also imagine that the CLR would be outstanding for FOH as well.

BUT, as someone else mentioned, if your FOH's are always ELX's, then I would use that as my backline as well so you hear exactly what is coming out of the PA as well.

Sounds to me like you are engulfed in your own little "bubble of sound" as you say, you may have answered your own question.

No wonder you can't hear anyone else, you have 1 monitor behind you and 1 in front of you with just your guitar.

So you're getting blasted with your guitar, but no one else is hearing you and you can't hear anyone else.

Running stereo this way is the worst way to do things.

Try going mono, with just 1 DXR behind you slightly angled towards the drummer and see how that works.

This way you should have no problems hearing yourself and everyone else in the band.

I always have an A/B rig going-

1st rig is for rhythym, with my basic effect and reverb.
    Then I switch to the lead rig, which always has a booster (I usually use the PB Confidence stomp), a little delay, and a volume boost (with wah in the first stomp on touch mode in case I want/need it)

I just can't get all of those things to happen at once any other way, so it's just easier to get them all on instantly in a new rig.

It takes some planning, but it's well worth it and the lag time from switching will never be noticed live (it's virtually nothing).

I used a Lexicon MPX-G2 processor with my my amps pre-KPA because it was the only MIDI controller that could do all 3 things with 1 foot switch click.

I should also say, I always use the same rig within a song- just use the booster in front for a little more gain.

I don't like changing actual amp rigs mid song, just too much of a difference in tone for me (not that anyone in the audience would ever know but I'm anal)

I am in the same boat, I have tried hundreds of other profiles, including my own, soundside, free ones, and nothing can touch the realism of the TAF profiles.

I am mainly using medium gain/crunch tones, and my 2 faves are the Blackstar Series One? (forget the actual name) and the Carr v6

1 note for me, I couldn't use them before with my EV speaker, now with my Atomic CLR I can actually hear everything as it truly sounds.

I also dial the presence down to around -3.0 on my profiles- for whatever reason, they are always too bright for me with the factory settings.

I always use a duplicate rig for solos- reason being that for solos I add a touch of gain, volume, and delay.
    So I need 3 things to happen all at once, and for me there is no other way to achieve this without switching rigs.
    It's so fast that I have never had a problem in the 4 shows I have done with the Kemper so far.

Atomic CLR Cab

There is no difference when plugging into house PA when presets are dialed in using the CLR, totally accurate representation.

I wish I would have had it before, I profiled my old tube rig with the EV 112 I was using before and now those profiles are un-usable....

I use the method of guitar out direct to Kemper
    GK output in to Roland
    L/R outs from Roland into Alt/Return inputs on Kemper
    Midi out from Roland to MIDI in on Kemper

With this method, the Roland is always on- or you can use the FX loop to override and insert the GR-55 anywhere in the signal chain (just about).

This gives you the ultimate flexibility, and you can use the alternate tunings and acoustic guitar stuff inserted pre-amp, then use synth/fx stuff post amp and effects.

Plus, plugging direct from guitar's output into Kemper gives the best guitar tone possible with only 2 cables to deal with from the guitar (I go wireless with the guitar out, and plug the 13 pin in and out depending on if I'm using it or not live).

I use the loop in the mod slot, that way only delay and reverb are after it and I can use the ctl pedal (midi CC #24 or 26, can't remember) to switch it on and off.

If you have the new 1.6 firmware installed, you can plug the GR-55 L/mono out into the alt input and the right output to the loop return input and you will have the GR-55 always in the chain post effects uncolored by anything as an Aux in all the time without using any slots for the loop.

Then, use the stereo loop and you can have it inserted anywhere in the chain if you use it in the stomps slot or x/mod slot.
    Then you can turn it on and off if you want.

I tried it this way but don't like having the synth always "on", I like to control when I let it in the chain or not but try this way and you may like it!

I use a GR55 to control the Kemper also.
    I have each setting on the Kemper defining the volume pedal as on or off for the Kemper (some presets I do not use the volume pedal at all.
    Then I use the ctl pedal set for the Mod slot, and I have the loop there so I can bring the synth in or out based on my needs.

Go to master settings on the GR55, then MIDI, and change the expression pedal to CC7.
    Then make sure you have the Kemper expression pedal on as well, and know where you place it, pre-stomps or post effects.

If that doesn't work, let me know, I have 1 setting in particular where I have PCM 1 only on the heel position of the expression, then on toe position it turns on both PCM 1&2 and I control the volume with the volume knob on the GK-3.

I also would go into the master settings and make sure you have the expression pedal set to "patch setting", and turn off the expression switch in there also.

Ok, ran it through rehearsal last night and the Kemper Master was on 4.2 and the Atomic master was at 12 o'clock position (half way) to get stage volume needed.
    Quite a contrast to the EV's settings, almost half of the "volume" needed.

It sounded great, I got crap from my other guitar player about how small my rig is and that it looked wimpy compared to his marshall half stack and his huge pedal board.
    He actually ended up telling me I was too loud a couple of times and I just laughed inside.
    Then he was complaining afterwards about how much crap he had to load into his truck while I walked out with my whole rig in one trip.

I will definitely do a video next week so everyone can hear it.

I knew the Kemper was great, but I have never heard my synth sound so good before, now I am extremely pleased with it and excited to work with it more.
    I didn't use it to it's full capacity before because it just didn't sound as good as I wanted it to through the EV but now I am truly blown away.

I got my CLR cab Monday and will post a thorough review as soon as I can with video-
    I have band rehearsal tonight so I will see how it performs with the group but upon plug in it is immediate that this is a "true" sound.

I use mine with a Roland GR-55 synth and the Kemper, and I waited for the CLR because the buzz on it led me to believe it would be the best of the bunch for running both and the crispness of the cab is already impressing me beyond what I envisioned.

I haven't really tweaked any presets but one thing is for sure, it definitely needs less volume to get the same perceived loudness, if that makes sense.

I have it at 3 o'clock on the cab and 4 on the Kemper's master and it is blowing my face off.

I was previously using an EV ELX 112p and had the master cranked all the way on that, and the Kemper's master at 7.1 for band rehearsal so I will report back on what I needed volume-wise wqith the CLR but the EV is "rated" at 1000 watts versus the CLR at 500 but the CLR would demolish the EV in a battle.

Stay tuned!

I am having the same problem, upgraded to new firmware in hopes of using the Aux In full time without having to eat up the Mod slot but it's not working for me.